BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #111
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Has anyone had any success coding off Soft Stop? (SST)?
Open the MK60 trace file in NCSDummy and it should be very straight forward... NCSDummy has it defined with an explanation of what it does.

It looks like you would want to set it to "wert_00" to disable it, but you would have to verify the data values of the available variables.

Here is a trace file comparison sheet I put together a few years back: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Would be nice if someone actually took the time to put a concise guide together. The OP was X1 specific and doesn't translate to 128i/135i specific functions. It would also be nice if someone coded their car for a BBK (+sbpr or whatever the $vo code is) and then pulled before and after trace files to see what changed. A knowledgeable German translator would help too.

Last edited by bbnks2; 02-28-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #112
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
It would also be nice if someone coded their car for a BBK (+sbpr or whatever the $vo code is) and then pulled before and after trace files to see what changed. A knowledgeable German translator would help too.
I'd be interested in knowing what you mean by coding for a BBK.
There wasn't a BBK option on the 128i/135i. The BMW Performance Brake kit isn't a BBK - it's the exact same calipers as a 135i but painted yellow with the same rotors but cross-drilled - useless for the track due to cracking issues.
Unless you mean 1M brakes, which may have required different coding on a 1M, but those can only only fitted on a 1M and may have different hardware, e.g. master cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #113
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what you mean by coding for a BBK.
There wasn't a BBK option on the 128i/135i. The BMW Performance Brake kit isn't a BBK - it's the exact same calipers as a 135i but painted yellow with the same rotors but cross-drilled - useless for the track due to cracking issues.
Unless you mean 1M brakes, which may have required different coding on a 1M, but those can only only fitted on a 1M and may have different hardware, e.g. master cylinder.
This discussion was had in another thread and it was determined that there is supposed to be coding performed when installing the 1-series BMW performance brakes regardless of whether or not the hardware is identical. The assumption is that the coding provides more performance oriented braking and stability programming.

We know that +SPBR parameter is added to the $VO to denote to the dealer that the car has BMW performance brake kit. This $VO parameter ensures that when the dealer updates the cars modules at a later date that the performance software is NOT overwritten with stock software (the VO dictates to ISTA what software the car should get).

I guess it is still not clear whether or not the 1-series has this ability to get coding at all? Like I said, someone with the time could test all this by adding the brake option to the $vo, applying changes to the entire car, and then comparing the before and after trace files. This would show if and what was changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #114
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Has anyone had any success coding off Soft Stop? (SST)?
Follow up:

I had to do some coding today to turn off my e-diff. My n55 135i does not appear to have sst (soft stop):

The default value was wert_0 with a data value of 0. There was no other option available.

If you review the spreadsheet I linked earlier it appears the 128i and the n54 335i trace files both show that those cars do have soft stop assist. I remember turning it off on my n51. Set it to wert_0 if you want it off.

Last edited by bbnks2; 03-09-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #115
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

helpful write up!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:56 AM   #116
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

I will have another look this week because even after i downgraded my DSC software, NCS Dummy showed no alternative options for SST.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #117
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Is there any electronic nannies you should leave on when tracking these cars? Only thing I would want is ABS any maybe an on/off for traction control.

Also, should I leave the e-diff on if I haven't yet installed an LSD?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #118
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

Wanted to follow up on this. I'm one of those hardcore track people, whose car has a real LSD, and had all of this electronic intervention coded out. And...It made no discernible difference in the way the car handles, on street, or on the track.

Although, I will say that no longer having the pre-pressurized brake stand-by thing active makes the okay-at-best brakes on this car truly awful. Pedal is soft and spongy and no amount of bleeding seems to bring it to normalcy.

Really need to hit the lotto so I can afford a true big brake kit and get rid of the garbage factory brakes on this car.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      03-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #119
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

That's a really interesting insight, thank you. Might wait til I'm finding these limits and these are slowing me down before coding them out
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #120
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Wanted to follow up on this. I'm one of those hardcore track people, whose car has a real LSD, and had all of this electronic intervention coded out. And...It made no discernible difference in the way the car handles, on street, or on the track.

