BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #1
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

DTC & warning light coming on! FIX?

The DTC ( traction control ? ) and warning light is coming on randomly and i cant seem to figure out what is going on. The warning lights will turn off once the car is started up again but reappears randomly anywhere from 1km to 200kms.

weird part is it, the light was on a few years ago and turned off for a year or so. Now it came back and turning on more consistently..

Anyone know the reason behind this and the fix?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep

no solutions ?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Probably your steering angle sensor. Take a look at this thread...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...g+angle+sensor
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
kukimonsta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

just had this happen to me..it's your steering angle sensor...$1000 from dealer to fix...you can turn your car from lock to lock and restart car and drive..it will go away but come back eventually.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:33 AM   #5
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukimonsta View Post
just had this happen to me..it's your steering angle sensor...$1000 from dealer to fix...you can turn your car from lock to lock and restart car and drive..it will go away but come back eventually.
This is actually your DSC light or Dynamic Stability Control light and BRAKE warning light not just a standard warning light. Mine was coming on after anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour of driving and going off every time I restarted the car only to come on again. Now, as of about 2 months ago, it has been on permanently ever since. I have scoured the forums looking for answers and was also led to this steering angle sensor fix which has never resolved the issue for me. I've seen a post or two about this and people stating that an alignment fixed it and my car is currently slightly out of alignment so idk. Will be replacing my tires this month and getting an alignment and we will see then but if it is the angle sensor, what made it cost $1000 to fix????? There are a million other things out there more involved that cost less for them to fix so I'm definitely curious.

Last edited by jcoop269; 01-05-2016 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
kukimonsta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukimonsta View Post
This is actually your DSC light or Dynamic Stability Control light and BREAK warning light not just a standard warning light. Mine was coming on after anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour of driving and going off every time I restarted the car only to come on again. Now, as of about 2 months ago, it has been on permanently ever since. I have scoured the forums looking for answers and was also led to this steering angle sensor fix which has never resolved the issue for me. I've seen a post or two about this and people stating that an alignment fixed it and my car is currently slightly out of alignment so idk. Will be replacing my tires this month and getting an alignment and we will see then but if it is the angle sensor, what made it cost $1000 to fix????? There are a million other things out there more involved that cost less for them to fix so I'm definitely curious.
I'm still under cpo so it was covered. Asked the dealer and they said it would have cost $1000 to replace sensor and program to car with 3 hr labor time.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 02:02 AM   #7
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep

mine kinda fixed itself I assume... or did it?

I put my stock 205/50/17 tires / wheels back on recently and the lights hasn't been on once yet... which is kinda weird.

There can be a few things. I have a Canadian model and a mechanic told me i don't need TPMS because the car has sensors that track the pressure base on wheel rotation. Thus, my summer wheels don't have TPMS.

When I had the light issue, I had my 18 summers on. 225/40 fronts and 245/35 rears. Maybe this is tripping the sensors??

I know my car needs an alignment, since my wheel isnt straight when i drive. but doesnt seem to be the cultprit
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Time to check for thrown codes. Could be your steering angle sensor. It could also be a bad wheel bearing or wheel sensor(dirty?) or even the ABS/DSC Block(they are known) to go bad. G.L.

FYI... see post #7

BMW (SZL)steering wheel sensor re-setting…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Time to check for thrown codes. Could be your steering angle sensor. It could also be a bad wheel bearing or wheel sensor(dirty?) or even the ABS/DSC Block(they are known) to go bad. G.L.

FYI... see post #7

BMW (SZL)steering wheel sensor re-setting…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482
Replaced both front wheel bearings right after I got the car and they appear to be OK so I'm thinking it has something to do with my tires being quite worn at the moment and ready for replacement and the fact that my steering wheel is about an inch to the left when going straight and an alignment is needed. I only think this because as the alignment slowly got worse this year, it came on more and more often and then eventually came on and stayed on when the wheel became noticeably off center. Crossing fingers it's not the DSC unit or angle sensor since both appear to be extremely expensive to fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop269 View Post
Crossing fingers it's not the DSC unit or angle sensor since both appear to be extremely expensive to fix.

There are places that can repair the DSC unit(Block).

www.tachopix.de can do them for a few hundred euros. The SZL sensor isn't that expensive... I think around $400. Not 100% sure on that price. But its not a fortune.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There are places that can repair the DSC unit(Block).

www.tachopix.de can do them for a few hundred euros. The SZL sensor isn't that expensive... I think around $400. Not 100% sure on that price. But its not a fortune.

Dackel
I'm wondering how difficult the DSC block is to remove in order to have repaired...the expense is always in the labor and as far as the SZL sensor, I've been hearing with labor, you're looking at over $1000. It is what it is though...per Carly/BMW, the code is in fact the steering angle sensor, 005e46, so alignment first then go from there. Appreciate the info though!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
In case anyone else out there is having this same issue, I can vouch that an alignment being off can and will most definitely cause both these lights to come up and throw a steering angle sensor code. After 4 new tires and an alignment and about 3 total hours of driving later, the lights disappeared after being on for about 9 months. So even if you think your alignment looks and feels good but you have these lights, go this route before having someone replace the sensor for $1000+.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:59 AM   #13
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine hasnt thrown a light since nov 2015 when i put my stockers back on. Knock on wood***

An many of you have said, the alignment maybe the trigger and myself have the an alignement issue too. Its wheel is off by a couple degrees.

Will fix the summer once i recoup my expense from fixjng my coil packs/ spark, oil pan leak and oil filter gasket. Dang this car is prone with issues....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:30 AM   #14
kinyo
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

Had the same warning lights recently. It was a defective brake pad wear sensor. Brake pads are still ok at 50% thickness.

The sensor is essentially a normally closed switch. When pads are worn down, the sensor touches the rotor and wears itself, causing the "switch" to open. When this happens, the pads and sensor need replacement.

In my case, the sensor is not worn out, however, some tiny metal part of the sensor was deformed, causing a false warning. Mechanic simply bent the metal thing to its proper shape, and car is good to go, no more warning lights.

Hth.
Appreciate 0