BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-24-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT4

Epic Motorsports Tune

Sat down with my mechanic to discuss ECU tunes over the weekend. He works on a lot of track and race cars and recommended the custom tune from epic motorsports. He said it was dark better than what you can get with Cobb or JB4. Has anyone had any experience with an epic motorsports ECU tune on their 1M?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump! Bueller....Bueller....Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Epic in Miami? I haven't but am thinking about it as I sort out my upgraded turbos and looking specifically at them to tune it for track reliability vs peak power.

I move slowly but within a few months I should have some feedback, or you can help me out if you move faster.

That said for most all applications a off the shelf map will do you right, any specific goals?
      09-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ill certainly keep you updated. Please do the same for me.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep

Specific goals are obviously more power and torque while maintaining reliability. The car is a weekend getaway car that will do about 5 track days per year. Only mods are axel back Akrapovic exhaust and ER Chargepipe.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbellin View Post
Specific goals are obviously more power and torque while maintaining reliability. The car is a weekend getaway car that will do about 5 track days per year. Only mods are axel back Akrapovic exhaust and ER Chargepipe.

Thoughts?
You will probably want to unrestricted your exhaust a little as in removing some of the cats and add a FMIC, both will help w/ cooling. You can use the COBB AP platform for logging and loading custom tunes.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
You will probably want to unrestricted your exhaust a little as in removing some of the cats and add a FMIC, both will help w/ cooling. You can use the COBB AP platform for logging and loading custom tunes.
This. Despite the 'hate' that COBB's own tunes get, it's still a nice device for datalogging and uploading tune, with the added bonus of some safe, conservative tunes in the box.

I don't know anything about EPIC, but you can get a COBB Accessport and still go with an Epic tune later and use that device.
      10-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Mogge94
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, Z4M Roadster

Take a look at mhd
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogge94 View Post
Take a look at mhd
+1
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Savethestickshift
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any of you gents know a good tuner I can speak to about MHD? Im based in NYC but I can aways call.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 01:19 AM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbellin View Post
Any of you gents know a good tuner I can speak to about MHD? Im based in NYC but I can aways call.
I was seriously disappointed with Cobb off the shelf maps, and didn't have the time to perfect a custom tune by the e-tune approach. I live near AD Engineering, and they dyno tune on MHD. Andy showed me the tables available to tuners in MHD, compared to the limited tables available in Cobb, and I was convinced of the superiority. I switched to MHD with the intention of having them dyno tune the car, and also for some additional features (coolant target adjustable, idle adjustable, capable of working with aftermarket ignition systems, exhaust burble, LOL). I ended up being so impressed with the off-the-shelf maps that I haven't felt the need for a custom tune. They are leaps ahead of Cobb.

For autocross days, I blend in 100 octane fuel to obtain a 95 octane blend and run the 95 octane map for my stage with the "race" coolant target and a higher idle. The coolant target is so low that the fan runs constantly which has the added benefit of pulling air across the intercooler. My IAT's do not creep up in grid, which is awesome considering the runs are less than a minute.

Anyway, I am rambling but I can't stress enough that MHD >>>>>> Cobb. The ONLY advantage to cobb is it's lightweight device, but for less cost you can get a cheap android phone, MHD license and maps.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0