BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #111
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

I had my Alpine HI-Fi update installed today and having picked the car up I noticed I couldnt really hear the exhaust so well on the drive home. So i turned the radio off and wound down the windows.... to hear a strangely quieter than normal note.

Can they install updates without consent or do they need to tell you?
      10-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #112
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M135 View Post
I'm not 100%, but I thought if you just take your keyfob to a BMW dealer they can tell you DME version right off of that? I don't have a BT scanner, only had the CAN tool from BMS
Noop. I tried doing that. I have the print out, two pages - but no DME SW version number. There are some other SW numbers but nothing for the DME.

IF someone can tell me in which screen or folder (using the BT scan tool) where I can find the DME's SW version. ???
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #113
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marcus View Post
I had my Alpine HI-Fi update installed today and having picked the car up I noticed I couldnt really hear the exhaust so well on the drive home. So i turned the radio off and wound down the windows.... to hear a strangely quieter than normal note.

Can they install updates without consent or do they need to tell you?
Most likely your SW got updated in that process. I would ask the dealer. My (N54) exhaust got louder after the SW update though.

Btw.. here are the two new dash icons with the latest SW update. Although some say it's possible to have the latest SW without these. For most people, if they have these new icons, they have the new DME SW flash.

Name:  IMG_6599.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6598.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6593.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6594.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  100.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #114
20AE
Crimson
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6sp

I took my car in for it's first service. I was having a cold start issue with limp mode and the yellow engine light on any start up below 45 degrees outside. They told me about the recall. I read the bad reviews but thought what the heck, I'll do the update. Bad....

I have an n55 6 speed stick. They gave me an n55 dsg loaner car. The update on my car now feels like driving the loaner in non sport mode all the time. The aggressive throttle and grumbly exhaust sound are gone unless you put your foot the floor. It's as though the the first half of the gas pedal is dead now. Stopped in neutral, you can litterally floor the car and left off quick and it barely blips the throttle now. I'm pretty unhappy with the update.

On the freeway, 6th gear going 60... step down a little and nothing, a little more... nothing, around half way you start to feel a bit of acceleration, mash it all the way and give it a second and finally you feel the old power. It's terrible. It's like a turbo on/off switch at 9/10's throttle. Even rev matching is odd now due to having to figure out where the throttle actually starts to respond.

Should have listened to what I read. Anybody who hasn't gotten the update I'd say stay away, it really changes the entire personality of the car.

Only good news, BMW of Murrieta which is pretty new has a really nice staff and isn't super busy. They've got lots of loaner cars and don't charge for them like some dealerships around! Thumbs up to them

Last edited by 20AE; 01-13-2012 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #115
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20AE View Post
I took my car in for it's first service. I was having a cold start issue with limp mode and the yellow engine light on any start up below 45 degrees outside. They told me about the recall. I read the bad reviews but thought what the heck, I'll do the update. Bad....

I have an n55 6 speed stick. They gave me an n55 dsg loaner car. The update on my car now feels like driving the loaner in non sport mode all the time. The aggressive throttle and grumbly exhaust sound are gone unless you put your foot the floor. It's as though the the first half of the gas pedal is dead now. Stopped in neutral, you can litterally floor the car and left off quick and it barely blips the throttle now. I'm pretty unhappy with the update.

On the freeway, 6th gear going 60... step down a little and nothing, a little more... nothing, around half way you start to feel a bit of acceleration, mash it all the way and give it a second and finally you feel the old power. It's terrible. It's like a turbo on/off switch at 9/10's throttle. Even rev matching is odd now due to having to figure out where the throttle actually starts to respond.

Should have listened to what I read. Anybody who hasn't gotten the update I'd say stay away, it really changes the entire personality of the car.

Only good news, BMW of Murrieta which is pretty new has a really nice staff and isn't super busy. They've got lots of loaner cars and don't charge for them like some dealerships around! Thumbs up to them
This is exactly what i went through, here's my thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594712

Everything you described is EXACTLY what I went through, it's unacceptable that BMW neuters the car. If the car performed like this during my test drive i would of never bought it. However I complained and let my dealer know that i was extremely disappointed and was considering selling the car. After a few weeks they gave in and gave me the PPK free minus the labor charges.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0