BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Tire Care? ...

Without a lot of shine! My tires (4k miles) have lost the finish they had after I had it detailed in Feb, so I was wondering what folks would recommend to preserve the tire, but without the usual shine of tire dressings. Despite the shiny BSM paint and "wet" iCarbon diffuser, I don't want shiny tires.

Thanks! [FWIW, I searched, but didn't find any info really definitive.]

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

303 Aerospace Protectant. Also works good on your seats, dashboard, etc... hell, most of the interior except carpet and glass heh.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilator View Post
303 Aerospace Protectant. ...
Actually, I was looking at 303. Currently, I'm using 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium for the inside, which certainly took the squeaking out of my armrest.

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Ultima tire and Wheel works well in my experience. Just use a little and lightly buff.
Thanks! I'll take a look. At this point, for cleaning I'm trying Sonax on the wheels and AA Wheel Protectant for the brake dust. Definitely need something for the tires, they're looking kinda faded.

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

A quality citrus-based cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash) should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber or silicone residue. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year

a) Water-based silicone dressings - usually a milky-white liquid that don’t contain petroleum distillate solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time; water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers that coat and bond to offer a non-greasy, satin finish

(Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tyre Gloss or Swisswax Pneu) Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tyres from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable whereas solvent- based silicone is not.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Cleaning the tires first is a big help as stated above a product like P21S Total Auto Wash is a big help. It cleans the rubber so the dressing can do it's job really well.

If you like a little shine you can apply a very thin coating of the Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright. If you like a really matte looking tire the Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus or the 303 Aerospace Protectant would be my choice. Save 10% on these items with the coupon code 10offBMW1 if interested. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Cleaning the tires first is a big help as stated above a product like P21S Total Auto Wash is a big help. It cleans the rubber so the dressing can do it's job really well.
If you like a little shine you can apply a very thin coating of the Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright. If you like a really matte looking tire the Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus or the 303 Aerospace Protectant would be my choice. Save 10% on these items with the coupon code 10offBMW1 if interested. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Order in!

pge
Appreciate 0