04-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #420
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
great job on the writeup and constant bits of info

glad you had fun.....now you can see why some of us North Americaners never want to leave Europe....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #421
PSYMON81
BMW FANATIC
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Black - 320d x touring

tomorrow i sell my bmw...I'm so sorry.....and then 2 months without car till I get my 1 M....but now I can be only sorry for my baby......hope 1 M come soon....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #422
Steve Brown
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: June 2011, AW 1M coupe

Hi from Australia where we are due to pay A$108,000 (US$120,000) for the 1M. I have mine ordered and it has been manufactured but not on the ship yet. I thank you very much for your enthusiastic reporting of the customer viewpoint. I found it all very interesting and enlightening. You certainly went to a lot of trouble and I know it has been well viewed here in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #423
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

^^^Curious, whats the average salary in your neck of the woods? Are other goods and services expensive as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #424
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

Thanks for the excellent account of your time with the 1M.

I have not been able to verify elsewhere so can you tell me if your car has split folding rear seats and does it have the universal remote switches for garage doors on the bottom of the mirror. Thank you and enjoy the car when she gets home. Cheers, GJ
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #425
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Is anyone else in the US picking up their 1M at the Spartanburg, SC Performance Center??
I will be driving up to SC from Florida in my Dads Porsche 911 Carrera S to pick up my Black Sapphire BMW 1M. It should be fun, he has challenged me to a race

It will be interesting to compare the ED process shown here with the delivery and pick-up process at the Spartanburg Plant. I am a new user on this forum so I'll try my best to post pictures and updates when I go in mid May
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #426
Steve Brown
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: June 2011, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
^^^Curious, whats the average salary in your neck of the woods? Are other goods and services expensive as well?
Average is about A$70K and MacDonalds big Mac is A$6.50. An average main course is about A$28 so I guess things are a bit pricey here but why an M1 is twice what it costs in the US is weird. I'm a mature mechanical engineer and my salary is A$250K. Here in Perth in the mining construction industry we are currently employing folks from the US as they are relatively cheap labour!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #427
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brown View Post
Average is about A$70K and MacDonalds big Mac is A$6.50. An average main course is about A$28 so I guess things are a bit pricey here but why an M1 is twice what it costs in the US is weird. I'm a mature mechanical engineer and my salary is A$250K. Here in Perth in the mining construction industry we are currently employing folks from the US as they are relatively cheap labour!
I believe the average salary in Canada is somewhere in the 40k range which is on par with Australia from what I have read. $C-$A are about the same these days. Saying that the 1M is close to double what we pay here in Canada. Compensation tops out @ ~110k for Level 3 Mechanical Engineers in Canada based on Govt census info. I can understand why the mining industry employs foreign workers given a 250k salary for residents.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #428
WLKSFTLY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Noir 1M ED April 5th 2011

Hi everyone, sorry for the "holiday", I needed to spend some time with family, which I haven't done for several weeks.

fastauto - When I met with the M-Engineering group, they told us alot about how they tested different assemplies and parts to come up with the final parts and specifications, and to be honest they did some pretty in depth investigation. I chose to approach this as a guy who's nuts about his new car, (becuase that's who I am!) and listen to what they had to say before immediately discussing what I should change. And keep in mind, I had about 20 kms under my belt in the 1M at this point, so I was really inexperienced with the car (and I've nver owned a BMW).

In the posts over the next couple days, I'll go through more of the discussions I had and even see if I can get some questions answered from the poeple I met at M-Studio.

