BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Removing ingrained bugs

So I try and try my best to remove all the bugs I can every day I drive, but there are always stubborn ones that don't get off with detail spray, terminator, or even clay bars. I live in the woods and I get literally hundreds of small gnats, moths, and other bugs always ingraining themselves into my front bumper. What's the best way to remove them? Even clay bars don't do much, though I could probably bump up the grade or something. It's just driving me crazy. This is the first summer with this bumper on and it already looks older than the rest of the car! Also, if any detailers are reading this, what's a good price for paint correction just on the front bumper

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 08-05-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Groundzero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Have you considered a clear bra?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
So I try and try my best to remove all the bugs I can every day I drive, but there are always stubborn ones that don't get off with detail spray, terminator, or even clay bars. I live in the woods and I get literally hundreds of small gnats, moths, and other bugs always ingraining themselves into my front bumper. What's the best way to remove them? Even clay bars don't do much, though I could probably bump up the grade or something. It's just driving me crazy. This is the first summer with this bumper on and it already looks older than the rest of the car! Also, if any detailers are reading this, what's a good price for paint correction just on the front bumper
I drive through the middle of a huge farm country side on my way to and from work and get many "bug shadows" as they call them. They can become increasingly hard to get off of a clear coat the longer they stay and will cause etching. You will need some sort of bug remover and elbow grease to remove the bugs but if there is still etching from their corrosive guts i suggest you use this:

doesnt require very much effort if doing by hand.. just a few wipes and the evidence of any bug is gone. .

just be sure to reapply a sealant or carnuba wax after using this..
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundzero View Post
Have you considered a clear bra?
The problem is that it's my daily driver with no alternative car 99% of the time. I got it repainted twice since installing about 8 months ago, the most recently over the summer, and since it's not factory paint it needs to outgas. Since I need to drive it over the 2+ weeks it's outgassing, and since literally one drive from my house to the park and ride where I take the NYC bus is enough for dozens of bugs, I can never really keep it perfectly clean for very long, especially after a fresh paintjob. Even if I scrub my hardest with the quick detailer before boarding the bus, it doesn't get everything out, and I can't use something more abrasive because I have no hose to rinse with, and the bugs just stay and bake. Thank you though, any other ideas?

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks romak! I never really thought to use the compound to get rid of the etching. I guess I'll have to use some ridiculously strong cleaner (stronger than tarminator??) and use some compound.. But what's stronger than tarminator?? I thought that was pretty much as good as it gets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
I drive through the middle of a huge farm country side on my way to and from work and get many "bug shadows" as they call them. They can become increasingly hard to get off of a clear coat the longer they stay and will cause etching. You will need some sort of bug remover and elbow grease to remove the bugs but if there is still etching from their corrosive guts i suggest you use this:

doesnt require very much effort if doing by hand.. just a few wipes and the evidence of any bug is gone. .

just be sure to reapply a sealant or carnuba wax after using this..

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

First step:
http://www.eshine.ca/poorboys_bug_squash_16oz-1804.php

Second step:
http://www.eshine.ca/pinnacle_safe_s...r_pad-1923.php

DetailedImage should have them, I think I saw it before.

Poorboys Bug Squash claim to be LSP (Last Step Product) safe, you could do some research on you own. Dilute 3:1 for your first try, if doesn't work, try 2:1. But if you are using the bug scrub, 3:1 dilute should be enough. This combo doesn't hurt your paint or clear coat, if it works, than it save you some painting cost.

Kcc
      08-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

never used the bug squash remover stuff but poor boys is good product..

i personally use just regular sponge to remove bugs.. any left overs i use a seperate towel and post wash spray to remove them with elbow grease and finish with a polish in the area and a bit of carnuba and im done.. All i gotta do is the front bumper.. never takes me long at all.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Over here we have the same problem OP. But the bugs you hit at high speeds can really make quite a hard impact! I generally just use soapy water and one of these special bug sponges. Its made from hard plastic... but it doesn't scratch your paint. These sponges work great and only cost a euro or two. Send me a PM if you want me to send you one to "test".

Sometimes when I can't wash my car... but there are a lot of bugs on the front bumper... I just use a detail spray... and one of these sponges with a MF towel. Works wonders.

Dackel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Over here we have the same problem OP. But the bugs you hit at high speeds can really make quite a hard impact! I generally just use soapy water and one of these special bug sponges. Its made from hard plastic... but it doesn't scratch your paint. These sponges work great and only cost a euro or two. Send me a PM if you want me to send you one to "test".

