BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Car shuttering at WOT! Help me.

Car has been shuttering pretty hard when I'm at wot especially in 3rd. I have changed the spark plugs and all the fluids. I'm thinking the hpfp? Fuel injectors? Coil packs? I haven't thrown a misfire code on my p3 gauge. The code that were thrown was 29f2 and car went to limp mode. Switched the car off and on and the code reappeared but wasn't in limp mode. Drove the car gently home. Help please?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:02 AM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Sounds like misfires, and the culprit could be injectors, HPFP or both.

Do you know if your injectors were ever replaced?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post

Injectors never replaced. Would that throw a misfire code?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdawood View Post
Quote:

Eventually, but not necessarily every time.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:

A lot of guessing going on so I'll join the party as well. : )

My guess is hpfp because you say it happens at WOT. Fuel injectors usually clog or leak and cause issues with idle. You don't mention if you have a tune which could be a significant variable. You mentioned third gear as well. Was this a high rev high load WOT or a low rev high load pull? Our cars trigger an overboost at WOT in low rev and high load. Usually this is when you are in 6 th cruising and you go WOT high load. This is what kicks over boost in which will require additional fuel. If you are power shifting at redline in 2nd to 3rd then that is a high rev high load situation . So you are either not getting enough air... boost leak from boost pipe Inter cooler etc or you aren't getting enough fuel. If you've checks the boost pipes for leaks or damage then fuel system could be having an issue. Fuel pump or regulator could be the issue. But I think in this case I might quote my father in law. He says he has 4 tools in his toolbox. A screwdriver, pliers, hammer and checkbook. If he can't fix it with the first three he uses the checkbook. This might be appropriate now and pay a diagnostic fee at dealer or bmw specialized independent. They have special equipment that can identify pump issues or you might find yourself replacing a lot of parts guessing. Whatever happens please let us know what you find out! Sorry this happened to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My guess is hpfp because you say it happens at WOT. Fuel injectors usually clog or leak and cause issues with idle. You don't mention if you have a tune which could be a significant variable. You mentioned third gear as well. Was this a high rev high load WOT or a low rev high load pull? Our cars trigger an overboost at WOT in low rev and high load. Usually this is when you are in 6 th cruising and you go WOT high load. This is what kicks over boost in which will require additional fuel. If you are power shifting at redline in 2nd to 3rd then that is a high rev high load situation . So you are either not getting enough air... boost leak from boost pipe Inter cooler etc or you aren't getting enough fuel. If you've checks the boost pipes for leaks or damage then fuel system could be having an issue. Fuel pump or regulator could be the issue. But I think in this case I might quote my father in law. He says he has 4 tools in his toolbox. A screwdriver, pliers, hammer and checkbook. If he can't fix it with the first three he uses the checkbook. This might be appropriate now and pay a diagnostic fee at dealer or bmw specialized independent. They have special equipment that can identify pump issues or you might find yourself replacing a lot of parts guessing. Whatever happens please let us know what you find out! Sorry this happened to you.
Thanks for the help...the issue isn't at idle. The overboost notion you mentioned does hit home a bit and making me think it's the fuel pump...it's not getting enough fuel when it really requires it?
I have an evolve stage 2 tune and have never had an issue. Have forge diverted valves, forge Intercooler, and er charge pipe.
I will aim for the hpfp and go from there. Thanks for the ideas. If there is anyone else who has any thoughts, I would love to hear them.
Thanks very much
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #7
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eventually, but not necessarily every time.
I see. Seems to be the consensus either hpfp or injectors or both...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
When mine went, they both failed. The HPFP failed its test test, got replaced and then the injectors failed their test and got replaced. I had to pay for HPFP, but the injectors have a 10 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. You may just sneak in on the timing on that one depending on when your car was delivered.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the help...the issue isn't at idle. The overboost notion you mentioned does hit home a bit and making me think it's the fuel pump...it's not getting enough fuel when it really requires it?
I have an evolve stage 2 tune and have never had an issue. Have forge diverted valves, forge Intercooler, and er charge pipe.
I will aim for the hpfp and go from there. Thanks for the ideas. If there is anyone else who has any thoughts, I would love to hear them.
Thanks very much
That's is a huge part of it. All those aftermarket parts make a difference. When I was googling the code it kept coming up with aftermarket tunes. I kept looking thinking yours was stock
Since you didn't mention it. There are some that have resolved it by changing some of the tune parameters but keep in mind that a tune does impact the car. Many broke their charge pipes nine stock in WOT now imagine increasing boost. The pumps were a failure point as well as injectors now more boost and fuel during WOT is not going to make things better. I don't mean to be mainsplaining but it comes across that you might not be aware of that. Google that code
And some have had success with some of the adjustable parameters of
The tune. Best wishes
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When mine went, they both failed. The HPFP failed its test test, got replaced and then the injectors failed their test and got replaced. I had to pay for HPFP, but the injectors have a 10 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. You may just sneak in on the timing on that one depending on when your car was delivered.
Good to know. I'll head in that direction. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #11
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks very much
That's is a huge part of it. All those aftermarket parts make a difference. When I was googling the code it kept coming up with aftermarket tunes. I kept looking thinking yours was stock
Since you didn't mention it. There are some that have resolved it by changing some of the tune parameters but keep in mind that a tune does impact the car. Many broke their charge pipes nine stock in WOT now imagine increasing boost. The pumps were a failure point as well as injectors now more boost and fuel during WOT is not going to make things better. I don't mean to be mainsplaining but it comes across that you might not be aware of that. Google that code
The tune. Best wishes
Point noted. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      04-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks very much
The tune. Best wishes
Point noted. Thanks.
This looks promising
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1002296
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks very much
The tune. Best wishes
Point noted. Thanks.
This looks promising
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1002296
Thanks for that but I'm not sure if that same jb4 piggy back issue would apply to an actual flash? I'm just talking out loud...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Had something similar back around 35k miles - started as almost a super infrequent cough or shutter during full throttle runs, then after a few weeks progressed to misfiring. Was the ignition coils in my case.
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
nachob2307.00
      04-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #15
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Need to do a log to see what's going on. A failing HPFP will also usually have a long crank when starting. A log will show if its crashing under load. It sounds like injectors to me
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #16
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
Need to do a log to see what's going on. A failing HPFP will also usually have a long crank when starting. A log will show if its crashing under load. It sounds like injectors to me
There is no long crank. Yet. So basically hpfp, injectors, coils. Or: answer e. All of the above? As in chance one and if not then in to the next and then...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #17
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
Had something similar back around 35k miles - started as almost a super infrequent cough or shutter during full throttle runs, then after a few weeks progressed to misfiring. Was the ignition coils in my case.
How did you diagnose the issue as the coils and not anything else?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #18
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

My suggestion is to get MHD and a cable or the wifi adapter and log a pull to redline. That will show us what's up, generally speaking.

No codes makes things hard, and you could end up spending a lot of money with no benefit.
      04-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #19
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
My suggestion is to get MHD and a cable or the wifi adapter and log a pull to redline. That will show us what's up, generally speaking.

No codes makes things hard, and you could end up spending a lot of money with no benefit.
I'm gonna try and do that. The log should be able to pin point the culprit. Or at least narrow it down...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #20
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

I did have 29f2 and 2b2c prior.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #21
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

So I replaced the high and low pressure fuel pumps and the appropriate sensors. Did the spark plugs and the injectors. She's running nice and smooth again! And feisty as ever.
Appreciate 1
mtl8850.00
      04-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #22
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Car shuttering at WOT! Help me.

Glad to hear!
Appreciate 0