T1T2GRE - I wasn't even thinking about the CDV until you made your post. The clutch was surprisingly heavy to me. After a couple days of driving it, I returned home to my "other" cars and found myself pounding the clutch pedals into the floor! The clutch is very postive, and very communicative. If I didn't know I'd say there was not a CDV in the car. However, if you listen to the the way the car grabs rubber in my acceleration test (Post #4) you can tell there is a bit of hesitation between when the wheels chirp and the clutch is disengaged. Part of this could be due to the Dual Mass Flywheel assembly, but it did seem like there was a small delay.

theshiningnova - Here is the link to the SONAX Nano protect product:

Wheels -http://www.sonax.com/Product-Search/...oating-NanoPro

Paint - http://www.sonax.com/Product-Search/...-paint-protect

There isn't much info on the second link becuase it's a product sold by Car Dealers and Detail Shops, as opposed to a Retail product. There is a Do-it-yourslf package as well, I'll see if I can dig it up, too. Let me know where you are and I can give you the appropiate link to find the nearest dealer.

Steve Brown - G'day, Mate! I was stunned at the enthusiam I saw from potential buyers in your neck of the woods...and in all honesty it was a factor in my decision to buy this thing. I thought that if people down under were still considering this thing at a buck twenty...for $53,000 plus taxes, I shouldn't even flinch! I hope you get one...I still can't believe I did, and how good it is...

GeorgeJ - The 1M does have the split folding rear seats...we used them! We had luggage and memorabilia for three stuffed in the little car, along with three of us over 200# each. We used every nook and folded down the "large half" to get everything in on the way to the airport.

As for the mirror buttons, I never noticed. I wasn't even aware I should have looked. Makes sense now that you mention it. I did notice some other really cool features (not sure if they're unique to the 1M or just my ignorance):

- There is a cool pouch under the armrest that will hold an I-device, or in my case, a blackberry and right below it is the hook ups for integration and a USB port. How useful! To make me smile even more - The USB stays live when the car's off, so you can complete a charge of your phone/camera/i-device/go-pro or whatever with out having to keep the key on! (are you listening VW?) One of us was using this all the time!

- The phone integration was stunning. Sven at BMW Welt had me synced and calling with my blackberry in about 30-40 seconds, using my own phone book which I was scrolling through from the buttons on the car, and activating from the steering wheel in those same 30-40 seconds. I made several calls from the car that week and the sound was wonderful, muting the stereo and bringing in the phone gradually. The person on the other end could hear perfectly, even with the windows down (only have expereince at slow speeds).

- The M Button in easily activated and well positioned on Steering Wheel, but I kept forgetting to use it. The car is so nice to drive without it. When engaged, it really makes a difference in the crispness of the response. I didn't notice any difference to steering or other functions.

- Hill hold - I used this several times when navigating around Nurburg near the track, especially parking and leaving the PistenKlause where we had dinner (http://www.am-tiergarten.de/) This is the establishment owned by Sabine's family, the BMW taxi driver.

Name:  IMG_0337.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0338.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  105.6 KB

I grew up on std tranny cars, so I don't NEED this function, but gosh it was nice to use. Not intrusive at all. Well done BWM.

- One criticism - I would love to have far more information provided via the on board computer. My 2007 Passat gives much more within the instrument cluster screen. Intantaneous fuel consumption was one I would really like, and some others as well.

- Door locking feature. With the Premium package the car comes the ability to start/stop the engine without the use of the key. Well, the locking system also funtions without the key, and I love the way it operates. By touching the top of the door handle as you walk away from the car, it locks. Very Cool. Maybe this is another of those BMW things you all know about already...if it is sorry for adding it here. I love it. One more gripe, the unlock button for the door locks to unlock the other side of the car is in the center of the dash, requiring you to get into the car to activate it. I think there might be some programming that can be done to work on the need to use it...I'll see when the car gets here.

That's the ones that come to mind as I sit here tonight. I'm going to post more images and an in-car video of the Nurburgring tomorrow. I haven't posted the in car video earlier becuase it's pretty bad, and it's clear I have no clue where the track goes! Not sure what it will add for you, as it took a few laps to get me up to speed, and this lap was about 15 minutes long.

