BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #1
james1986_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Recent Performance Part Purchase

Hello All,

Happy owner of 135i N54 Steptronic

I have recently gone on a modding bender and gone crazy with purchases...

Looking for input from the community to anything I should possible consider with the install. the car is going to shop in the next 3 weeks and all will be installed at the same time.

I should say thanks to Justin JD75 for his time and assistance getting some parts sorted out as well. I would encourage people to hit him up if they need parts for the format.

Current Installed mods include:
AFR Stage 2 Intake
Cat Back PE
BBS 18" CH-R Wheels
Non-Run Flat sticky tyres
ECU Flash (will be removed)

The list of parts for install as below:
ER Charpipe
Forged DV
JB4
5" ER FMIC
Downpipes VRSF
OCC BMS
New Ignition Coil Pack
New OEM Spark Plugs
Silicone inlets RB
Silicone outlets RB
CSF Performance Radiator
Replaced oil vacuum hoses with 3.5mm silicone
Upgraded PCV Plug
Fuel It upgraded fuel line and ethanol sensor
KW V3 Coils
Powerflex RSFB
Powerflex Rear Upper suspension arm bushings
Whiteline front control arm bushings

I will also do carbon clean of intakes and service the transmission while at the shop.

Considering going the e-tune route with MHD BEF but have not committed as yet - I have standard turbos and do not want to change the T-map sensor.

Would be happy with 380-400WHP. but would accept less for reliability, its only a weekend car but still needs to be able to do a 500Km round trip.

Only looking at running E20 as octane booster. I have heard Marty express concern about Ethanol but would have considered a small mixture to be safe

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers

Last edited by james1986_135i; 08-17-2017 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #2
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Good list there.

Only things I would question the need for an upgraded radiator.
There's better and cheaper intercoolers then ER but it is still pretty good.

I've got every part to stiffen the rear and it still squirms with a 335i subframe. If you want it stiff you should get a 1m subframe. Don't expect it to stiff with a few bushings and arms.

Screw Marty, get a stage 2 style fuel pump and run as much E as you can.

You don't need a 3.5bar sensor to get a custom tune. There's more than boost in a tune. Not sure why you wouldn't want to change the sensor. If your riding around 20 psi on the oem sensor can cause tuning issues. It's not needed anyway.

Good start I'm very impressed.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #3
rac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1986_135i View Post

Would be happy with 380-400WHP. but would accept less for reliability, its only a weekend car but still needs to be able to do a 500Km round trip.

Only looking at running E20 as octane booster. I have heard Marty express concern about Ethanol but would have considered a small mixture to be safe

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers
that peak whp is should not necessarily cause you any reliability issue, depending on how aggressively the torque comes on and how much torque you make down low. not sure about the latest revision MHD OTS flashes, but some of the past ones were very aggressive imo.

practically speaking running E20 on a 500km round trip might be more of the issue depending on E85 station locations. the safety concern on ethanol is mostly to do with some of the auxiliary fueling options which are not controlled by the dme. you wont be in that situation at E20 so dont stress using it if you need / want to. if you go down the path of a custom tune and your not happy with the end result your tuner might tell you that you need more octane, in which case a small amount of Ethanol is the most practical way to up the octane, especially in a DI engine. its also better for your lungs and brain then its alternatives.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
TyreSlayer
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 135i N55

Hey man, nice list. You must be pretty excited!

I recently did the tune + catless DP's (VSRF also). I used MHD to do the tune, as I was told by multiple sources that the JB4 can be unreliable or problematic down the line. MHD is a flash on your ECU directly, and changes tables that the car uses to 'tune' it for better performance, rather than piggy back the ECU. Might be worth a look in if you didn't have a specific reason for the JB4?

You need to bench your ECU if you have a late model N55 (after March 2012 build I think). Otherwise, it's all plug and play baby
Appreciate 1