09-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
I'm really picky about my shifter, but I want to try this because I want that extra height. Does anyone know if I need to buy the whole kit sold by Turner: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-15...2008-2010.aspx

Or can I just get away with the part number listed in the first post?

For my N54 135i btw.

Thanks

When I had my Perf SSK installed... I did not notice any shifter height change. What you notice is a MUCH nicer more sporty shifter feel. Short throws and very positive action changing from gear to gear. At first its a little notchy... but that goes away once some miles are put on.

So for your N54, I do not think you will see any change in shifter height.

Still I would HIGHLY recommend the Perf SSK! Our csrs SHOULD HAVE come with this from day one.

You can order the Perf SSK thru any BMW dealer. You can either order the entire kit, or order it part by part. Ordering in part by part will save you some cash ~$40 or so.

You need to order: #4, #5, #6 (times four) and #7 for the SSK. Ordering the knob or boot is up to you.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...80&hg=25&fg=95
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
bluecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply Dack! I'll have to think about it, as I did want it sitting just a touch higher. It also looks like Tischer is the way to go cost wise:

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82

had some issues installing if anyone can comment, ordered p/n 25110434217, which is the short shift lever, it went in no problem, put everything back together fine, reverse fine, 1st, 3rd, 5th fine, 2nd, 4th, and 6th vibrate like hell and are unusable, the end of the lever clips the driveshaft cuz its longer than the regular lever.

pics attached, car is a 08 135
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54pete View Post
had some issues installing if anyone can comment, ordered p/n 25110434217, which is the short shift lever, it went in no problem, put everything back together fine, reverse fine, 1st, 3rd, 5th fine, 2nd, 4th, and 6th vibrate like hell and are unusable, the end of the lever clips the driveshaft cuz its longer than the regular lever.

pics attached, car is a 08 135

Did you also replace the "bearing" ie the plastic bushing that the shifter rod sits in. #4 in my RealOEM.com link above.... bmw p/n 25111220600
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did you also replace the "bearing" ie the plastic bushing that the shifter rod sits in. #4 in my RealOEM.com link above.... bmw p/n 25111220600
No, reused the original, I was under the impression it's the same part
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
No, reused the original, I was under the impression it's the same part
It is the same part, but it wears quite a bit and always should be replaced. Often times it can crack into two halfs and cause weird shifting. I would take a 2nd look in there. Its also very cheap part price wise - so there is no reason to skimp. Buy a new bearing and see how the shifter feels. Use M2o2 (cv joint) grease in the bearing and the ball of the shift lever.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It is the same part, but it wears quite a bit and always should be replaced. Often times it can crack into two halfs and cause weird shifting. I would take a 2nd look in there. Its also very cheap part price wise - so there is no reason to skimp. Buy a new bearing and see how the shifter feels. Use M2o2 (cv joint) grease in the bearing and the ball of the shift lever.
thanks, guess I'll grab one and see if it helps then, but it doesn't feel like the plastic bearing is the issue by looking at it.

attached some more pics of where its clipping the driveshaft, you can clearly see where its rubbing the bolts on the ds. looks like the whole assembly should be a little bit higher or a little bit farther back to accommodate the longer lever
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
thanks, guess I'll grab one and see if it helps then, but it doesn't feel like the plastic bearing is the issue by looking at it.

attached some more pics of where its clipping the driveshaft, you can clearly see where its rubbing the bolts on the ds. looks like the whole assembly should be a little bit higher or a little bit farther back to accommodate the longer lever
ohhh wait a minute... so your car is a N54 and the bottom of the shift lever arm is physically contacting the driveshaft. I'd say thats a problem. This might be why the Perf SSK comes with a new shifter lever saddle.

I don't know IF I have seen someone only install the shift lever on a N54. These other guys have a 1M which has the N55 trans. You might need to buy that other part(see #7 bellow) of the Perf SSK to make things right/work.

see #7...

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #31
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
ohhh wait a minute... so your car is a N54 and the bottom of the shift lever arm is physically contacting the driveshaft. I'd say thats a problem. This might be why the Perf SSK comes with a new shifter lever saddle.

I don't know IF I have seen someone only install the shift lever on a N54. These other guys have a 1M which has the N55 trans. You might need to buy that other part(see #7 bellow) of the Perf SSK to make things right/work.

see #7...

Dackel
Sorry thought I had mentioned it, I had a friend with a 335 just replace the lever on his and not the shift arm(saddle), drove that and wanted the same for mine, guess just swapping the lever doesn't work for the 1s, not looking to drop the mids and driveshaft just for a short shift, well I've got a shift lever for sale if anyone wants it
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Dackelone - you are always right on top of things - has anyone posted a DIY install on this. I have not looked at what is involved and the first post spoke of removing exhaust and drive shaft - is that the process - install pics would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone ....

