BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Folks, this hhas been posted before in at least 3 other such threads. Just search next time
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1-series Audio Background.pdf (20.7 KB, 418 views)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Man, why don't people just search?!?! There have been N+1 threads on this topic.

But spend the $850 on aftermarket plug-and-play speakers (in fact 1/2 of that), and you will have something that will leave people asking what is Harmon Kardon and why would someone even bother ticking the option box...
100% complete agree with this part of the statement.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #25
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

[QUOTE=formula M;9162763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
100% complete agree with this part of the statement.
^^.. listen, any audiophile will tell u, that fidelity and clarity overrides the need for volume. U pretend, yet u base your entire conclusion on the volume knob.

Even then, I cannot agree with your recommendations, because they don't resolve anything. Why not simple consider the strait-forward approach to solving the problem us discerning listeners would have. There is nothing wrong with the Harmon Kardon unit, or sound stage. Nor anything else in that system.

But, something as simply replacing the speakers themselves, with much more attenuated and efficient sound, can indeed increase your system's potential, much more than by anything, you've mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
jetblackone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

It comes down to this: Who do you trust ?

If you don't trust non-BMW personnel to work on your new car, then get the HK, which is the best you can do stock. If you trust an outside shop then spend the $ to get a full upgrade - i.e., amp plus speakers. Good quality equipment is going to run you at least twice the cost of the HK, but will sound better if properly chosen and installed. I opted to keep it stock and maintain my warranty...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
Pinta
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackone View Post
If you don't trust non-BMW personnel to work on your new car, then get the HK, which is the best you can do stock. If you trust an outside shop then spend the $ to get a full upgrade - i.e., amp plus speakers. Good quality equipment is going to run you at least twice the cost of the HK, but will sound better if properly chosen and installed. I opted to keep it stock and maintain my warranty...
I think I will be very happy with the HK. I have asked my dealer to add to the list!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #28
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Re

Is the harman/kardon emblem (located on speaker grilles) available as separate part instead of complete speaker cover (grille)?
If yes, anyone has a part number handy??
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #29
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I did not seriously investigate the HK when I bought my 2009 vert. I have the HiFi or mid level system. It has the same number of speakers as the HK - or at least it did in 2009. My main reason to post is to comment that I tested the frequency response in my car. I made a CD of test tones at different frequencies and then used a sound pressure meter to see how loud the car speakers were. The test tones were all the same volume so any difference was the speakers.

What I found out surprised me some. The maligned subs had pretty good response below 100HZ. It was actually louder than the mid and high frequency response. Given the size, I am sure they run out of steam at modest sound pressures but that is the kind of level I listen at and they were not distorting. The other surprising thing is the frequency response above 10,000 HZ was very weak. Some people can hear all the way to 20,000 HZ. I don't listen above 90dB or so. I believe hearing loss starts as low as 85 HZ. The Hi Fi system will reach that sort of sound pressure level including at low frequencies.

I agree it is not the clearest system in the world, however. The sound is somewhat muddy. Better speakers would undoubtedly help.

Those of you who find the bass unacceptable either listen at levels that will damage your ears or like over-boasted bass. That's OK with me, it's your ears and your car. Until I can hear your car from mine, at least, it's fine with me. But when I hear your music, those sound levels are definitely going to lead to hearing problems for you.
      04-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #30
6reg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post

Just search, and make up your mind. But spend the $850 on aftermarket plug-and-play speakers (in fact 1/2 of that)
greetings
i have 2010 128 base system, when you say plug and play do you mean tapping rear speaker line to an aftermarket amp/sub ?
thanks
Appreciate 0