You won't see to many on track video's from the days we were there as the track personel was removing all cameras from the cars running. They did not want any on-track video taken.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #429
WLKSFTLY
Enlisted Member
Rep

It appears there is quite a bit of interest in the Mosport track day I booked for July 8th. I've had several PM's from people hoping to have their 1Ms before the July 8th day, and a couple are already planning to attend that day.

If any of you would like to attend, or even come to hang out, please don't hesitate to contact me. It's a non-profit day for myself and friends, we have the entire facility, so its free if you wish to come and say hi, or if you would like to run, its inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #430
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I believe the average salary in Canada is somewhere in the 40k range which is on par with Australia from what I have read. $C-$A are about the same these days. Saying that the 1M is close to double what we pay here in Canada. Compensation tops out @ ~110k for Level 3 Mechanical Engineers in Canada based on Govt census info. I can understand why the mining industry employs foreign workers given a 250k salary for residents.

We also get slugged this lovely thing called Luxury Car Tax on anything about AU$57K to 'protect' the local industries and just for the fun of another tax. In addition the manufacturers realize we'll pay the premium and overtly jack the prices up! Hence why 1M will set me back about AU$120K by the time it lands in the northern corner I reside.

WA where Steve lives has the mining boom, I think the rest of Aus the avg income is ~AU$55K.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #431
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

Thanks for the update and addressing my questions about folding seats and remote. The seat matter is more important for me so good to hear.

The door lock control should be changeable as a programming thing, simply done with settings using the left control stalk. Also instant mpg should be accessible using the same control stalk.

Have fun, I can't wait for mine. Cheers, GJ
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #432
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

WLKSFTLY, thank so much for taking the time to do this amazing write up. It really highlights everything about the car and I love the detail and depth you went into. For those of us 'patiently' waiting for our cars to get built and delivered, it's been truly amazing.

You have answered almost every question that was niggling in my mind, although all I really want is to get in and drive!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #433
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

WLKSFTLY, how bout them RB turbos? haha please?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #434
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLKSFTLY View Post
theshiningnova - Here is the link to the SONAX Nano protect product:

Wheels -http://www.sonax.com/Product-Search/...oating-NanoPro

Paint - http://www.sonax.com/Product-Search/...-paint-protect

There isn't much info on the second link becuase it's a product sold by Car Dealers and Detail Shops, as opposed to a Retail product. There is a Do-it-yourslf package as well, I'll see if I can dig it up, too. Let me know where you are and I can give you the appropiate link to find the nearest dealer.
Good stuff! Thanks for all the info!!!!!! I'm staying near Boston in MA now and should be doing ED around July or August the latest(hopefully my dealer is right). Wonder if I can get it done at the start of the ED as well to better protect the paint. Haven't been in the US for very long so it would be great to find out what the likely costs are for getting these paint/wheel sealant stuff done. They cost heaps back in Australia where I came from heh.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #435
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

thanks for the update. your posts have been great!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #436
WLKSFTLY
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the PMs to help me figure out more on the car everybody!

Looks like I'll be able to get more of what I want on the Instrument cluster after all, and to get the locks to work the way I want too. Very Cool!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #437
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

glad to hear the seats fold thanks wlksftly, I was worried my hockey stick wouldn't fit otherwise
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #438
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
WLKSFTLY thank you so much for these posts. You've certainly set the standard for all others attempting to do the same. Your responses are invaluable.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #439
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

Hi Derek,

i got two questions.

1. Which petrol needs the 1M? Super 95 octane or Super Plus 98 octane?
2. Which kind of oil needs the 1M?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #440
WLKSFTLY
Enlisted Member
Rep

bvez3ro, your going to laugh....I don't know either. I did run 98 in it when I was in Germany, I filled it twice on the trip and delivered it dry to the logistics office.

As for the oil, BMW Canada provides all service free of charge for the first four years of ownership......I didn't even think to look as I wasn't planning on buying any oil for a while!

I will find out, however! I have made contact with some of the BMW people I met in Germany, is there any other questions anyone might like answered?
Appreciate 0