Quote:
When I had my Perf SSK installed... I did not notice any shifter height change. What you notice is a MUCH nicer more sporty shifter feel. Short throws and very positive action changing from gear to gear. At first its a little notchy... but that goes away once some miles are put on.

So for your N54, I do not think you will see any change in shifter height.

Still I would HIGHLY recommend the Perf SSK! Our csrs SHOULD HAVE come with this from day one.

You can order the Perf SSK thru any BMW dealer. You can either order the entire kit, or order it part by part. Ordering in part by part will save you some cash ~$40 or so.

You need to order: #4, #5, #6 (times four) and #7 for the SSK. Ordering the knob or boot is up to you.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Ian,

Thanks so much for the links and response. This looks like a great mod!

[/I][/I][/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Here is a DIY for the BMW SSK
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257

Here is a DIY that covers the UUC kit. http://www.billswebspace.com/335UUCEvo3DIY.htm

Not much different, except for 1Ms and N55s you are just changing the lever part, not the entire linkage
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

Does the SSK primarily affect forward/backward shift movement or does left/right movement also get significantly changed?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
Does the SSK primarily affect forward/backward shift movement or does left/right movement also get significantly changed?
On my N54, with the Perf SSK, the shifter throws and side to side movement was decreased. This is why BMW also changes the saddle or carrier that the shift lever sits in.

For N55 cars(incl 1M's) your not changing this carrier... so you can only change the throws(ie make them shorter) but you won't change the side to side throws/distance.

Btw... I see you have a Porsche 944... do you have a SSK on that car? The reason why I ask is bc I used to own a 944 Turbo with an Authority(APE, also very copied by many a Porsche tuning shops) SSK, and that was one of the nicest shifters I had driven. Better than a Miata or most race cars. I think the BMW Perf SSK is right up there with the APE SSK. APE made their short shifter kit adjustable for either a 30%/50% in BOTH throws and side to side action. I think thats what made it a great SSK. That and the fact they used spherical bearings instead of plastic or delrin bushings like some of their competition at that time.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #36
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep

Funny you should ask; the 944 in my garage was the development car driven by Al at Autothority which had the original APE SSK in it when I bought it from Autothority. If you had the Stage 2 chips, you may also have had the KLR chip I had developed for the 944T I built.
I would love to get my 1M to feel the same on the shifting as my 944 but if the internal are similar to the 944, I think the gate setup in the trans will need to be polished on the shifting fingers inside the trans to make the transitions smoother (mine has hung up a few times trying to downshift into 2nd if I go too fast).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Funny you should ask; the 944 in my garage was the development car driven by Al at Autothority which had the original APE SSK in it when I bought it from Autothority. If you had the Stage 2 chips, you may also have had the KLR chip I had developed for the 944T I built.
I would love to get my 1M to feel the same on the shifting as my 944 but if the internal are similar to the 944, I think the gate setup in the trans will need to be polished on the shifting fingers inside the trans to make the transitions smoother (mine has hung up a few times trying to downshift into 2nd if I go too fast).
Hey! I have also driven that car!! That was that light silver car with the gold BBS wheels back then. I remember when you had just bought that car Scott and you were overhauling the entire drive train! What a mess that was. I remember when Al lent me that car over night... and I said right then and there I MUST buy one of those things soon. But the insurance was a killer back then, so I had to wait a few years. I also remember Al popped out the 500 HP chips and let me limp around on 340 Hp. lol

I'm David, Larry's VW dealer buddy from Tyson Corner. I used to come by and hang out there all the time around '89- 95ish. I had a white VW Corrado G60 that we did the stage I/II and III chips on. And later I had a VR6 that you guys played around with. Small world.

APE also help me rebuild my '86 951's tranny(my car was also silver) when it blew 2nd gear apart in '95. You guys machined and installed a LSD(with 917 friction discs) in it for me. I had all your APE stage II chips, test pipe and your SSK. I forget the engineer who worked up front who later went to go to work for RennTech in FL. He was also a nice guy.

Btw... I heard Al is now selling CNC machines. Those were the gold old days when Al would blow up engines on the dyno just to see where their limits were.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep

Hey, and I was the one cleaning up the mess afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hey, and I was the one cleaning up the mess afterwards.
Yea... I remember THAT quite well!!!

It's good to see you are hanging out around here. I am sure you will be of "use" to us, besides cleaning up.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Thanks for posting Ian. From the photos, it doesn't look like the height change is too noticeable. Looks like a great mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Here you go, not the best photos, but shows before(left) and after(right)
- Height
- 1st
- 2nd
This is awesome! You can basically have the ssk with the original look for about 70 bucks. Did you install it yourself and do you have to from under the car?

How much is labor to do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #42
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Also curious about amount of labor
involved. Do you really have to drop driveshaft or mid pipes? Would a dealer do this and what would they charge?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #43
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, did you tell them to just install the lever? Or did they know? I would think they would hesitate since the kit is for the n54.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #44
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Great, will give it a try. Thx
Appreciate 0