BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #89
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Downforce!!!

Sorry to tease but this showed up to replace the wing on my race car. I had to unpack it next to the 1M so it seemed like a good place to put it for a few minutes.
Attached Images

05-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #90
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

perhaps we'll see Ralph Warren racing a 1M soon...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #91
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Joseph,
I'm really surprised you see a problem with this. The only time I aggressively crossed was at the gravity cavity where I could see about 1/4 mile ahead. I wanted to really put pressure on the front end to see if it would bottom out. (It didn't) All the other times I would track out and touch the lines with plenty of grip to change my line if need be. If you watch again you will see I never crossed a line in a blind corner where there could be a problem. I don't want this to turn into a debate but I politely disagree with you. 2 local sport bikes followed me south and stopped at the cross roads gas station to check out the car and chat it up a bit. They both told me I was driving good and safe, unlike a certain WRX that was there. The last time I went to deals gap I had a slow Harley coming the other way cross over by 3 feet for no apparent reason and I had to put 2 tires off to avoid him so I know the dangers with the variety of skill coming and going. I always leave room for error on the street so although I may have touched the yellow lines I had the grip to change my line if need be.
Cheers,
Dan
Nice back at you! Thanks for the video it's all I get for now, #1 on list no allocation til Oct!! Really
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #92
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
perhaps we'll see Ralph Warren racing a 1M soon...
How do you know Ralph? He is cool guy!

Last edited by igom3; 05-12-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #93
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3 View Post
How do you know Ralph? He is th cool guy!
I've been a BMW CCA member for about 15+ years, and have travelled to many tracks in the midwest and Southwest. I have been to BMW CCA Ofest the last 5 years. Ralph and I met in person for the first time at Ofest 2007 here in Texas, after knowing each other " virtually" for many years since we are both on the E30 M3 SIG and we tend to be up late...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #94
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

The film for the 3rd brake light is proving to be difficult so although they made a template we didn't have time to install it. I was in a hurry to get to Road Atl in time. It has to be absolutely exact or it looks bad so we would rather not rush it. I'll go back in a few days and post a couple pics.

They also made a template for the front amber turn signals so that should be up on the site soon as well.
      05-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #95
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I've been a BMW CCA member for about 15+ years, and have travelled to many tracks in the midwest and Southwest. I have been to BMW CCA Ofest the last 5 years. Ralph and I met in person for the first time at Ofest 2007 here in Texas, after knowing each other " virtually" for many years since we are both on the E30 M3 SIG and we tend to be up late...
Ralph was one of mine first instructors few years back. Nice guy and great driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #96
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

awesome! thanks so much, Dan!

Quote:
The film for the 3rd brake light is proving to be difficult so although they made a template we didn't have time to install it. I was in a hurry to get to Road Atl in time. It has to be absolutely exact or it looks bad so we would rather not rush it. I'll go back in a few days and post a couple pics.

They also made a template for the front amber turn signals so that should be up on the site soon as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #97
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
The front has more gap then the rear. After driving it at the dragon's tail and then yesterday on some more bumpy roads and feeling the suspension travel I see why it sits a little high in the front. BimmerWorld is going to be looking at the car soon to come up with a few suspension packages. Motons are a possibility.
That's great news. Really interested in what James and the gang come up with!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #98
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I got home a little while ago from Road Atlanta to find some blacked out grills for the 1M waiting on my doorstep.

To kill 2 birds with 1 stone here's the new grill and the lights on with the Lamin-X tinted film. I couldn't tell any difference in the output on the road.
Attached Images

05-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #99
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Looks sick and awesome review. The 1M is really starting to look good. Really looking forward to a track review and wonder how the engine will hold up under those conditions. Can't wait to start seeing these out at the track...This is going to be awesome
      05-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #100
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Thanks! I need to keep it up if my plan to take over the world is going to work out. I'm the Charlie Sheen of Roundel this month.

Comparing the Z4 MC / 1M / E46 M3 is like pulling teeth. Just the steering alone is so different in each car. I was talking to my friend who owns Lamin-X yesterday (and owns that E46) and he had some good praise for the 1M. His E46 has 225's up front vs. the 1M's 245's and the steering ratio on the 2 cars is vastly different. Yesterday I noticed that I could fidget with the stereo in the 1M (I hate reading manuals without trying things first) without wandering around in my lane like the Z4 MC seemed to do. That car demands your attention at all times which on a long trip can be tiring but in a twisty road or on track is awesome. The E46 M3 (non competition package) steering rack feels like a Lincoln Town Car compared to the 1M (his words, not mine). The 1M, to me, is the perfect middle ground and with the big meaty 245's and that wide stance it feels super planted, even just cruising down the highway or changing lanes.

