BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
deebest1
hmmm...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Help on reducing brake dust on wheels.

Does anyone know where I can find a sheild or cover for the brakes. Just getting to the point where im tried of cleaning wheels every two days.
      06-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

read the thread? read the forum
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Replace them with drum brake, problem solved:-):-):-)
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
cgiibanez
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Brake Dust

If you can, replace your brake pads to ceramic pads. I changed my wife's X3 brake pads and what improvement. No more brake dust. My wife's uncle works in a brake shop and he recommended them. At first I didn't believe him, but let tell you I'm very happy with the outcome. I have not notice any difference in the cars braking performance. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to replace them on my 1. Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Ceramic pads may be harsh to the rotors and watch out, BMW may void the warranty on your rotors later on.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Ceramic pads may be harsh to the rotors and watch out, BMW may void the warranty on your rotors later on.
same thing came to mind
      06-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
odgaard
keeping cars clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...53&postcount=3
      06-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Just check out the Hawk HP line. I had them on my STi to replace the stock Brembo "dust makers" and loved them. I plan on replacing them on the 1er soon.
      06-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

weekly car washes
      06-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
weekly car washes
Not sure how much your drive your 1er but a weekly car wash will not work. My wheels are filthy after one day of easy driving let alone a week of getting no attention.
      06-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

From a performance standpoint, brake dust isn't a bad thing, it means you're losing pad instead of rotor. I can't attest to the 135i since I haven't picked it up yet in Munich, but when I was daily driving my Lotus Exige, keeping the wheels clean was a bitch! Luckily, there was a 50-50 balance jack point and I could take off 2 wheels at a time. But I'd have all 4 wheels off every 2 days for complete detailing.

They were powder coated and waxing them with a carnuba wax (like Turtle Wax Platinum series) helped make dust removal easier. I would use a detergent based wheel cleaner to remove dust if it wouldnt easily come off.

Rubbing a stripe of sillicon lubricant across the rotor will remove brake squeal after cleaning and prevent a lot of dust from building up for a few miles. It will also make the rotors shine like hell. Just be very careful not to "oil your brakes". I wouldn't want to be responsible for any accidents .

I don't think covering the calliper would be a good idea. It would make everything get hotter with no convection cooling, and it probably wouldn't prevent brake dust very well. Just detail your wheels and car obsessively when you have the time.

If you don't care about destroying your rotors, stick a really powerful neodimium magnet to your calliper and use ceramic pads. That would be cool if it worked...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

$6.97 solves your problem. The first time, you will need to use a simple contoured kitchen scrubbing sponge to get them clean. Wear rubber gloves, or your hands will look like a magnet dipped in a bucket of metal filings. If you have the energy left after that, then apply a paste or liquid car wax or wheel wax to the wheels. This will prevent the brake dust from sticking. After that, it is simply spray on, hose off a couple of times per week and you are done with this.

Simoniz Vista Wheel Cleaner - $3.99
Kitchen Countoured scrubbing sponge $1.99
Pair of rubber gloves - $.99
1/2 hour of bending and streching excercise that you need anyway.... $0.00
Looking at your clean wheels....priceless

Clean your wheels and get them up to par with Simoniz Vista Wheel Cleaner. Formulated to remove brake dust and other tough to remove road dirt and grime with ease. Simply spray on and hose of with water. Safe for all kinds of wheels and hub cap finishes including ABS plastic, clear coat, chrome, aluminum, polished, wire, OEM painted, anodized and mag. Contains 22 fl.oz.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Are you sure it is hose off? I've tried several wheel clearners, they all claimed hose off but ain't. Wheel wax probrably is the best alternative (which I used Poor Boy wheel wax from Detailed Image). It makes your wheel cleaning easier but still require some easy scrubbing and it is not hose off.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It isn't hose off if the wheels have a baked on accumulation of brake dust over several months of use. But for a regular user with wheels that have been protected with wax, to rinse off a couple of days of recent accumulation, yes - it is hose off. I also find it works well on the wheel hubs. I get in there and spray the stuff on the hubs, and swipe with a brush.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I found this from "Autoban.net". May be this is what you are looking for but I won't use it on my BMW.

