BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: How old are you gonna be when you buy a 1?
Under 18 (wow!) 3 1.79%
18-22 21 12.50%
23-29 61 36.31%
30-39 57 33.93%
40-49 14 8.33%
50+ 12 7.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

08-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
Jetter2
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
My parents are cheap bastards, my dad keeps telling me I should get a toyota instead. Nobody in my family has any taste whatsoever and they all view cars as appliances that should be bought used off craigslist. I'm fortunate to have gotten myself straighten out and into a great paying job. I dont consider the car a huge expense considering I've already got a better house (and car) than my dad, and he's not too happy about it either. In fact, (funny story) he tried to "one up" me by getting some crappy used mercedes convertible that looked nice, but its in the shop just about every week. And that is coming from someone who criticizes BMWs as being unreliable. Kinda pathetic when your parents try to compete with you, instead of being proud. Oh well.

What is it you do again?

I think its sad you and your parents are competing...but then again my parents are Millionaires....
And dad drives a kia rio.

And since when did $35k become a cheap car? Insurance on that M'fer is going to deter alot..were talking waltz in, put $5k down, finance the rest...looking at $500/mo(at 0%) on a 5 year note, plus the insurance.

Looking at almost $1k a month for a car and insurance.

I can quite readily afford it but jesus-H-Christ, thats not chump change by anyones standards.

Aside from that, I live a very affluent lifestlye..really don't wanna start cutting back on anything just so I can have a new car.

Seriously looking at a nice E36/46. I'm 21, this isn't my last car, if I can tough it out another few years and let my driving record calm down, then I'm sure something newer, faster and nicer looking will come out.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Vornado, by god, I'm proud of you! And I'm not joking either. You have apparently accomplished a considerable amount at your youthful age. You already seem to be mature beyond your actual years, so you may want to consider forgiving your parents their faults if you haven't already.
Hey thanks. I don't really have any hard feelings towards them. Sometimes I'm actually glad they were cheap, makes me appreciate things I have to work for. You'll never hear that come from 18 year old whose parents bought him a brand spanking new 3-series for a first car. Not that thats necessarily always a bad thing, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetter2 View Post
What is it you do again?

I think its sad you and your parents are competing...but then again my parents are Millionaires....
And dad drives a kia rio.

And since when did $35k become a cheap car? Insurance on that M'fer is going to deter alot..were talking waltz in, put $5k down, finance the rest...looking at $500/mo(at 0%) on a 5 year note, plus the insurance.

Looking at almost $1k a month for a car and insurance.

I can quite readily afford it but jesus-H-Christ, thats not chump change by anyones standards.

Aside from that, I live a very affluent lifestyle..really don't wanna start cutting back on anything just so I can have a new car.

Seriously looking at a nice E36/46. I'm 21, this isn't my last car, if I can tough it out another few years and let my driving record calm down, then I'm sure something newer, faster and nicer looking will come out.
I'm an engineer technician and my wife is a fitness trainer. Actually I've never bought a new car before, and you're right - $35-38k isnt cheap, but I want to have something fun for a few years before I start having kids and I figure any car will be cheaper than those lil buggers. I figure it's a worthy sacrifice..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #25
Jetter2
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'm an engineer technician and my wife is a fitness trainer. Actually I've never bought a new car before, and you're right - $35-38k isnt cheap, but I want to have something fun for a few years before I start having kids and I figure any car will be cheaper than those lil buggers. I figure it's a worthy sacrifice..
Engineer Technician?

What exactly does that entail?

I'm an engineer myself, but I do all my own work...what are you an engineer of?:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #26
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

we have an age poll. we should start a salary and/or job poll.

this type of information is pure gold to the marketing types.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #27
Jetter2
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
we have an age poll. we should start a salary and/or job poll.

this type of information is pure gold to the marketing types.
Only way it will truly work is if all these kinds on here are truthful about their $35k salary..

This is a BMW forum, it will just turn into a pissing match.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #28
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

Quote:
Engineer Technician?

What exactly does that entail?

I'm an engineer myself, but I do all my own work...what are you an engineer of?:headbang:
Right now, housing and land development and operation of GPS equipment/software. I also do quite a bit of drafting in Carlson & Autocad, but thats really a drag. I much prefer the calc work and let someone else do the drafting.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I would hope that would not necessarily be the case.

I am currently 25 and will probably be 27 when/if I get the 135. I am a young professional and one of the reasons I am considering this car is for the times I am required to bring clients to lunch, etc. I'm not so sure how it would go over with some of my clients if I were to get any of the other cars on the short list.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #30
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
Quote:
Only way it will truly work is if all these kinds on here are truthful about their $35k salary..

I would hope that would not necessarily be the case.
Of course it would.

There are a lot of people that are perfectly comfortable with who they are and what they earn. There's even more who are not.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #31
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i guess it wouldn't really be appropriate-- the polls on this board show who votes what, so it really couldn't be confidential.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #32
GreenJeanzSTI
Registered
Rep
Drives:

27............i feel like i was 9 five days ago
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #33
240M3SRT
***** badass
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
I am considering this car is for the times I am required to bring clients to lunch, etc. I'm not so sure how it would go over with some of my clients if I were to get any of the other cars on the short list.
Not sure how many clients are gonna want to pile in the back of a small car with tiny rear seats but sounds like a good enough justification for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #34
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Quote:
Hey thanks. I don't really have any hard feelings towards them. Sometimes I'm actually glad they were cheap, makes me appreciate things I have to work for. You'll never hear that come from 18 year old whose parents bought him a brand spanking new 3-series for a first car. Not that thats necessarily always a bad thing, though.

Hey is that a pix of your wife underneath ur name :iono: cuz im digging it :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #35
RSH@GGY920
OnE tHiRtY fIvE EyE
Rep
Drives:

Talking

22 now, cant wait to get this thing
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #36
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
Of course it would.

There are a lot of people that are perfectly comfortable with who they are and what they earn. There's even more who are not.
I do not disagree with what you have said. My objection was that such a turn in the discussion/poll should not happen solely because this is a BMW forum. Then again, I suppose there is at least some truth in all stereotypes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #37
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
i guess it wouldn't really be appropriate-- the polls on this board show who votes what, so it really couldn't be confidential.
FWIW showing usernames on polls is optional.
Appreciate 0