BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Closed Thread

01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #45
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Whoever thinks the new Mustang GT is not a performer, needs to get off their high horse BMW and admit the facts.

Fanboi'ism is what makes any forum stink.
      01-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #46
Cyan007
Rep
Drives: 2004 GSXR600, 2008 Civic SI

Now... another discussion entirely will be this GT vs. Challenger SRT vs. Camero SS. I think this GT for 10-15k less will outperform its rival models. That's saying a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #47
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

if I wanted HP, I wouldn't have bought BMW in the first place already.
Am I the only one????
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #48
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
if I wanted HP, I wouldn't have bought BMW in the first place already.
Am I the only one????

Its not just about HP with the mustang GT anymore.

Look at its track performance figures every year since 2000, they just keep getting better and better.

Dont take my word for it.
      01-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #49
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
[COLOR=Navy] I remember reading the car will only produce around 8hp less on 87 octane. I'm guessing it was tuned for 91. I think its great too that the oil change intervals have been bumped to 10,000miles. That's approaching the suggested intervals of the Europeans. Now, I wouldnt wait that long with my Mustang GT if I owned one. These cars already sound great stock. I'm not sure if it would be necessary to tinker with the exhaust.
Now that you mention it, I think I remember the 87 octane part losing a bit of power too.
That SHOULD mean if it's 412 hp on 91, you may NOT need a tune to get a bit more power out of 93 Octane anyway.
If the ECU has advanced timing and knock retard abilities to adjust both UP and down, the car may be capable of 415-416 hp for 93 Octane states. Clearly more if also tuned for 93 and pushed more to the limit of the timing/knock sensor adjustments.

Yeah, I think the only real reason to change the exhaust is if you want it to sound louder and more aggressive, or to be more individual with the car. The 5-8 hp you'll get won't mean a lot, but an aftermarket exhaust may allow the car to drop 20-30 lbs too.
Combine the sound, bit extra power and a bit of weight loss, and it may be worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #50
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan007 View Post
Now... another discussion entirely will be this GT vs. Challenger SRT vs. Camero SS. I think this GT for 10-15k less will outperform its rival models. That's saying a lot.
SRT8 seems to not be up to the Camaro SS and upcoming Mustang GT anymore.
The SRT8 ruled a just 2 years ago and was pretty bad ass when they first came out.
But they are too big and too heavy and no longer as fast as either of the Camaro or new Mustang.

If Chrysler could find a way to make those cars a bit smaller and 200-300 lbs lighter and give the 6.1 Hemi 450 hp, it would be a player again for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #51
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I think compareing these two cars will be simular to compareing a K Bar and a scapel... both do the job, but it's harder to be percise with a K Bar no matter how sharp it is.
      01-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #52
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
Bro, listen...

Low end torque means exactly that.. a typical driver will use "low-end" torque, 100x more than, if they were to ever touch peak torque. Which ironically, with a NA engine, is a single point within the powerband..

Think on that for a while and let that sink in.
The only thing that sinks in with after reading this post is that you STILL don't have a grasp on the subject at hand, and your overuse of various fonts and bold letters doesn't do a damn thing to mask it.

I never said the Mustang was going to be lighter than the M1. YOU are the one just pulling numbers out of your ass, as usual.

And where in the world do you get this idea that a NA V8 engine is peaky in nature?! Have you ever even seen the torque curve on the vehicle in question?! BRO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post

Lastly , ever hear of the word "funner" ..?
No, because it's not even a word.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #53
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Geez... jeremyc74... you're one of my favorite 1addicts poster. I've learned a lot from your posts and find that I agree with you most of the time.

... but whoah boy! Take it doooooown a notch.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #54
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Geez... jeremyc74... you're one of my favorite 1addicts poster. I've learned a lot from your posts and find that I agree with you most of the time.

You'd feel the same way about this guy if you'd seen the insults and insinuations he's been throwing around.

Not to mention the FACT that he doesn't even understand the difference between HP and torque, and just makes up numbers to support his arguements (such as the 400lb difference between the M1 and Mustang he quoted earlier), and refuses to acknowledge very basic and undeniable truths, such as never using extreme low end torque during spirited driving, or the fact that the Mustang has NEVER been lacking in it in the first place.

And to add to all that, I hate when use the term "Bro" on web forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #55
Bcav
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
would rather drive a bimmer than a mustang. a Mustang is a me-too car. a bmw, an M at that, is quite the opposite. More power stock? maybe. dont forget its much easier to raise the power of a FI car for lower prices than it is to increase the power of a NA engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #56
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Ford really has come a long way. They have been fiscally responsible and are producing an excellent line of vehicles. Hats off to them as they did not go whining to the government with their hands out. They continued to forge ahead without assistance and have really done a fantastic job.

I for one am not a big mustang fan but I have to tell you this car is going to be a serious ride from what I am reading and hearing about it. Good for Ford! All that being said, the M1 will be my next vehicle but there is no doubt the stang will be giving a damn good run.
      01-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #57
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post

+1

Dude stop blaming the car cuz you can't get a clean 1-2 shift!

