BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Should i paint the hood?
Yes - paint the hood and leave the vents exposed CF 28 77.78%
No - leave the hood unpainted and just clear-coat it 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

06-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Arrow Help me decide: Paint CF Hood or Leave Exposed?? [Poll]

Please read before voting! Otherwise you might not understand my reasoning.

After the accident I replaced my standard hood with a Seibon Carbon M3 style Power Dome hood. It's beautiful. BUT. I cannot decide if I want it to match the car's paint or not. So here's some pictures of it now and I'll explain how I'd paint it, if I go that route:

20170609_142554 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
135i by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20170421_125806 by Matt Steele, on Flickr\

Ok, so that's what it looks like at the moment - now I'll explain my current reasons for wanting to paint it:
  • At the very least, the hood needs a clear coat to protect the CF from yellowing, price to paint match is negligible in difference.
  • I tend to prefer a "clean" look, which I'm not sure this much exposed CF really gives.
  • If painted, it would help the resale value of the car, if it ever comes to that (unlikely).

Reasons not to paint:
  • Exposed CF is sexy.
  • I could sell the hood easily if unpainted.

If I did decide to paint it, I'd paint the whole thing to match the car EXCEPT for the recessed area around the vents, visible here:
MS7_0138 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

This way there would still be some exposed CF and it would have that clean look.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?? I'm totally stumped on what to do.
      06-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Exposed CF on entire panels on most normal cars are usually tacky. On an e82, I believe painted panels are the way to go. If I ever come to the point of replacing hood, roof, and trunk, I'm going with painted CF panels
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Kturbos
House Stark
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 & E82 128i & E36 M3

Yeah paint it. Just looks too ricey.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Completely exposed looks good, but painted with just a bit exposed would look better.

I've thought of doing something similar with my own rear diffuser, much like I did on my E46 M3.

Appreciate 3
Kturbos107.00
Esteban43592.00
      06-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I've already said what I think, but that second pic makes it look not so good. If it looks anything like that IRL, then I'd say paint it. In other pics I've seen I think it looks good with your Carbon Black paint. Kind of subtle, like you couldn't really tell for sure that it was different until you walked right up on it, and then you see the beautiful carbon fiber. Decisions, decisions. Go conservative... or not. You decide. Haha
      06-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

It's such a shame to paint over real cf.

In Australia it's a no brainer because a cf hood isn't street legal, so unless you want unnecessary police attention you need to hide it.

That exact hood is on my shopping list, but I'm thinking of wrapping it rather than painting it so it can be restored to CF if sold.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43592.00
BimmerAg425.00
      06-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

In Australia it's a no brainer because a cf hood isn't street legal, so unless you want unnecessary police attention you need to hide it.

That exact hood is on my shopping list, but I'm thinking of wrapping it rather than painting it so it can be restored to CF if sold.
Wrapping it is a great idea. You can reverse it if you want at a later date.
      06-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I'd probably go with paint it because it'd look cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Kturbos
House Stark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Completely exposed looks good, but painted with just a bit exposed would look better.

I've thought of doing something similar with my own rear diffuser, much like I did on my E46 M3.

That E46 makes me happy in all the right places.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kturbos View Post
That E46 makes me happy in all the right places.
Yes, I agree. One of the nicest looking BMWs, or any carmaker, for that matter.
      06-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
Winn.Nguyen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Beautiful M3. I love the styling of the e46.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
Kturbos
House Stark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Yes, I agree. One of the nicest looking BMWs, or any carmaker, for that matter.
Yup, when I think of an M Car, I think of the E46 M3. Perfect balance or style and performance. Such a piece or artwork.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      06-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yup, when I think of an M Car, I think of the E46 M3. Perfect balance or style and performance. Such a piece or artwork.
Perfected in Laguna Seca Blue
Appreciate 1
Kturbos107.00
      06-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Exposed CF on entire panels on most normal cars are usually tacky. On an e82, I believe painted panels are the way to go. If I ever come to the point of replacing hood, roof, and trunk, I'm going with painted CF panels
I hear you!

Quote:
Yeah paint it. Just looks too ricey.
Noted

Quote:

I love that car, and clearly everyone else does too lol

Quote:
I've already said what I think, but that second pic makes it look not so good. If it looks anything like that IRL, then I'd say paint it. In other pics I've seen I think it looks good with your Carbon Black paint. Kind of subtle, like you couldn't really tell for sure that it was different until you walked right up on it, and then you see the beautiful carbon fiber. Decisions, decisions. Go conservative... or not. You decide. Haha
It's completely dependent on the light really; in some light, it's very obvious, in other light it's more subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

I've heard this before, mostly due to concerns of decapitation right?

Quote:
Wrapping it is a great idea. You can reverse it if you want at a later date.
Would be a good idea if there was vinyl that was an exact match for clear-coated carbon black haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
I'd probably go with paint it because it'd look cleaner.
I agree it's cleaner than wrap. I'd like to wrap the whole car in ppf one day though.

Alright well judging by the landslide poll and the comments here, I think it's pretty clear what I need to do! I'm going to find a shop nearby and get to work on this. Thanks for all the input guys!
      06-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I think it's a really positive sign about the members of this forum, and I'm not 100% sure it'd be reflected in a general population - we've obviously all got a preference for the 'sleeper' look, rather than the overt 'rice' look of a CF non-matching race-hood.