Welcome GuestSign In|Create an Account
Call Us Toll Free With Questions or Orders:
1-888-484-9560
Mon - Fri, 8:30 AM - 6 PM ET Home|Customer Service|Policies|Contact Us|Links

ENTER COUPON CODE FDAY09 ON THIS PAGE AND SAVE $10 ON ANY $150 ORDER
Note that custom products may say "In-Stock" below but require additional time for production. See product page for details.

Add $61.05 more to your shopping cart to qualify for Free Shipping!

Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
Kleen Wheels Brake Dust Covers
[remove] Year/Make : 2008 BMW
Model : 3 Series (5 Spk. Dsgn.) Whl. #6768858 (Style 189)
Size : 18 inch Alloy
Part Number : 2061
$37.95 Yes $37.95

Subtotal: $37.95
Total: $37.95
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #16
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Try Wheel Wax - it makes it harder for brake dust to cling to your wheels.

Wheel Wax
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=883
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
KathyFG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 128i coupe 6MT

Wow- I am with the OP- these wheels are a real pain with the brake dust- I clean the entire car including wheels every week, but the brake dust builds up- in two days they are dirty-looking. I think I'll give the wheel wax a try, so long as it doesn't damage the wheels or anything. It doesn't, right? (Sorry, but I'm a newbie when it comes to REAL car cleaning/detailing).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Are you sure it is hose off? I've tried several wheel clearners, they all claimed hose off but ain't. Wheel wax probrably is the best alternative (which I used Poor Boy wheel wax from Detailed Image). It makes your wheel cleaning easier but still require some easy scrubbing and it is not hose off.
not hose off after 2 weeks. still leaves a little that needs wiping but wipes easy.
      06-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyFG View Post
Wow- I am with the OP- these wheels are a real pain with the brake dust- I clean the entire car including wheels every week, but the brake dust builds up- in two days they are dirty-looking. I think I'll give the wheel wax a try, so long as it doesn't damage the wheels or anything. It doesn't, right? (Sorry, but I'm a newbie when it comes to REAL car cleaning/detailing).
From our site:

Is WheelWax safe for my clear coated wheels and how is WheelWax different from other wheel polish?
Yes, WheelWax is clear coat safe and has a clear coat sealer to protect from cracking. WheelWax is not a polish, it is a cleaner and wax that is formulated with space age polymers and resins, heat resistant sealant and carnuba wax, which provides the ultimate protection for wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

I took these steps to combat brake dust.

1. Changed the OE front pads to Cool Carbon Performance Brake Pads. These have some kind of special ceramic structure that produces low dust and is quiet and vibration free while no less than equaling the performance of the OE pads. The dust that is produced is light-colored which hides very well unlike the black OE dust.
2. Wash once a week.
3. Apply WheelWax every third or fourth washings.
4. Buff with a mini MF duster like the mini California car duster whenever you feel like putting a little gloss to the wheels. Don't re-use the duster on your paint.

Here is a picture of a wheel the fourth day from its last washing. I did not use a duster or touched it in any way as I wanted to see how long it would last before looking dirty.
Attached Images

06-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #21
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Some good tips in here, I'm gonna go grab some wheel wax. My wheels are getting dirty after daily driving as well, I don't have the time to wash them every day or two so I'll go for the wax + wheel cleaner for spray on/rinse off treatments between washes every week or two.

Anyone know if these wheel products will discolor the tires? Should we be careful not to get it on the rubber? I assume it's fine, but you never know with waxes...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
rawbert54
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: sedona Reda 128i

I personally find wheel wax to be a waste of time. Its kind of a pain to apply, and in the amount of time it takes me to put it on, i could have just cleaned the rim. Even after its application, i still have to spend time wipping the rim down when its dirty, and its not really any easier than when it wasnt on the rim. save your money.

Regular carnuba wax supposedly melts off at relatively low temperatures so is completely useless on a rim. (this is not my fact, but i have read it several times elsewhere)

Im not sure how well changing the brake pads works, but if most of the black stuff on the rim is from the pad, then that is the most logical solution.
Appreciate 0