3.73 LSD on my new 5.0 will be a beast
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #58
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzone View Post
+1

Dude stop blaming the car cuz you can't get a clean 1-2 shift!
Sure, as soon as you stop pretending BMWs are flawless.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #59
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I really enjoy my 1 but everytime I see the GT and hear that V8, ...
Well, I've been living abroad for the past 15 yrs and I truly miss the rumble - it's just what reminds me of America - for all I know it's probably built in Taiwan but regardless, that's what it does for me - don't take it for granted.

I'm not sure at what stage in my mid-life I'm at but I'm pretty sure I'd choose the GT over the M1 - also because I think it's important I expose my kids to that rumble.

I seriously doubt anyone going from a 135i to the M1 is going to be impressed, especially if they have a modded 135 (tune/suspension). I see it as buying the same car all over again, just with an M badge...naah, not for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #60
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
I really enjoy my 1 but everytime I see the GT and hear that V8, ...
Well, I've been living abroad for the past 15 yrs and I truly miss the rumble - it's just what reminds me of America - for all I know it's probably built in Taiwan but regardless, that's what it does for me - don't take it for granted.
Just going to say that Ford V8s are still produced in the US. Dont loose hope on "built in the USA" yet

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #61
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Those who are interested, GM will be switching from LS2 6.2 V8 to 5.5V8 sometimes later in 2010. Engine will be modernized... Might be very impressive..
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/c...8-for-sebring/
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #62
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Yup.
I think if you are looking for a purely performance car at a VERY reasonable price (and don't care for BMW...or even VW, levels of luxury, refinement (except the new 5.0 is said to be super stout and refined), then I think the 2011 Mustang GT is going to be a huge sales success.
I mean really, with the Track Pack and Brembo brakes, it will out run the GT500 around a track and be not far off of the M3 (though you'll probably have to work harder driving the MGT).

Ford is going to clean up with the new GT.
Now if only they'd make one with an IRS
I like the new body, 2010 model.
Ford did a nice upgrade on the interior, but still not the same league as a costlier Audi or BMW.

The biggest selling point of American muscle cars has always been the BIG power numbers. The Mustang GT does ok with handling, but it's not in the same league as even our poorly suspended 135i.
Ford gets accolades for the live axel rear setup, but at this 2011 price point Ford better something much more magical with that to convince me to reconsider it. The 412hp number is attractive, but again, it's not how you go fast, but how well you go fast.
The live axle is going to actually help with that much power, especially off th line drag performance. However, that same setup will hinder it's performance.

Also, we'll have to see and feel how well the overall suspension will be to live once we get a chance to drive it for more than it's big power numbers.
Seeing the 2011 picts I am again disappointed at how high the Mustang sits, just like it always has. It makes it look tall and I've always hated how tall it sits. Ford could have at least worked on the side body trim to alter the visual look of how tall it sits. But that tallness does hurt the overall performance as it's not really helping to bring the mass down low.
Ford also need to address the weight balance front to rear.

Comparing the new GT to the M3 is just ridiculous really. No M3 buyer is going to cross shop these 2 cars. Maybe a M1 buyer might, maybe.
More likely a 135i buyer will cross shop it as that is where the price point will come in.

Oh, and after reading the C&D track review, which I think it where most other articles are citing performance potential, the numbers generated by that new GT were generated not by a base GT, but with track type tires and tweaked suspension that may not be the one the for sale GT will get.

To answer a question posed in a post, yes I will test drive it and consider it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #63
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Sure, as soon as you stop pretending BMWs are flawless.

Good for you BRO!
If I were you, and I so can't be, I would sell your typically problematic 135i and drive a reliable used Camry, put a deposit down on a 2011 GT, and wait til it comes in. You can pass the time by perusing the highly informative Mushtang forums to read about all the cars a GT can beat.
FUN!

Last edited by RPM90; 01-24-2010 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #64
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Good for you BRO!
If I were you, and I so can't be, I would sell your typically problematic 135i and drive a reliable used Camry, put a deposit down on a 2011 GT, and wait til it comes in. You can pass the time by perusing the highly informative Mushtang forums to read about all the cars a GT can beat.
FUN!
Do you realize how childish it is that it upsets and offends you when people openly talk about issues these cars have?

Your blind loyalty makes you look foolish when you feel the need to insult anyone who says anything remotely negative about a vehicle. I guess it's impossible for a car company to make a fun AND reliable car?! And a person shouldn't want to have both? What kind of backwards logic is that?

The cars have some problems. Accept that and give up on attempting to silence anyone who mentions them. The attitude that I should "love it or leave it" at great personal expense if idiotic. I'd much rather hold the company responsible, and if it upsets you I really couldn't care less.

How about this idea....if you dont' want to hear my comments about the car's issues, or see me respond to someone who's taking a shot at me, LEAVE THE BOARD, or at the very least, mind your own business.

Last edited by jeremyc74; 01-24-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #65
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

No comparison, one well made German performance car the other a tin can that will fall apart in 5 mins... Pointless comparing them.
      01-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #66
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
No comparison, one well made German performance car the other a tin can that will fall apart in 5 mins... Pointless comparing them.
Wow! No comparison? None at all? So similar price points as a 135i, similar amount seats, Drivetrain, option lists, weight, etc etc. makes it pointless?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread