BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #177
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I didn't think we were fighting, lol, but your point is well taken.

Like I said, I don't think any of these intake mods are worth very much, and I already have the BMW Performance intake anyway.

I've just thought that, if I ever just get bored enough and can't think of anything else to do, that I might go for the Euro air box since it deletes the charcoal filter and I like the cone filter (and the much easier access for filter changes). Plus it kind of bothers me that the US version of the BMW Performance intake sort of mimics the look of the Euro air box, while still containing the same difficult-to-access panel filter.

Of course, if I swap to a Euro air box, I need to source the Euro version of the BMW Performance intake, which would be fairly expensive, and probably the main reason I haven't gone this route already.

But enough about intakes! I've got a big project in the works, plus some smaller goodies I picked up during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Stay tuned!
Just delete the charcoal filter yourself. Cut it out, then sand down the edges til it's uber smooth. It looks like it was never there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
On the topic of intakes- i caved and went for the rev motoring elbow.. I haven't noticed any difference in any regards really.
Yea I almost bought St|g's that he was selling. He said it droned too much . For $50 and all the mixed reviews I hear, I can't convince myself to spend even that much on it. I'd have to be really bored.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #178
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Just delete the charcoal filter yourself. Cut it out, then sand down the edges til it's uber smooth. It looks like it was never there.

Yea I almost bought St|g's that he was selling. He said it droned too much . For $50 and all the mixed reviews I hear, I can't convince myself to spend even that much on it. I'd have to be really bored.
I can't say it drone's at all or even sounds any different at low RPM's. Mid range i get more of a whoosh but that's about it. I think it's worth it since it's much easier to work with than the stock tube.

I'll get on a dyno again eventually but i haven't noticed anything groundbreaking about it.
      12-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #179
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger View Post
Want to let you know that you are fighting about 2whp.

Get whatever intake you want.
Or 18...who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #180
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Or 18...who knows.
The intake side of N/A 6 cyl BMW motors have been fairly well designed from a power standpoint going back a couple generations. Gains are minimal outside of swapping the manifold itself. This was very true on e36s as people spent and still spend money increasing the entire intake tract (airbox/hfm/throttlebody/piping) from 3 inches to 3.5 to gain 5-10hp. Adding an intake has and still is simply a visual and auditory 'upgrade' on BMW 6 cyl N/A cars. Like with the e36 generation, all the power is locked up in restrictive manifolds. I find it hard to believe that there is a 10% power restriction that can be unharnessed by adding a different airbox/intake.

Exhaust side is where the power bottleneck is on BMW engines. The headers, cats, and exhaust are all designed with emissions and sound reduction in mind. As we've seen on the n5x generation of motors, freeing up the exhaust side provides relatively substantial gains just as it did on the e36.

That said, I'm with Bimmer-Bob and I will pick up a Euro spec airbox eventually for the convenience of filter changing when I have a few hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket and nothing left to mod.

Last edited by E91WAG3N; 12-03-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #181
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
The intake side of N/A 6 cyl BMW motors have been fairly well designed from a power standpoint going back a couple generations. Gains are minimal outside of swapping the manifold itself. This was very true on e36s as people spent and still spend money increasing the entire intake tract (airbox/hfm/throttlebody/piping) from 3 inches to 3.5 to gain 5-10hp. Adding an intake has and still is simply a visual and auditory 'upgrade' on BMW 6 cyl N/A cars. Like with the e36 generation, all the power is locked up in restrictive manifolds. I find it hard to believe that there is a 10% power restriction that can be unharnessed by adding a different airbox/intake.

Exhaust side is where the power bottleneck is on BMW engines. The headers, cats, and exhaust are all designed with emissions and sound reduction in mind. As we've seen on the n5x generation of motors, freeing up the exhaust side provides relatively substantial gains just as it did on the e36.

That said, I'm with Bimmer-Bob and I will pick up a Euro spec airbox eventually for the convenience of filter changing when I have a few hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket and nothing left to mod.
Pay the extra 100 for something that sounds better and makes power.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #182
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Pay the extra 100 for something that sounds better and makes power.
which airbox are you speaking of?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #183
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
which airbox are you speaking of?
AFE and Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #184
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
ENOUGH ABOUT INTAKES ALREADY!

Here's a teaser of what's next; the first of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday merch to arrive:

Name:  Adipowers.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  552.8 KB
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #185
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #186
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

I'm guessing those are M3 rear diff bushings? If so, let me know the if you notice any change after installing them.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #187
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill
I'm guessing those are M3 rear diff bushings? If so, let me know the if you notice any change after installing them.
Yes, M3 rear diff bushings. I'll certainly give my impressions, but I'm not sure I'll be able to discern exactly how much feel is being contributed by the bushings versus the other parts that will be going on at the same time.
      12-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #188
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The Black Friday/Cyber Monday pile is getting bigger!

Name:  car parts.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  497.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #189
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Strictly changing diff bushings is a giant upgrade. While I changed to the AKG bushings in my STX car, the OEM bushings allow you to pry the rear subframe around almost an inch of total movement. It's just as weak on the vertical axis as well. This comes out in practice by making it a second mass-damping motion, which means that the rear will easily get out of phase with the front of the car over bumps. The M3 bushings are a drastic improvement, but more challenging to install than the AKGs. The AKGs make zero noise at all, and the ride quality is drastically improved over the stock bushings. This is an upgrade I would absolutely do to an even street-purpose only car, but absolutely to anyone who cares about performance as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #190
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
Strictly changing diff bushings is a giant upgrade. While I changed to the AKG bushings in my STX car, the OEM bushings allow you to pry the rear subframe around almost an inch of total movement. It's just as weak on the vertical axis as well. This comes out in practice by making it a second mass-damping motion, which means that the rear will easily get out of phase with the front of the car over bumps. The M3 bushings are a drastic improvement, but more challenging to install than the AKGs. The AKGs make zero noise at all, and the ride quality is drastically improved over the stock bushings. This is an upgrade I would absolutely do to an even street-purpose only car, but absolutely to anyone who cares about performance as well.
Thanks for your input.

Differential bushings make that big of a difference? I know the subframe bushings do (I currently have poly inserts) but was mostly doing the diff bushings since I'm changing the diff and will be in there anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #191
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

I meant subframe. Sorry. Misread original post then responded in a silly way.

Oof.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #192
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies
I meant subframe. Sorry. Misread original post then responded in a silly way.

Oof.
Haha, no worries. I suspected you might have meant subframe. Anyway, I'll be going from inserts to full poly bushings so I still expect some improvement in that regard.
      12-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #193
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Name:  car parts.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  452.4 KB

Finally got some tires mounted on my new "street" wheels, the Triple Bronze powdercoated APEX AERO-7's. I decided to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. My reasoning for going with an all-season tire is that I don't want to run a summer tire once average daily temperatures drop below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, but I also don't need dedicated winter tires. I figure it makes sense to have a tire for year-round street use, and then save my RE-71R's for competition.

I narrowed my choices down to these versus the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, which is said to have a slight performance advantage. The older Contis (DWS) ranked 2nd to the Michelins in terms of performance, but these newer generation tires should be even better. They have sidewall inserts to stiffen them up and improve feel, which was the main complaint about the previous generation (squishy sidewalls). Additionally, the Contis are supposed to excel at light snow and ice traction, so on the occasional days when I have to drive after a freeze or whatever, I'll feel a little better with these versus the Michelins, which give up some snow/ice traction for overall performance. Plus, the Contis are cheaper than the Michelins and I got some good pricing, free shipping, and rebates for Black Friday through Discount Tire Direct. Highly recommended.

