BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
c0ris07
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Oil thermostat delete plate

Currently I have an ER sports oil cooler kit installed on my 135i. I never really like the location of the nylon hoses so I wanted to re-route them. Since I'm re-routing anyway I figure I would install a inline thermostat (improved racing 185deg) and delete the factory thermostat with the RB plate.

1. Will I have to bleed to coolant system after installing the plate? Is it difficult? I've not dealt with a closed system before.
2. The delete plate has 2 -10 AN fittings on it. One has to be return and one flow. Inline thermostat has a from engine/to engine direction so I want to make sure to plumb it in correct. If you looking at the front of the oil filter housing is left or right flow?

Thanks for the help
Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I'll answer your second question first... The flow line is on the right and the return line is on the left when facing the engine from the front. Without a thermostat, there's no need to prime the oil cooler or lines but I understand why you're asking if priming is required when installing an inline thermostat. I'm not sure what the answer is but there are two 8mm allen bolts the sit right above where the flow and return bolt into the housing. You can remove these allen bolts and try to fill the oil cooler and lines from both sides. At least you'll be able to see if the closed thermostat restricts your ability to fill the oil cooler/lines and causes an air bubble which would prevent the thermostat from opening.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
c0ris07
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks for that, I ended up finding an Advan kit which showed what you say, see attachment.

Not as concerned about the oil priming as I am the coolant.

See a photo from e90post that shows the coolant pocket, does removing this plate mean coolant will piss out everywhere and there will be air pockets in the system now and it needs to be bled?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

If you find some coolant drains from the housing, there's an easy way to prime the cooling system. Turn the temperature on the climate control to highest temperature setting (full heat). Turn the fan to the lowest setting. Put the key in the ignition and press the start button to turn on the electrical system but don't start the car. Now hold you foot down on the gas for 5-10 seconds. You will hear the water pump start to cycle. It will start and stop until the system is fully primed. Once the process starts, you can take your foot off the gass. Leave the door open when you do this. If the door is closed when you start the process and then opened, it will sometime stop the priming. The priming can take several minutes so I recommend you hook the car up to a battery charger so you don't accidentally drain the battery. You know it's done when the water pump runs continuously for a while then stops. It's obviously easier to hear it cycle on and off and finally stop if the hood is open.
Appreciate 0