Although, I will say that no longer having the pre-pressurized brake stand-by thing active makes the okay-at-best brakes on this car truly awful. Pedal is soft and spongy and no amount of bleeding seems to bring it to normalcy.

Really need to hit the lotto so I can afford a true big brake kit and get rid of the garbage factory brakes on this car.

?what kind of pads are you running? You should have bigger brakes than me, (I have a 128) and mine are fantastic. I mean, literally, the best thing on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #121
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey, so I have a nanny/limp mode question.

My last session of the day last weekend, I was going for broke on sticker tires, trying to pick up some time. After warming the tires, I start flogging on the car, (128 N51) after a few corners, it totally shits the bed. Car won't rev, no power, etc. etc.

I am pretty sure it went into some sort of limp mode or something. Is there a way I can track that down?

Disclaimer - I used bimmergeeks to do my coding for the nannies/TPMS/Airbag stuff. I do have all the tools he installed, but no idea what I am doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #122
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post

My last session of the day last weekend, I was going for broke on sticker tires, trying to pick up some time. After warming the tires, I start flogging on the car, (128 N51) after a few corners, it totally shits the bed. Car won't rev, no power, etc. etc.

I am pretty sure it went into some sort of limp mode or something. Is there a way I can track that down?

Disclaimer - I used bimmergeeks to do my coding for the nannies/TPMS/Airbag stuff. I do have all the tools he installed, but no idea what I am doing.
Brake disc overheating. It's covered in here.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #123
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:

How is someone supposed to help you if you do t post the codes? Do you have them?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #124
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
How is someone supposed to help you if you do t post the codes? Do you have them?
That is what I am asking for. I have never used any of this software, and do not even know which program to use. Also, there were no lights, or indication that limp mode was activated, it just happened, and stopped. I am hoping there is some sort of log, and whatever it was would be there. Just have no idea how to find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #125
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Brake disc overheating. It's covered in here.
I had that turned off during coding. I think. I will try to double check though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #126
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had that turned off during coding. I think. I will try to double check though.
Check Post #26. That is what used to happen to me on track with my 128 too. No codes but the car was basically in limp mode.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1&postcount=26

If you want to learn to do it yourself... the concept of what to do would be:

#1) read your DSC module using NCSExpert "Coderiden_Lessen" or something like that... I don't speak German.
#2) load the trace file that NCSExpert outputs into NCSDummy
#3) Manipulate the variables for each parameter in NCSDummy
#4) Export the changes you just made to the .MAN file type
#5) Go back to NCSExpert and change the job to "codierden" for coding (Pro Tip: the "profile" you use in NCSExpert must have write privileges enabled or the changes won't take affect)
#6) 15 seconds later your DSC module should be operating based on the new variables!

Plenty of youtube videos out there. It really is simple. If oyu know what you're doing, you don't even need NCSDummy, but having the description is nice and really helps reinforce understanding of what you're doing. I hope the above helps!

Last edited by bbnks2; 03-29-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
ornicar133.00
      03-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #127
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Check Post #26. That is what used to happen to me on track with my 128 too. No codes but the car was basically in limp mode.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1&postcount=26

If you want to learn to do it yourself... the concept of what to do would be:

#1) read your DSC module using NCSExpert "Coderiden_Lessen" or something like that... I don't speak German.
#2) load the trace file that NCSExpert outputs into NCSDummy
#3) Manipulate the variables for each parameter in NCSDummy
#4) Export the changes you just made to the .MAN file type
#5) Go back to NCSExpert and change the job to "codierden" for coding (Pro Tip: the "profile" you use in NCSExpert must have write privileges enabled or the changes won't take affect)
#6) 15 seconds later your DSC module should be operating based on the new variables!