More pics when I get 'em mounted sometime after Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #194
JDamian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Have you made the move to Whidbey Island? I'm from Mukilteo/Everett so I'm not too far away (a ferry ride or 1.5 hour drive depending on what part of Whidbey). I bought a 2009 128i which came with Extreme Contact DW's and have had no problems in the rain. It's been a mild and warm winter so on the two occasions the temperature dropped below freezing they've done well. I don't know how many miles are on my tires but it looks like I'll be picking up new tires in the spring. I'm looking forward to your opinions on your DWS06's because they're at the top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #195
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

Finally got some tires mounted on my new "street" wheels, the Triple Bronze powdercoated APEX AERO-7's. I decided to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. My reasoning for going with an all-season tire is that I don't want to run a summer tire once average daily temperatures drop below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, but I also don't need dedicated winter tires. I figure it makes sense to have a tire for year-round street use, and then save my RE-71R's for competition.

I narrowed my choices down to these versus the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, which is said to have a slight performance advantage. The older Contis (DWS) ranked 2nd to the Michelins in terms of performance, but these newer generation tires should be even better. They have sidewall inserts to stiffen them up and improve feel, which was the main complaint about the previous generation (squishy sidewalls). Additionally, the Contis are supposed to excel at light snow and ice traction, so on the occasional days when I have to drive after a freeze or whatever, I'll feel a little better with these versus the Michelins, which give up some snow/ice traction for overall performance. Plus, the Contis are cheaper than the Michelins and I got some good pricing, free shipping, and rebates for Black Friday through Discount Tire Direct. Highly recommended.

More pics when I get 'em mounted sometime after Christmas.
Nice! I have my Hyper Silver Aero 7 wheels coming in Tomorrow, cannot wait to see them! I am debating switching my tires over to them because who knows how long this warm weather will stick around.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #196
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDamian View Post
Have you made the move to Whidbey Island? I'm from Mukilteo/Everett so I'm not too far away (a ferry ride or 1.5 hour drive depending on what part of Whidbey). I bought a 2009 128i which came with Extreme Contact DW's and have had no problems in the rain. It's been a mild and warm winter so on the two occasions the temperature dropped below freezing they've done well. I don't know how many miles are on my tires but it looks like I'll be picking up new tires in the spring. I'm looking forward to your opinions on your DWS06's because they're at the top of my list.
Nope, still in North Carolina. I won't be relocating to Whidbey Island until this summer but it sometimes freezes and even snows a little bit here as well (or so I'm told - I was away last winter and my car was stored). Anyway, I was going to wait until I got to Washington before I bought a second set of wheels, but I saw these on clearance from APEX and wanted to pick up a set before it was too late.

Quote:
Nice! I have my Hyper Silver Aero 7 wheels coming in Tomorrow, cannot wait to see them! I am debating switching my tires over to them because who knows how long this warm weather will stick around.
Totally underrated wheels, in my opinion. They never really took off for whatever reason. I love that they were designed from the ground up as a 1er wheel, and don't come in any other fitments. Makes them kind of unique. And APEX wheels are great; they offer a really good mix of style, weight, durability, and affordability.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #197
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Nope, still in North Carolina. I won't be relocating to Whidbey Island until this summer but it sometimes freezes and even snows a little bit here as well (or so I'm told - I was away last winter and my car was stored). Anyway, I was going to wait until I got to Washington before I bought a second set of wheels, but I saw these on clearance from APEX and wanted to pick up a set before it was too late.

Totally underrated wheels, in my opinion. They never really took off for whatever reason. I love that they were designed from the ground up as a 1er wheel, and don't come in any other fitments. Makes them kind of unique. And APEX wheels are great; they offer a really good mix of style, weight, durability, and affordability.
Now that they're discontinued, I fully expect them to go up in price, it's an investment! JK lol. Check out the stock on their website though

BTW, which sway bars did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #198
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now that they're discontinued, I fully expect them to go up in price, it's an investment! JK lol. Check out the stock on their website though

BTW, which sway bars did you go with?
Wow, super cheap!

When I bought mine, I had to buy mismatched colors to make a complete set, which is one reason I had them powdercoated (I also wanted a custom color this time around). I got a good deal, but nothing like what they're selling them for now. Although, they look to be completely sold out of the 9" wheels, and I wouldn't have wanted to run 8" wheels square.
Appreciate 0