BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

128s new stable mate

Back on May 13th, we suffered a major hail storm here at my house just south of Raleigh NC. Out of that we're getting a new roof, several windows, a door, gutters, some siding and a cover over the deck.

Along with that, my beloved '08 Bullitt mustang was totaled from the hail strikes. While still completely drive-able, I couldn't stand to look at it anymore and even I fixed all of the hail damage, it's still a salvaged titled car. Wound up selling it to a young man that will continue to autocross the car, so long live the bullitt.

Now I needed a fun ride to compliment the 128. I had thought about selling the 1er, but wife said no, "I like the convertible". So there's that.

I went back to the "what would you buy to replace your 1 series" thread and started looking. My situation is that I'm tall in the upper body and needed a fun car with a manual where I could wear my helmet and keep autocrossing.

Enter the new Golf R. Looked at several new rides, but this is the only one that made sense. I would have preferred a GTI, but none would fit me right, so I paid the price and purchased. Only ~200 miles on it right now, so I have a long way to go on the break in period of 1100 miles. Damn...

Anyway, here it is. Comment away...

Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
      07-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
2WheelDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2005 BMW R1200GS

Very nice! Definitely on my "cars to own one day" list!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Gweeper64
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i N51 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
Back on May 13th, we suffered a major hail storm here at my house just south of Raleigh NC. Out of that we're getting a new roof, several windows, a door, gutters, some siding and a cover over the deck.

Along with that, my beloved '08 Bullitt mustang was totaled from the hail strikes. While still completely drive-able, I couldn't stand to look at it anymore and even I fixed all of the hail damage, it's still a salvaged titled car. Wound up selling it to a young man that will continue to autocross the car, so long live the bullitt.

Now I needed a fun ride to compliment the 128. I had thought about selling the 1er, but wife said no, "I like the convertible". So there's that.

I went back to the "what would you buy to replace your 1 series" thread and started looking. My situation is that I'm tall in the upper body and needed a fun car with a manual where I could wear my helmet and keep autocrossing.

Enter the new Golf R. Looked at several new rides, but this is the only one that made sense. I would have preferred a GTI, but none would fit me right, so I paid the price and purchased. Only ~200 miles on it right now, so I have a long way to go on the break in period of 1100 miles. Damn...

Congrats. Nice ride. But I don't understand how you could fit in a Golf R but not a GTI ???? Ummm ...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
olds350
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweeper64 View Post
Congrats. Nice ride. But I don't understand how you could fit in a Golf R but not a GTI ???? Ummm ...
GTI requires a sunroof with the nicer interior and powered seats, the R doesn't have the sunroof, so I fit with a helmet..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Gweeper64
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i N51 6mt M-Sport

Ah, got it! Didn't know the '19 required the sunroof. Even the "Rabbit Edition" ? Oh, but then you don't get some of the other nicer bits.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:

Congrats on the Golf R!! That's always been on my shortlist of potential cars to pick up as well. All wheel drive, good amount of power, lots of cargo room, looks decent (most [none 1er owners] would say better than our 1s), and the fit and finish is still very nice. Friend of mine bought one and said it was 90% there with minimal mods (rear sway bar and upgraded tires I think) compared to his 996 Cabrio 4S with KWV3, upgraded wheels and tires, exhaust, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
apex_prd8r
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6M M-Sport

Nice!

Golf R was near the top of my list when I was looking to replace my TSX. I was down to a BRZ (most fun, but not practical), Golf R (most practical, but a bit too much money) or, my ultimate selection, my 2011 128i (perfect blend of sport, practicality, and depreciated well into my price range).

Had the current Golf R been on the market longer with depreciated examples in my price range I probably would have jumped on one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
olds350
United_States
Rep

I was hesitant to buy, but with the new mark 8 coming out, I don't buy first gen cars, always has bugs. The warranty on this was also a draw. I hated to pay so much and I did look at the golf S and the rabbit, but the seat bottom doesn't tilt and it makes sitting uncomfortable for me. When you get to the SE and Autobahn, those require sunroofs, so that makes wearing a helmet to do autocross a non-starter.

I do plan to keep this in D street for autox, so a decent set of tires, rear sway and brake pads will be in place for next year.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      07-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Very nice, love the Golf Rs. Crazy grip and super tuneable, this kit makes a ton of power for about 4k.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-det...e&engineid=181
      07-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
I was hesitant to buy, but with the new mark 8 coming out, I don't buy first gen cars, always has bugs. The warranty on this was also a draw. I hated to pay so much and I did look at the golf S and the rabbit, but the seat bottom doesn't tilt and it makes sitting uncomfortable for me. When you get to the SE and Autobahn, those require sunroofs, so that makes wearing a helmet to do autocross a non-starter.

I do plan to keep this in D street for autox, so a decent set of tires, rear sway and brake pads will be in place for next year.
Nice. I went to a Porsche club sponsored AutoX a couple of years ago, and one guy showed up with his Golf R. Amongst a sea of Porsches, guess which car had the best time that day...
Appreciate 1
olds350347.00
      07-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:

Ahhhhhh! That's one of my worst automotive fears. I feel your loss. I have a 2009 Bullitt and if anything like that ever happens I think I'd sell it also. If I ever sell my Bullitt, I'm going to try like hell to get an M2 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Congrats! I think the Mk7's are about as perfect as hatchbacks come in the United States. Handsome, clean, well-engineered, and well-made.

