BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #45
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I can't relate to those who dislike manual shifting in traffic so I'm the last person you should ask. For me, manual actually makes the drive within traffic more pleasant!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #46
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
You text while driving?
No, i don't shave or eat fast food either, though with bluetooth I will talk on the phone when necessary, i guess even with out it I would, unless I was on base.
      11-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #47
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
No, i don't shave or eat fast food either, though with bluetooth I will talk on the phone when necessary, i guess even with out it I would, unless I was on base.
Edit: About the cell phone on base thing, I find it ironic that the Army gives me and my other crewmember multiple radios to monitor and expects us to monitor the radios, fly low and fast, at night, and taget and destroy the enemy; but I can't call my wife while driving on base:iono:. And the kicker is, it isn't because of the call (you can call with a bluetooth device) it is because I have to hold the phone. If I drive an auto, do I really need both hands while driving? I just think it is ironic and my feelings are if you can't drive safe while talking on a cell phone you probably shouldn't drive at all.
      11-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #48
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I do not regret at all. FYI, most of my "friends" do not know how to drive manual. So, I have been the only driver of my 1. Also, those that do know, I also made up another rule...

"If you do not currently drive a manual transmission car, you cannot drive my 1 at all".

So as you can see, it has another purpose. *sly smile*

Those that have auto, I love it. I got to try it when BMW CA had their "not every1 gets it" promotion of the 1. I love the paddle shifters.

If anything, I would not mind having 2 1's ... A vert 135 or even a 128 auto, fully loaded...

And a 135i hard top coupe, sport option, usb and that is it!!!

Now that is living... So do I regret?????
NO Way!
Do I like auto transmission
YES, it's sweet!

If I did order the auto I would not be unhappy at all! It does not take away from the car, if anything... The manual just is that extra little fun... Like finding the prize in the box of crackerjacks!

EspressoBoy
      11-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #49
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Regret? nope

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #50
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Would never go auto.. EVER
      11-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #51
MrHick
135i
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
Real cars have manual transmissions.:wink:

^:drinking: > :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #52
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

IMO if they market it as a drivers car an reincarnation of the 2002 ...shouldnt be automatic....128 I dont care 135 is a no no. I cant drive any suv execpt the cayenne GTS which comes in manual.
Shifting in traffic is entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #53
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

No regrets!

I would not buy a sports/performance car without a manual shifter. I could see the auto for the people that spend their rush hour sitting in traffic but it takes me 20 min to go 15 miles in rush hour traffic.
      11-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #54
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Edit: About the cell phone on base thing, I find it ironic that the Army gives me and my other crewmember multiple radios to monitor and expects us to monitor the radios, fly low and fast, at night, and taget and destroy the enemy; but I can't call my wife while driving on base:iono:. And the kicker is, it isn't because of the call (you can call with a bluetooth device) it is because I have to hold the phone. If I drive an auto, do I really need both hands while driving? I just think it is ironic and my feelings are if you can't drive safe while talking on a cell phone you probably shouldn't drive at all.
We're not supposed to use a cell on Kirtland AFB here in Albuquerque though we are expected to run satellite ops while engaging in a number of other tasks. None of which are as hard as flying low and fast while keeping track of hostiles.

Supposedly driving while on a cell phone makes you as apt to have an accident as being drunk. That is counterintuitive to me but I have observed some really bad driving by people on cells (usually too slow and in the way and not staying in lane well). Of course, New Mexico drivers are the worst I've ever seen anyway. I think we give the great unwashed too much credit. If they had to pass a real driving test with skill on wet/icy roads, predictive driving where you anticipate the actions of others, and real situational awareness, only 50% of current drivers would be on the road.
      11-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #55
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
We're not supposed to use a cell on Kirtland AFB here in Albuquerque though we are expected to run satellite ops while engaging in a number of other tasks. None of which are as hard as flying low and fast while keeping track of hostiles.

Supposedly driving while on a cell phone makes you as apt to have an accident as being drunk. That is counterintuitive to me but I have observed some really bad driving by people on cells (usually too slow and in the way and not staying in lane well). Of course, New Mexico drivers are the worst I've ever seen anyway. I think we give the great unwashed too much credit. If they had to pass a real driving test with skill on wet/icy roads, predictive driving where you anticipate the actions of others, and real situational awareness, only 50% of current drivers would be on the road.
Yeah, that is kind of what I was getting at. People who don't have the mental capacity to talk on a cell phone while driving safely should probably not be allowed to drive. While talking when driving, you just have to set that your focus is on driving, no on the conversation. I have seen people do all kinds of stupid crap while driving, I think when people see them with a cell phone they automatically use the cell phone as the cause, not the idiot on the controls.
      11-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #56
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

An auto-gearbox is like a hot chick you've never seen naked.....

......but the first time she undresses, you see she has cottage cheese thighs. You know you were fooled by those tight pants!!!!
      11-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #57
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Wife gotta drive when Im buzzed!

Oh yeah the most important reason for me to have the step....
My wife cant drive a manual!
When I wanna take my 1er to a night out/wedding/family occasion/etc. I love to put a few down! Sometimes more than a few!!
I would much rather have my wife drive home when im ripped!!!
She knows I love to show off my 1er at these functions, but shoot, I never ever want a DWI !!!
For that reason; more than any other reason, and
for that couple dozen times I really really wanna drive TO the place, but dont wanna drive FROM the place, gimme the auto.
Btw, no way should she b driving a stick neway! I'd be better with a manual drunk than she would be sober. Hummm
:wub:
:drinking:
Appreciate 0