Also, to elaborate on my vote for paint it - I actually think it's the CF on Blue that we're all not used to seeing. If your car were alpine white or black, we'd be more used to seeing the CF hood in natural form.
But the CF hood on a blue car reminds me of a WRX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
I've heard this before, mostly due to concerns of decapitation right?
Yeah, that's the first thing people say when you say you're considering a CF hood. It's more to do with the way Australian vehicle modification laws work.

If you're buying the cheapest CF hood from China, I'd be worried about decapitation (but there aren't any for our cars). But for us, There are two major manufacturers for CF hoods that fit the 1er (SLeK and Seibon). I'd like to think that if they're manufacturing hoods for cars for race use, they would've designed them not to kill the driver in an accident. My reason being they'd be sued, or go out of business quickly after their products killed one or two of their customers. Surely, even if they don't meet Australian standards (more on this next), there's enough economic advantage for the manufacturer to make them safe.

But the real reason they're illegal in Australia (note that road rules can differ between states, but these days they're actually pretty consistent) is because you need to have the CAR certified by an engineer after making major modifications, not the MODIFICATION.

If SLeK or Seibon could send their product to an Australian Government Lab for testing and get an Australian certification so they could sell it to Australians for street use - they probably would. But getting a ADR certification still doesn't make it legal for people to use their hoods on the street. People would have to buy the hood, install it, then have their car looked over by a certifying engineer who certifies the whole car including any other modifications, installs a mod plate, and update their registration to show they have a 'modified' car.

In Australia, modifying any panel forward of the firewall is considered a major modification. The justification is that doing so could affect pedestrian safety, crumple zones and occupant safety. (on a side note, adding a supercharger to a N/A vehicle is a major modification. Putting a Stage 3 turbo on a 1er and winding your boost up from 6psi to 30psi is only a minor modification)

This means all aftermarket bumper bars, and potentially 1M conversions are illegal in Australia too, but you have to get caught. (though I'd say it's a grey area if you use all OEM parts)

... And since the honda civic, Nissan Skyline and Subaru WRX 'rice' crowd love their carbon fiber hoods - you're likely to get pulled over in Australia - which is a slap-on-the-wrist fine but more importantly, your whole car gets inspected for roadworthyness before you can drive it again.

So if a CF hood is your only mod, no worries. But if you've got catless downpipes, aftermarket suspension or Meth - it's a going to be a royal PITA.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #16
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

It's not a Pagani, dude. Paint it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

paint, but leave the CF vents exposed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #18
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Please read before voting! Otherwise you might not understand my reasoning.

After the accident I replaced my standard hood with a Seibon Carbon M3 style Power Dome hood. It's beautiful. BUT. I cannot decide if I want it to match the car's paint or not. So here's some pictures of it now and I'll explain how I'd paint it, if I go that route:

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4209/3...f5da61c4_b.jpg[/img]20170609_142554 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4268/3...49e48d98_b.jpg[/img]135i by Matt Steele, on Flickr
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2918/3...da9e1c3e_b.jpg[/img]20170421_125806 by Matt Steele, on Flickr\

Ok, so that's what it looks like at the moment - now I'll explain my current reasons for wanting to paint it:
  • At the very least, the hood needs a clear coat to protect the CF from yellowing, price to paint match is negligible in difference.
  • I tend to prefer a "clean" look, which I'm not sure this much exposed CF really gives.
  • If painted, it would help the resale value of the car, if it ever comes to that (unlikely).

Reasons not to paint:
  • Exposed CF is sexy.
  • I could sell the hood easily if unpainted.

If I did decide to paint it, I'd paint the whole thing to match the car EXCEPT for the recessed area around the vents, visible here:
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2860/3...43ed0d2c_b.jpg[/img]MS7_0138 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

This way there would still be some exposed CF and it would have that clean look.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?? I'm totally stumped on what to do.
Btw where is this hood from? And do you notice the weight difference when driving (particularly when making turns)?
Also do you notice water getting into the vents
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

CF on "black" colors is like pinstripes on a tux. Paint the hood.
      06-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut135i View Post
Btw where is this hood from? And do you notice the weight difference when driving (particularly when making turns)?
Hood is direct from Seibon Carbon. It's hard to say if I notice the weight difference when driving, my car isn't built for track use. I just tend to replace any parts that need replacing with performance components. Goal is a very balanced daily, and eventually track car once I get something else down the road. That said, the weight savings are significant. The stock hood is an absolute cow and took 3 people to remove safely. The Seibon hood I was able to install myself with one arm holding it up, and I'm not a big dude lol.
      06-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut135i View Post
Hood is direct from Seibon Carbon. It's hard to say if I notice the weight difference when driving, my car isn't built for track use. I just tend to replace any parts that need replacing with performance components. Goal is a very balanced daily, and eventually track car once I get something else down the road. That said, the weight savings are significant. The stock hood is an absolute cow and took 3 people to remove safely. The Seibon hood I was able to install myself with one arm holding it up, and I'm not a big dude lol.
Haha I'm doing the same thing as you with my car. I was thinking instead of painting the hood I was gonna just buy this. Waiting for my hood to just keep chipping then sell it and buy this. Did you decide if you're gonna paint it? You could wrap it too
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #22
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Paint it. I plan to paint every cf piece I add to my car. Looks cleaner that way. Already a head turner don't want too much extra attention
Appreciate 0