You might've considered finding a 2017 GTI Sport. Comes with the Performance pack, and no sunroof.
      07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
olds350
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Congrats! I think the Mk7's are about as perfect as hatchbacks come in the United States. Handsome, clean, well-engineered, and well-made.

You might've considered finding a 2017 GTI Sport. Comes with the Performance pack, and no sunroof.
I've never bought a new car just for myself, was either family or wife targeted, so this was my choice. Didn't want a new mark 8 since it's a new generation. Wasn't aware of the GTI performance pack, that would have been a nice find...
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
I've never bought a new car just for myself, was either family or wife targeted, so this was my choice. Didn't want a new mark 8 since it's a new generation. Wasn't aware of the GTI performance pack, that would have been a nice find...
Don't fret, lol, your car is way better.
olds350347.00
      07-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Fantastic choice! I've always been a fan of R-line VWs

You know what, treat yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post

Interesting... did not know this.
      07-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #17
2WheelDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2005 BMW R1200GS

We bought a 2017 Golf this spring as a shop car. It's as basic as you can get, but it's actually a really nice little car, tons of fun to drive, and even in the base spec, build quality is excellent, that's what got me interested in owning a Golf R. Our staff don't complain about doing out calls any more either!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
olds350347.00
      07-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
olds350
United_States
Rep

Not sure if it's a good idea to give VW golf reviews on the 1 series forum, but I'll be brief. I've now officially owned this car for 1 week and have a whopping 237 miles on it. Such is the benefit of working from home. I will say that this R is technology rich and I'm still learning the digital dash and it's options, very configurable.

The ride is great, but I have to say I like the feel of my 128 m-sport better. I'm not a fan of electric steering. Again, while configurable, it lacks the sole of a good hydraulic steering feel. It feels to "light" for me and doesn't true up to center as well.

Power. This is where the R shines over the 128, no comparison. I find the electronic parking brake maddening and I hate it. I understand why they installed it for safety reasons, but when I can't turn brake off is infuriating... It will only turn off when the car is in gear and the seat belt is on. This is something I need to code out...

Over all impression for the short time I've owned it? Very positive. Great utility with the hatch, handles very well, impressive gas mileage and plenty of umphhh. Hoping this turns out to be a good choice on my part.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Not sure if it's a good idea to give VW golf reviews on the 1 series forum, but I'll be brief. I've now officially owned this car for 1 week and have a whopping 237 miles on it. Such is the benefit of working from home. I will say that this R is technology rich and I'm still learning the digital dash and it's options, very configurable.

The ride is great, but I have to say I like the feel of my 128 m-sport better. I'm not a fan of electric steering. Again, while configurable, it lacks the sole of a good hydraulic steering feel. It feels to "light" for me and doesn't true up to center as well.

Power. This is where the R shines over the 128, no comparison. I find the electronic parking brake maddening and I hate it. I understand why they installed it for safety reasons, but when I can't turn brake off is infuriating... It will only turn off when the car is in gear and the seat belt is on. This is something I need to code out...

Over all impression for the short time I've owned it? Very positive. Great utility with the hatch, handles very well, impressive gas mileage and plenty of umphhh. Hoping this turns out to be a good choice on my part.
The power is nice, but that thing has a ton of TQ for something as small as it is. Aren't they in the 3,000lb range?

I do wish the mods we do to our cars would have more effect on the TQ than they do. Even with going past FBO and installing the Supercharger that's available.....the TQ you gain from is it pitiful to say the least.

Not knocking our cars as I'm almost FBO now...and the car is a blast to drive especially since it delivers the power so much more differently than my Corvette.
      07-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
maximusbibicus
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future 1 Series Convertible

Great choice! I've had mine for two years and have been thrilled with my purchase. Gives me a smile every time a drive. Only thing that would make it perfect would be a sunroof.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
The power is nice, but that thing has a ton of TQ for something as small as it is. Aren't they in the 3,000lb range?
Lots of torque, yes. Lightweight, no. It weighs about 100lb more than a 128.

Quote:
I do wish the mods we do to our cars would have more effect on the TQ than they do. Even with going past FBO and installing the Supercharger that's available.....the TQ you gain from is it pitiful to say the least.
I actually think our engines have surprisingly good mid-range torque, but they are lacking slightly on the low end - but still miles ahead of N/A VTEC Hondas and the Toybaru twins. It's a personal preference, but I like winding an engine out for full power. That's where the N52 comes up short for me. I'm hoping to free up the top end power on mine with some engine mods soon. Otherwise I'm happy with the power.

Quote:
Not knocking our cars as I'm almost FBO now...and the car is a blast to drive especially since it delivers the power so much more differently than my Corvette.
My Mustang has all the torque I could want, but it handles like a pig. Even if the skidpad numbers were higher, that's not a true indicator of how a car feels behind the wheel. My 128 strikes a nearly perfect balance between feeling nimble but still solid.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 07-18-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      07-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
olds350
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusbibicus View Post
Great choice! I've had mine for two years and have been thrilled with my purchase. Gives me a smile every time a drive. Only thing that would make it perfect would be a sunroof.
lol, that's the one thing I didn't want due to the helmet issue, so this worked out for me...
Appreciate 0