Sorry for the delay in the video. I got a new computer last week and it's proving to take more time to get the editing right. That and my internet connection isn't blazing fast. (One of the downsides to living in a rural area)
WINNING!

Love the 1M! I wish I could afford a 1M, maybe when someone decides it's too small for them I'll sell my 135 and upgrade.
      05-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #101
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I got home a little while ago from Road Atlanta to find some blacked out grills for the 1M waiting on my doorstep.

To kill 2 birds with 1 stone here's the new grill and the lights on with the Lamin-X tinted film. I couldn't tell any difference in the output on the road.

It looks awesome, but no comments about the track? Did you take the 1M on track? I loves me some road atlanta.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #102
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

No track time for me today. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. I did have some fun on the mountain and used the M button with MDM. It didn't take long to realize how much that button really does to this car. I never really liked the sport mode on the Z4 MC because it seemed too jumpy but I got used to the M almost immediately. I kept the revs below 4k but used the torque and momentum and the car just flowed nicely.
      05-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #103
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Dan, next time you go up to the Tail, let me know. Would love to check out your 1M and take the turns behind you. Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #104
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
No track time for me today. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. I did have some fun on the mountain and used the M button with MDM. It didn't take long to realize how much that button really does to this car. I never really liked the sport mode on the Z4 MC because it seemed too jumpy but I got used to the M almost immediately. I kept the revs below 4k but used the torque and momentum and the car just flowed nicely.
This was the mode that the car was set up with in Leipzig. It allows the car to get nicely sideways under hard acceleration before reigning things in (well, in the wet at least). The steering is awesome. The car performed so well that I didn't in any way feel cheated that I didn't get to drive it with the traction control completely off. That's for when you want the crazy tire smoking Jeremy Clarkson burnouts happen. Speaking of which, I'm curious if clarkson or Hammond gets the 1M when they review it on Top Gear. If they have a Porsche Cayman in a comparo i presume Hammond will be in the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #105
xjarhed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:

Dan,
Thank you for your posts, write ups and photos. I ride a Harley and saw nothing that would say you are anything but courteous on the road. It is obvious you know how to handle yourself and a very quick car. I wasn't really sold on your color, but I could see myself in white. I am not on a list yet but am hoping to be shortly. There are none in Oregon yet and even the largest dealer has nothing as of today. My wife volunteered her to Z4M to me today when my 2009 335 lease is up. We'll see. I might take her up and that if I can't get a hold of one of these. Again, thanks for sharing with us!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #106
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't in any way feel cheated that I didn't get to drive it with the traction control completely off. That's for when you want the crazy tire smoking Jeremy Clarkson burnouts happen.
When you do drive one with gizmos off you better have quick hands and large attachments. I tried it when heading south on the dragons tail and it was awesome! It really will be a mass of fun after break in, on track with everything off. The only other car I've driven like it was a supercharged miata I had a few years ago (300 hp and huge torque down low). No ABS and no aero whatsoever! In the 1M, to power out of a 2nd gear uphill switchback at part throttle in 3rd gear and have the back end kick out made me very aware of the attention I had better give the 1M. I haven't auto x'd in several years but something makes me want to get up early on a Sunday morning and go play with the cones now. 500 more miles to go before the fluids get replaced and then (on the way home) I'm off to The Racers Market dyno for a few pulls on their new machine.

I think the top gear boys will like the 1M, even though it's not made in the UK.

Last edited by Dan Parker; 05-13-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #107
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Here's some video from last night. I mounted the GoPro to the dash with a stick on mount. This gives a little clearer recording of the sound, which by the way has improved since I bought the car. It now burbles and pops a little.

05-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #108
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Here's some video from last night.
Like the road!

Nice of them to give you two lanes going uphill - but didn't you know that you're supposed to keep to the right so faster vehicles can overtake you?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #109
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Black Tip Option

Cost - $7
Time - 1.5 hours (sanding, taping, and prep work)

1200 degree high temp paint (This has been on the tips of my race car for 4 years and looks like the day I painted it)

Not for everyone but I like it.
Attached Images

05-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #110
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I was going to get black tips on my meisterschaft exhaust too but I think I'm going to go the titanium route this time around.

Can you take a pic farther back? Looks nice and raw.
Appreciate 0