BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #23
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

[QUOTE=Immaculate;22815568]I've owned my N55 for 3 years now. Within a month I added JB4, VRSF DP, VRSF CP and the K&N panel filter. Only thing I may change is out is the charge pipe. I find mine is a little loose, but hasn't popped off and I have no boost issues.

The second year I added the VRSF 5.5" intercooler, Mishimoto catch can and MHD backend flash for JB4 when it was released. All of which I was completely satisfied with.

Immaculate - since this is almost what i have with the N55, K&N panel filter, and VRSF charge pipe; did you notice a change in engine sound when you added the intercooler? I had the panel filter and charge pipe on for a good 6 months and there was no change to the engine sound, just a smooth running, easy revving. I then added the Wagner Evo 1 intercooler and now there is an almost growl to the engine throughout the rpm range that you can almost feel in the steering wheel. I haven't put the Cobb tune on yet, just running it stock for now but the low growl/vibration has me wondering if I didn't attach a hose tight enough, but they all appear tight. So just wondering if this is an intercooler norm. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #24
Immaculate
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

[QUOTE=what have i got into;22888189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate View Post
I've owned my N55 for 3 years now. Within a month I added JB4, VRSF DP, VRSF CP and the K&N panel filter. Only thing I may change is out is the charge pipe. I find mine is a little loose, but hasn't popped off and I have no boost issues.

The second year I added the VRSF 5.5" intercooler, Mishimoto catch can and MHD backend flash for JB4 when it was released. All of which I was completely satisfied with.

Immaculate - since this is almost what i have with the N55, K&N panel filter, and VRSF charge pipe; did you notice a change in engine sound when you added the intercooler? I had the panel filter and charge pipe on for a good 6 months and there was no change to the engine sound, just a smooth running, easy revving. I then added the Wagner Evo 1 intercooler and now there is an almost growl to the engine throughout the rpm range that you can almost feel in the steering wheel. I haven't put the Cobb tune on yet, just running it stock for now but the low growl/vibration has me wondering if I didn't attach a hose tight enough, but they all appear tight. So just wondering if this is an intercooler norm. Thanks in advance.
No, I did not have any different engine noises other than hearing the turbo a little clearer. That doesn't seem like a sound changing an intercooler would make to me, but I don't know exactly what the sound you describing is, haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

Thanks. I am starting to think it's a wheel bearing. Maybe cracked when jacking up the car during the install. That's what it sounds and feels like, but I will have to jack the car back up and see how the wheels roll. Just odd that happened right after the intercooler so was trying to figure where the noise was coming from if it might have been a turbo bearing. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #26
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

After putting good tires on my car, and speaking to a few people with helical LSD's. In 20/20 hindsight, I would've done two things differently:

1) When I got my 135i there was a Supercharged E46 M3 on the market for $5k more. Now, three years later, looking at the amount I've spent on the 135i, and comparative resale on the two. I should've got the M3.

2) I should've got the more road-friendly M-Factory helical rather than the race & drift friendly clutch&plate LSD.

Also.... I'm really tempted to sell my BMS cowl filters.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #27
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
1) When I got my 135i there was a Supercharged E46 M3 on the market for $5k more. Now, three years later, looking at the amount I've spent on the 135i, and comparative resale on the two. I should've got the M3.
This all day lol... Then again, I would've ended up upgrading everything on the E46 M3 too, but it would've been a more performance oriented setup out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #28
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Arc-8's with PSS's, CF spoiler and diffuser, glossy black double slat grilles, LED angel eye bulbs, ZHP shift knob, MHD 2+, downpipe, charge pipe, oil catch can, all 10/10. I can eleaborate on any of those if requested.

7" FMIC currently 7/10. I don't think it was necessary with my stock turbo, a 5" would have probably sufficed and saved me some plastic trim. I lost a bit of spool response even running more psi. If I upgrade the turbo in the future this will probably change.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #29
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Usaf View Post
Arc-8's with PSS's, CF spoiler and diffuser, glossy black double slat grilles, LED angel eye bulbs, ZHP shift knob, MHD 2+, downpipe, charge pipe, oil catch can, all 10/10. I can eleaborate on any of those if requested.

7" FMIC currently 7/10. I don't think it was necessary with my stock turbo, a 5" would have probably sufficed and saved me some plastic trim. I lost a bit of spool response even running more psi. If I upgrade the turbo in the future this will probably change.
You're running MHD 2+ without a catless downpipe?? I assumed that was necessary
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
You're running MHD 2+ without a catless downpipe?? I assumed that was necessary
I have one, but I believe aftermarket catted is fine as well.
Appreciate 0