BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
heist_tub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Crimson Red

replacing coils

So just wondering what's the difference between the genuine BMW coils and the Bosch coils on ecstuning website?
      08-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

absolutely nothing

bosch makes them for BMW

the only difference between parts in these sorts of situations is usually the BMW one has the BMW logo. that's it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
absolutely nothing

bosch makes them for BMW

the only difference between parts in these sorts of situations is usually the BMW one has the BMW logo. that's it.
There IS a difference between OE and OEM. Not just in the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

The only difference is that you will be paying out the ass for some bmw stamped coils. The same thing applies to the spark plugs as well. Save your money and don't be an idiot like the typical bmw owner.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Listen to Dackelone he knows what's he's talking about. There is an actual difference. I bought the Bosch plugs that were non oem and have been having misfires ever since. Dackelone made a thread about them showing an actual difference when the plug was cut open. When I had oem everything was fine. On ecs the price per coil is like $7 difference for oem. I would rather pay that and get oem
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
what about these ones?
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-GN10328...cm_cr_dpwidget
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
absolutely nothing

bosch makes them for BMW

There IS a difference between OE and OEM. Not just in the price.
No there isn't

Oem means original equipment manufacturer

It's literAlly impossible for there to be a difference

If the bosch coils are different, they're not the OEM.

If you have misfire issues, it's a faulty part, simple.

Ed: i even have proof

12 original coils, not one has a special BMW stamp

I'm talking the coils that ORIGINALLY came with the motor from factory

All are OEM bosch. Stamped 'Bosch Germany'

Dack, just stop the irrational
OEM hate, it's kinda weird.. Just like TRW all over again lol.

Bmw tells a company to make items for their cars.. That company is an OEM.. That OEM is allowed to sell parts straight to the market with identical specifications off the same factory line.

OEM's are multi billion dollar corporations and would NOT risk their name on selling faulty parts and risk losing future contracts due to being known for selling low quality parts for (almost literally, to them) a few extra pennies..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
No there isn't

Oem means original equipment manufacturer

It's literAlly impossible for there to be a difference

If the bosch coils are different, they're not the OEM.

If you have misfire issues, it's a faulty part, simple.

Ed: i even have proof

12 original coils, not one has a special BMW stamp

I'm talking the coils that ORIGINALLY came with the motor from factory

All are OEM bosch. Stamped 'Bosch Germany'

Dack, just stop the irrational
OEM hate, it's kinda weird.. Just like TRW all over again lol.

Bmw tells a company to make items for their cars.. That company is an OEM.. That OEM is allowed to sell parts straight to the market with identical specifications off the same factory line.

OEM's are multi billion dollar corporations and would NOT risk their name on selling faulty parts and risk losing future contracts due to being known for selling low quality parts for (almost literally, to them) a few extra pennies..

I hear what you are saying but in multiple situations i have witnessed OEM being different than OE ( in terms of quality and fitment)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I hear what you are saying but in multiple situations i have witnessed OEM being different than OE ( in terms of quality and fitment)
the thing is.. OE = original equipment

OEM = original equipment manufacturer

so that's very odd if it was like this

Things like bosch coils

TRW control arms vs BMW ///M stamped M3 ones

mahle.. whatever (sway bars? they do the pistons as well i think, but i'm pretty sure they don't sell them straight to aftermarket hah)

they're a mechanically identical product from the original manufacturer at least on the E9x/E8x.. from the same tooling with the same processes

if it was a bosch coil from BMW with a BMW logo.. and a bosch coil in the 'aftermarket' that had mechanical differences

well it doesn't make financial sense, because it means different tooling, different etc. etc.. they'd lose money selling it that way?

I'm not talking about a manufacturer with OEM capability manufacturing a coil for the N54, but the actual original equipment manufacturer, like the initialism implies.

take the delphi coils that fit the N54.. i know they are the OEM for the N20 and other motors, so the quality will still be there

but if they weren't, then it would be a risk.. delphi would still be an OEM, but not for that part, it's not original equipment.. so you wouldn't be correct in saying they were OEM coils.. simply because they may not know the exact specifications used.

Last edited by flinchy; 08-27-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
the thing is.. OE = original equipment

OEM = original equipment manifacturer

so that's very odd if it was like this

Things like bosch coils

TRW control arms vs BMW stamped M3 ones

mahle.. whatever (sway bars? they do the pistons as well i think, but i'm pretty sure they don't sell them straight to aftermarket hah)

they're a mechanically identical product from the original manufacturer at least on the E9x/E8x.

if it was a bosch coil from BMW with a BMW logo.. and a bosch coil in the 'aftermarket' that had mechanical differences

well it doesn't make financial sense, because it means different tooling, different etc. etc.. they'd lose money selling it that way?

I'm not talking about a manufacturer with OEM capability manufacturing a coil for the N54, but the actual original equipment manufacturer, like the initialism implies.
Yep i get it.
It might be that when they are manufactured to BMW (or any other big company) they go through a lot more quality checks

To me it would make the most sense that OE and OEM be 100% identical but i have seen it in couple occasions where OEM was lacking in quality or fitment.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Yep i get it.
It might be that when they are manufactured to BMW (or any other big company) they go through a lot more quality checks

To me it would make the most sense that OE and OEM be 100% identical but i have seen it in couple occasions where OEM was lacking in quality or fitment.
as far as my understanding of ISO standards (9001, but more importantly for this conversation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/TS_16949)

i mean.. in theory they COULD go above and beyond for the parts to go to BMW, but the standards are pretty high as a baseline, so it's be fractions of a percent more variance you'd think.. and you still get a parts warranty on the non-BMW OEM items as well.

a clearer differentiation for above.. you can be an OEM (like in that delphi example) and not be the OE supplier for BMW, where i'm talking about the OEM who is also the OE supplier.

if you're an OEM that holds 9001, 16949 and whatever other requirements was to put branded items out that were to not meet their defined standards.. like i said, multi billion dollar companies aren't in it to sell a few extra items, they wouldn't want to risk losing their OEM supplier contracts worth tens of millions, hundreds of millions, a pop.

so again, yeah, sure, the ISO standards once met are just the 'minimum', and the items sent out for the contract could be held to a slightly stricter standard but you could rest pretty assured that they're a pretty high minimum.
Appreciate 0