Sometimes when I can't wash my car... but there are a lot of bugs on the front bumper... I just use a detail spray... and one of these sponges with a MF towel. Works wonders.

Dackel
doesn't that label say it's for windshields? my german's getting a little rusty...

i recently used a bug sponge that i got from autogeek, but it still left some light scratching, despite lots of soap & suds, frequent rinsing/flipping the sponge, and gentle-medium pressure

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by and 1 View Post
doesn't that label say it's for windshields? my german's getting a little rusty...

i recently used a bug sponge that i got from autogeek, but it still left some light scratching, despite lots of soap & suds, frequent rinsing/flipping the sponge, and gentle-medium pressure
Yes, it says it is for windshields.

I do not use that exact sponge though. I buy mine from my local German grocery store. They sell Sonax and Nigrin car care products.

I use a sponge made by Nigrin. It says it is safe for glass windsheilds and chrome parts. I also use it on my front bumper and mirrors - with no (scratches) issues. I think as long as you use this sponge when it is (soaking) wet (I use it wiith my car washing bucket) you will not have any scratches.

I have been using these sponges for about twelve years now... I could not live without one in the summer months. There are just tons of dead bugs after a short blast/drive on the autobahn.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Have you ever tried using ladies panty hose? It works! Just use it lightly when washing the car.
Also a very low to no PH shaving cream - just spray it on and let it soak into the bugs for a few minutes, then just wipe em off.
Also, if you leave your car outside overnight, very early in the morning while all the dew is still there and car looks rained on, that's the best time to wipe em off and clean your windshield.

Good luck.

Last edited by BBBluey; 08-11-2011 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Clay, clay , clay....there are the 3 best answers I have for you
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Have you tried spraying distilled water on the surface that was just treated with tarminator?

1. Spray area with tarminator and let sit for a minute.
2. Wipe down area with microfiber.
3. Spray area with distilled water to remove remaining tarminator left on the paint. Wipe down.

I've found that if you just use Tarminator and wipe off, it doesn't initially take everything off. But when you follow it up with distilled water, whatever treatment is left behind reacts well with the distilled water and softens up stubborn bugs.

Give it a shot. You can easily carry in your car a spray bottle with distilled water in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Be cognizant that there are no polymers, nanotechnology coatings or waxes that are acid-proof; they will only offer short-time resistance. The most pertinent factor is to have a layer of (sacrificial) protection between the acid and your paint surface. The second is to ensure that is removed and any residue is neutralized as soon as possible.

For added protection apply an organic wax over the polymer sealant, as this acts as a sacrificial barrier and by washing the vehicles paint surface plus the reapplication of the sacrificial barrier on a regular basis.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain either carnauba wax or polymer sealants, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated (heat and moisture). If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish (Zaino PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleanser) and then apply a paint protection.

To remove - pre-soak heavy bug contamination with 1z einszett Anti-Insekt + Pre-Cleaner, which easily removes bug carcasses but doesn't remove wax / sealant paint protection. Soak a micro fibre towel and let it sit for 4-5 minutes (it can be held in place with detailer’s clay) before removing.

Then use a (pre-soaked then wring damp) Professional Bug Sponge the open-cell construction 'grabs' foreign matter on your cars paint surface and safely removes it. Then use an Optimum No Rinse (ONR) solution, 2oz per gallon / distilled water. It’s completely harmless to the paint or glass surfaces, a very efficient and safe way of removing harmful baked on bug debris due to its non-abrasive nature.

Last edited by TOGWT; 08-13-2011 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you to everyone above. This has all been very helpful, and I will definitely try everything suggested here.

@Ridonculous. I didn't know you could just spray water and wipe tarminator off! I thought you really had to rinse it because I thought that it's a particularly nasty/strong solvent. But I will definitely try.

The panty hose solution sounds interesting. Maybe an alternative to Dackel's super sponge,since I doubt the US gets such awesome car care products :P

And TOGWT, thank you! Your posts are always extraordinarily informative, since I'm a science guy and love figuring out / learning the chemistry behind how everything works!

But overall, thanks to everyone! More suggestions are welcome too

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Clay that car!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated (heat and moisture).
can't say i ever would have thought of the baking soda idea....makes complete sense though

my in-car detail kit is getting full...

Appreciate 0