BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
naregf
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i M Sport

Window issues after recall re blower-regulator wiring harness.

Took my 128i in to BMW for a recall re blower-regulator wiring harness. They got it all fixed thankfully. The thing works like a charm.

However, got car back and windows were behaving strangely the moment I picked it up.

1. Auto close function no longer works.

2. Slightly worse is that the automatic up/down that occurs as you shut the door also does not work – the window stays outside of the door frame unless you delicately force it under the frame every time.

Perhaps noteworthy is that my trip meter was also reset when I got the car back and that this issue is happening with both windows.

Anyone else with similar issues? Any thoughts on what may have occurred / how to fix it? My best guess so far is that the windows need to be reinitialized, and this may have occurred due to a power loss. Any other theories?

BMW dealership is denying all responsibility in the matter: "the windows are not related to blower-regulator wiring harness". BMW Canada and BMW dealership both say the repair will be covered if it is related to work that was done during the recall. BMW dealership still wants to charge full rate for a diagnostic

Edit: tried to reinitialize windows (reset and reinitialize procedure). Didn't get much out of it.

Last edited by naregf; 10-25-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

You need to re-initialize the windows. Very easy to do, there's some videos on YouTube and instructions if you search the forums.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
naregf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
You need to re-initialize the windows. Very easy to do, there's some videos on YouTube and instructions if you search the forums.
I forgot to mention – seeing as my gut feeling said it was a reinitialization, I went and did the procedure. A few times. Didn't change anything
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Are you sure you did it properly? It's weirdly tricky.

Push the driver's window down with one touch until it gets to the bottom.
Push the button down once more (you should hear a click).
Hold the button in this position for 15-20 seconds.
Now the window switch learning stops should be wiped. You can test this by trying to use the one touch function now and it shouldn't work up or down. If it does, you haven't wiped the learned stops yet.

Pull up on the button before the 2nd position for one touch, and hold it until the window closes.
Pull up on the button to the 2nd position (and hear a click) for one touch and hold it for 15-20s.

This window should now be initialized. The one touch functions should now work as normal, as well as the small drop feature when opening/closing the door.

Repeat for the other side.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
naregf
Rep

Thanks for the advice.

I tried this and I don't think it reinitialized properly.

However, if my door is open and I bring the window all the way up, it goes all the way down by itself after making a weird noise when hitting the top... fun stuff!

Not sure what's causing all this.

Edit: tried various other procedures, on different forums, and had other people try it too. I also timed some of them to make sure I was hitting the timings. NOTHING changes.

Edit 2: when using the key to open / close windows, the sunroof works, but the windows won't open or close.

Edit 3: if the door is open and I hold the switch to roll the window up, it hits the upper limit, makes a weird noise (as described) and if I hold it longer it rolls back down by itself while I'm holding the switch up. At a loss fo what is causing all this.

Edit 4: tried disconnecting and reconnecting battery – no improvement.

Last edited by naregf; 11-04-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Possible the window regulator has given up the ghost? Are both windows messed or just one side? If its broken it won't work at all no matter how many times you re-initialize. Mine bit the dust at probably 100,000 kms or so; it had a hard life with frozen windows that wouldn't roll down when you open or close the door in dead of winter.
Appreciate 0