BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
JacobND
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

DIY: 1M interior on a 135i

Hello all:

I have been slowly gathering information on how to make my 2012 135 as similar to a 1m as possible. I absolutely love the 1m styling but hate the price tag.

My first (and probably toughest) modification was the interior. I have the all black leather interior with nav on my 135i so it made it relatively easy to get close to the 1m interior without just buying the actual parts.

The first thing I did was get floor mats

Then I decided I wanted to alcantara wrap my interior. So far I have attempted my door pulls, dash trim, and arm rest. Here are some pictures:

Admittedly, they are not perfect but they are far better than what I had before and all I have time for this week.

If I decide I think I can do a better job I will probably peel them off and try again.

Instructions:
[LIST]
  1. Remove the trim piece
  2. Apply either vinyl wrap or painters tape to the surface to prevent from ruining the part finish with glue
  3. Cut the fabric oversized and put a tape line where you want to stitch
  4. Sew two orange stitches in a straight line approximately 1/3" apart (make sure they are parallel)
  5. Remove the painters tape
  6. Spray glue on the backside of the material in 3 even coats. Make sure that the fabric does not get over-saturated and bleed through
  7. line up the edge stitches with the trim edge piece and slowly apply like applying vinyl. (note you cannot peel and restick easily so try to get it right the first time)
  8. Tuck all edges over like wrapping with vinyl
  9. Reinstall the trim piece!

Removing armrest cover
  • Slowly pry inbetween the faux leather and plastic gap
  • Make sure to pry the cap out not up to prevent from breaking the tabs
  • The entire piece will pop off as you go around the edge and release the clips
  • **You do not need to remove the center console or the arm rest support for this

For the armrest I also used industrial staples to secure the fabric one edge before I sprayed the adhesive. Then I stapled the otherside after wrapping the fabric. The fabric didn't want to stick to the trim without the staples helping to hold it. Also, you cannot leave a lot of excess fabric otherwise it blocks the clips.

Materials used:
3M adhesive spray #90
Orange nylon thread from Joanns
Fabric scissors
Sewing machine with large size needle
Etsy charcoal faux suede

Make sure you get non-stretch suede. The only way you know if it is non-stretch is by getting a sample. I tried using suede from Joanns and it wouldn't stitch correctly because it was so stretchy and had very little support to the material.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know down below.
Appreciate 0