BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Leeroyjkns
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

Wiring in extra set of fog lights.

Hello Everyone,

I just want to state, I looked for a post regarding my question, but came up short. If I missed it, please link it to me.

I installed an extra set of fog lights on my 128i. I just want to know the best way to wire in the 12v, and ground without running a wire all the way back to the battery in the boot.

Also, I would like to tap in to the toggle in the dash if possible, so I can have the new and existing fogs on the same switch.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

A few general points:

- Check your local V&T codes - some localities limit the number of illuminated forward bulbs to 4.

- Fogs need to be low to be effective. Ideally, they should be manually switchable out of the low beam circuit, so that you can run the fogs with no low beams (assuming you actually want them for use in fog, as opposed to just driving around with a lot of useless light dumping 30' ahead of you).

- They should automatically turn off with high beam activation, and be set up so they cannot be run in conjunction with high beams under any circumstances.

- It is best to run any auxiliary lighting off a dedicated relay. You will want to set it up so that the wiring of the relay fulfills the conditions described above. I would suggest using a fused relay so that you don't need to wire a fuse elsewhere in the circuit.

Wiring on modern cars is rarely as simple as just finding a power and a ground, at least if you want to do it right. Prefabricated harnesses are out there, but know what you're looking for before you start shopping.
      10-15-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
Leeroyjkns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
A few general points:

- Check your local V&T codes - some localities limit the number of illuminated forward bulbs to 4.

- Fogs need to be low to be effective. Ideally, they should be manually switchable out of the low beam circuit, so that you can run the fogs with no low beams (assuming you actually want them for use in fog, as opposed to just driving around with a lot of useless light dumping 30' ahead of you).

- They should automatically turn off with high beam activation, and be set up so they cannot be run in conjunction with high beams under any circumstances.

- It is best to run any auxiliary lighting off a dedicated relay. You will want to set it up so that the wiring of the relay fulfills the conditions described above. I would suggest using a fused relay so that you don't need to wire a fuse elsewhere in the circuit.

Wiring on modern cars is rarely as simple as just finding a power and a ground, at least if you want to do it right. Prefabricated harnesses are out there, but know what you're looking for before you start shopping.
Ether I didn't ask a direct enough question, or this response was intended to be passive aggressive. Thank you so much for offering these general points I didn't ask for, much less care about.

If by some round about way, this is you being helpful... Thanks! All I ask is, in the future, be helpful AND answer the question if you can.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

What exactly do you want, someone to draw you a diagram? Or maybe just come to your house and do the work for you? From the question you posed, no one has any way of know what your experience or knowledge in automotive electrics might be.

I took the time to offer you information pertinent to your question, including specific guidance on wiring. If you want free assistance from people who know more than you do, at least try not to come off sounding like you're entitled to it (you're not).
      10-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Leeroyjkns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What exactly do you want, someone to draw you a diagram? Or maybe just come to your house and do the work for you? From the question you posed, no one has any way of know what your experience or knowledge in automotive electrics might be.

I took the time to offer you information pertinent to your question, including specific guidance on wiring. If you want free assistance from people who know more than you do, at least try not to come off sounding like you're entitled to it (you're not).
There are no entitlements here. I asked very clearly and politely, where would be the best place to run 12v from? Why would you, or anyone else need my resume and credit history to answer that question?

To put this in perspective. If someone were to ask me for directions to the nearest gas station, I wouldn't ask for their proof of car insurance, a DMV printout of their driving history, explain basic traffic laws to them, then just walk away. Cheers to "pertinent" information.

Let me be ultra super specific.

Q: Did you build a dedicated harness with relay and fuse for your fog lights?
A: Yes.

Q: Are you an expert with 12v electrical systems?
A: Expert? No. Advanced? Yes.

Q: Could you have installed your fog lights without guidance from someone at 1addicts?
A: Yes, but I'm not above asking someone with more BMW electrical experience a question.

Q: Are you aware that asking any question on the internet subjects you to trolling, ridicule, people with a false sense of superiority (Dunning Kruger Effect) and unsolicited opinions?
A: Yes.

Q: Do you know about local and state ordnance regarding vehicle lighting?
A: Yes. Do I care? No.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

If you had simply stated initially that you had a functioning knowledge of vehicle electrics and a relayed harness built it would have been a lot easier to address your question.

So are you looking for a 12v source for the lights, a 12v source to trigger the relay, or both?

Wiring diagram for the switch is here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ights/BswytY85

Diagram and functional description for the FRM is here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...otwell-module/

I would think the easiest approach would be to tap the supply for one of the existing fog lights to trigger the relay, probably at or near the light itself. That puts them both in the same loop and doesn't overtax the existing wires, though it does not give you the option of selectively turning them off.

For main power, assuming it's a fused relay, you're probably best off pulling from G6430 (EDIT: at X6404, I suspect), the engine bay jump start connector, rather than vampire-tapping something smaller. It's here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-point/RW8LIXY . You could also consider the starter, but that's not as easily accessed.

Finally, there's no sense of superiority here, false or otherwise. You asked a question to which (presumably) you didn't know the answer. I answered based on what you wrote and assumptions based on what you didn't. I don't know what you know or don't unless you tell me.
      10-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Leeroyjkns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you had simply stated initially that you had a functioning knowledge of vehicle electrics and a relayed harness built it would have been a lot easier to address your question.

So are you looking for a 12v source for the lights, a 12v source to trigger the relay, or both?

Wiring diagram for the switch is here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ights/BswytY85

Diagram and functional description for the FRM is here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...otwell-module/

I would think the easiest approach would be to tap the supply for one of the existing fog lights to trigger the relay, probably at or near the light itself. That puts them both in the same loop and doesn't overtax the existing wires, though it does not give you the option of selectively turning them off.

For main power, assuming it's a fused relay, you're probably best off pulling from G6430 (EDIT: at X6404, I suspect), the engine bay jump start connector, rather than vampire-tapping something smaller. It's here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-point/RW8LIXY . You could also consider the starter, but that's not as easily accessed.

Finally, there's no sense of superiority here, false or otherwise. You asked a question to which (presumably) you didn't know the answer. I answered based on what you wrote and assumptions based on what you didn't. I don't know what you know or don't unless you tell me.
Thank you, sir. This was extremely useful and you're the wealth of knowledge I was looking for (not sarcasm)

I see your point now, and I apologize for being jumpy. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Talking

You heading into the bush or something mate?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
Leeroyjkns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
You heading into the bush or something mate?
no, lol. I live in the central valley in California, and all the ag land brings a lot of heavy fog in the morning. Setups like mine work very well for this.
Appreciate 0