BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Question Want to install Oil & water temp gauges and oil pressure gauge

Would installing oil & water temp gauges and oil pressure gauge be pretty straight forward or super difficult? Here is the plan, what do you think? Bad or good idea?

oil temperature gauge on the line coming from the oil cooler

oil pressure gauge on the port measuring the oil temp of the oil coming from the oil pump

install a water temperature gauge on the water temp feed line to the water pump
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I would first buy the torque app for your phone or a tablet and see if the data you want is already coming out of the OBDII port. I believe water temp is and oil pressure. I am not sure about oil temperature. If the data is there, torque lets you create virtual gauges on a phone or laptop. You can use a OBDII to bluetooth adapter to get the data to your phone. No real need for old fashioned gauges in most cases. When I bought it, torque was $5. A obdII to bluetooth is more but still pretty cheap. I set up a display of simulated gauges on a tablet this way but had a problem with the mount for the tablet and decided it was too much hassle.

You can put in sensors and install real gauges but it can cause problems if something goes wrong with the sensor or the installation. There used to be a type of oil pressure gauge that involved running a little plastic tube from a fitting on the engine up to the gauge. Sometimes the plastic tube would come out of the gauge and shoot oil on your pants. Fortunately that leak was small but it could ruin your pants. If you have an un-noticed leak, it could be a big deal, even ruin an engine.
      09-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
Would installing oil & water temp gauges and oil pressure gauge be pretty straight forward or super difficult? Here is the plan, what do you think? Bad or good idea?

oil temperature gauge on the line coming from the oil cooler

oil pressure gauge on the port measuring the oil temp of the oil coming from the oil pump

install a water temperature gauge on the water temp feed line to the water pump
Oil temp and pressure:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...ing-Block.html
      11-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
2011128i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 128i

I have been thinking about adding aftermarket analog gauges. I have a place for them in mind, below the climate control cluster. How much of a PITA would it be to do something like this?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011128i View Post
I have been thinking about adding aftermarket analog gauges. I have a place for them in mind, below the climate control cluster. How much of a PITA would it be to do something like this?
This is probably your easiest option: https://machtschnell.com/ashtray-gau...series-1m.html
Appreciate 0