Plenty of youtube videos out there. It really is simple. If oyu know what you're doing, you don't even need NCSDummy, but having the description is nice and really helps reinforce understanding of what you're doing. I hope the above helps!
Awesome! I will check this out. Hopefully I can get it figured out, because it kinda ruined my session.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #128
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
That is what I am asking for. I have never used any of this software, and do not even know which program to use. Also, there were no lights, or indication that limp mode was activated, it just happened, and stopped. I am hoping there is some sort of log, and whatever it was would be there. Just have no idea how to find it.
These guys are savvy with this stuff so I am sure they can help you out.

Do you have an OBD scanner? If not, IMO it would be worth it to get one, or you could either see if any of the local auto parts stores have one you could borrow. Amazon has Bluetooth/wifi obd scanners for fairly cheap and you can use an app on ios or android to interface with the scanner. Maybe there is something stored in the DME.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #129
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post

See I feel the opposite way.
I'm on slotted Stop tech fronts, blanks in the rear, Stop tech pads, ECS lines, Bosch 5.1 fluid.
Did most of the code off options and I think my brakes are perfect. The peddle to me feels predictable and linear, as I want. I don't have to push harder to keep pressure, as you would if there where soft line or leak.

If you don't have that feeling I wonder if you do have an air bubble?
How did you bleed? Use the INPA procedure?
I used the pressure bleeder and have no issues, that I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #130
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

When I'm in NCS Expert, my only 2 options for profiles are 'Factory coding' and 'Manipulation'. Is there somewhere I can download revtor's profile, or somewhere that shows how to setup it up to mirror his?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #131
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarkoDrives View Post
A little more development today with the Can bus isolation and the ABS module.

Reviewing Diagrams the ABS is on both the PT-Can and the Chassis Can (F-Can IIRCC).

PT-Can = twisted pair Red & Red/Blue
F-Can =twisted pair Yellow & Yellow/Brown

Disconnecting the F-Can from the ABS resulted in the same 4800 RPM rev limit but kept the speedometer reading on the kombi. But otherwise all the desire effects retain inherit abs, without any traction or e diff electoronic programs.

what's interesting is that for the speedo, the wheel speed goes from the ABS wheel speed sensor to the DME over PT can and then the DME sends it over F-Can for the Kombi display. -I had assumed that the ABS would be sending the speed directly to to kombi over f- can.

FYI: the DME, KOMBI(Chassis) and DSC(ABS) are the three programmable
modules in the car.

My cohort believes that the kombi is a display-only unit and that it doesn't effect any traction or dme restrictions. having the abs send data to the dme and not directly to the kombi supports this design theory.

He suggest that the only programs active in the kombi-display-dash are purely informational such as the 'when to shift for efficient dynamics' or ' what gear the car is in' and that any restrictive 'management' programs must be operating in either the ABS module or the DME.

Can anyone confirm that the Chassis/Kombi does not perform any restrictions on the DME/ ABS?

Also Wondering if disconnecting the ABS from both the PT-can and the chassis Can will result in no rev limit. ie the rev limit is coming from the ABS module and not a program on the DME.

What was your experience when you simply disconnected the dsc module from the abs pump hydro unit? For me, i got the lights on, wipers running and still something slowing the car down in corners. Ediff appeared to be still functional on my car while the unit was disconnected which tells me the car is still using info from wheel speed, steering angle and possibly acceleration sensor. It seems like dme, other modules and programs may be working together to control the behavior of the car even with dsc module not being plugged in. Older bmw didn't rely on traction control modules alone but various parameters were integrated in other modules to control traction from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #132
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Follow up:

I had to do some coding today to turn off my e-diff. My n55 135i does not appear to have sst (soft stop):

The default value was wert_0 with a data value of 0. There was no other option available.

If you review the spreadsheet I linked earlier it appears the 128i and the n54 335i trace files both show that those cars do have soft stop assist. I remember turning it off on my n51. Set it to wert_0 if you want it off.
How does your car behave now without ediff enabled?
Do you have an LSD?
Manual or auto?
Can you spin around corners no problem?
WOT launches and get a good amount of wheel spin? Or do you have to brake torque if auto?
Or do you feel the car is still rather controlled to some degree even when getting aggressive?
Appreciate 0