BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

1M as a DD

A question for all those who have gotten there cars. Anyone using it as a DD? If so how's it going? I would like to use mine as a DD .Just looking for some feed back, like comfort,mpg,etc
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
woojae2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 1M, E93 M3, E46 323i

Garage List
I'm going to be using mine as a daily driver as it is my only car - got rid of my E93 M3 - picking it up tomorrow! It will be perfect unless you have back problems and need a particularly soft ride. If you track or are into any sort of performance driving there will be no issue in terms of daily driver comfort and amenities. In fact I would think it's a better daily driver than the M3 (minus the lack of EDC but I already mentioned that with the ride comment)

people see close to 26mpg's on highway. obviously depends on your foot.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Mine is a DD. Just turned over 900 miles, so just breaking it in. Quite a difference from the SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: S2000, 718 Spyder, E92 M3

drove a friends extensively... For me it's a very comfortable DD. But I also DD'ed a supercharged S2000 with a full track suspension... So my point of view might be a little skewed.

But my dad thought it was an ok DD, though he hates small cars and didn't like the smaller cabin space.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

mine is a dd and i have over 4500miles on the clock. very easy to drive on a daily basis
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

DD for me. I did an experiment the other day to see how good I could get the economy. Managed 29.4mpg driving relatively carefully for 165 miles, cruising at 80 on the cruise control. Guess could dip over 30 if I'd cruised a little slower. Incuded about 10 miles total off the motorway, and having to slow down a couple of time for roadworks.
      09-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
sean67
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I am at 2,200 miles as my DD and the car is great. I love the ride, look, performance, handling, and getting 23-24 MPG in combined driving with a daily redline romp on nice curvey stretch of road.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

Great feed back. Thanks for the info, it's much appreaciated. Just a few more weeks . I can' wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I had mine for about 3300km (2000miles), and I get better fuel economy in the long runs than the 135i. As I see you currently have a 330ci, it should be on par with that in terms of milage.

Ride is on par than the RFT equipped 125i my wife still has, but a little bit more road noise, but not unbearable. If you do long runs on the freeway at around 110km, the drone can get annoying, but my DD routine includes only a 5-10 minute run and it is fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

I picked up my car at the end of August and have been using it as a daily driver. I have a little over 1400 miles on it (most of it was the commute back from Nashville to Central Texas). It's the most comfortable car I've owned. I drive into Austin about 3 or 4 days a week and my 60 mile round trip commute is much quicker than it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I've been using mine for a DD for three weeks. My previous DD was an '07 335i coupe sport pkg.

The 1M has a much firmer ride, and with the short wheelbase it's right on the border of what I can deal with as a DD. I live in the center of Houston, and our streets are a disaster, made even worse by this summer's heat and drought, which is literally changing them by the day. We have a lot of heavily crowned roads, which means steep entries into parking lots and driveways, and I was really worried that I'd be constantly scaping the nose of the car and bottoming it, but I've been pretty careful and it hasn't been a problem. It was a constant issue with the 335i, but I think the shorter wheelbase and front overhang are an advantage for the 1M. The nose is very aggressive looking, but it's not particularly low compared to a regular 335i coupe or a Cayman.

The 1M is a little more upright and easier to get in and out of, and the doors are shorter, which is good for me since my garage space is at a premium with two cars and five motorcycles. I think the lack of a sunroof helps with interior heat as compared to the 335i.

My 335i was dead stock, but the motor was very strong. In terms of outright power I think there's very little difference between them. I've driven a recent 335i, and it didn't have nearly the snap that my '07 has.

About the only thing that I've found consistently annoying about the 1M is the air-conditioning. The system is extremely loud with the fan on max, which is most of the time down here. It's virtually impossible to talk on the phone with Bluetooth without turning the fan to the lowest setting. The dash vents project straight up, and I can't get them set to blow air directly at me. It would also be nice if there was a cover for the storage bin in front of the shifter, someplace to throw change into.

I don't miss the seatbelt-assist arms from the 335i; they were very annoying and have broken twice.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

mine will be a mildly used DD. i live downtown and work from home 90% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
It would also be nice if there was a cover for the storage bin in front of the shifter, someplace to throw change into.
There is a small bin to the right next to the steering column on the lower facia on my RHD car. Has a rubber lining. Only discovered it after a good look.

Is this not on LHD?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
There is a small bin to the right next to the steering column on the lower facia on my RHD car. Has a rubber lining. Only discovered it after a good look.

Is this not on LHD?

Not here in the good ol' US of A. We dont get the extra storage bin. However, left-hand drive 1er's in other countries get the bin.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Verry nice and easy DD, like all other ///M`s ( I have driven a E46 M3, E92 M3 and now for 1 month the 1M) The E92 M3, due to long wheelbase, a little more comfortable I would say, E46 M3 and 1M are on par.

I commute about 20km, about a 20 minute drive. What is most eye catching; The 1M realy needs more time to heat up, the E92 M3 was far more quicker at race temperature.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

Even with the speed bumps and potholes all around town in Lima, I find the 1M perfectly adequate for DD. I've had it for 5 days now, and have driven it for about 450kms so far and I was actually surprised by the smooth ride, I was expecting a much harsher ride but it's amazing!
I'm sure you'll like it for DD!
Cheers
      09-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I've been using mine for a DD for three weeks. My previous DD was an '07 335i coupe sport pkg.

The 1M has a much firmer ride, and with the short wheelbase it's right on the border of what I can deal with as a DD. I live in the center of Houston, and our streets are a disaster, made even worse by this summer's heat and drought, which is literally changing them by the day. We have a lot of heavily crowned roads, which means steep entries into parking lots and driveways, and I was really worried that I'd be constantly scaping the nose of the car and bottoming it, but I've been pretty careful and it hasn't been a problem. It was a constant issue with the 335i, but I think the shorter wheelbase and front overhang are an advantage for the 1M. The nose is very aggressive looking, but it's not particularly low compared to a regular 335i coupe or a Cayman.

The 1M is a little more upright and easier to get in and out of, and the doors are shorter, which is good for me since my garage space is at a premium with two cars and five motorcycles. I think the lack of a sunroof helps with interior heat as compared to the 335i.

My 335i was dead stock, but the motor was very strong. In terms of outright power I think there's very little difference between them. I've driven a recent 335i, and it didn't have nearly the snap that my '07 has.

About the only thing that I've found consistently annoying about the 1M is the air-conditioning. The system is extremely loud with the fan on max, which is most of the time down here. It's virtually impossible to talk on the phone with Bluetooth without turning the fan to the lowest setting. The dash vents project straight up, and I can't get them set to blow air directly at me. It would also be nice if there was a cover for the storage bin in front of the shifter, someplace to throw change into.

I don't miss the seatbelt-assist arms from the 335i; they were very annoying and have broken twice.
See different strokes for different folks! I also live in Houston and the ride doesn't bother me the slightest, even thought of suspension upgrade even if it meant a firmer ride. Nobody can tell you if you will like as a DD but yourself
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I too am a Houstonian, and i have suspension and driving in the city doesnt bother me. Its a very subjective subject on how rough the car is.

I do not daily drive the car, and the main reason i dont is i hate driving a manual in Houston traffic (plus i keep miles off the car).

The car is very easy to drive, and surprisingly spacious. My friend drove my car and i sat in the back seat and there's quite a bit of leg room (both of us are 5'11)

I'm averaging 18mpg (driving once a week to the city - traffic, and to grocery store etc)
Appreciate 0