BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

So looks like my BMW needs a lotta work!

You woulda thunk it

Had it in for the airbag recall.
"no I don't want anything else done"

BUT I got recommendations for the following

1> "even though your car is low millage and not hit 100k BMW recommend an injector flush
2> "even though your car is low millage and not hit 100k BMW recommend an rear diff flush
3> The tech noticed that your air filter is slightly dirty
4> Your Spark plugs need doing

So
1, without symptoms is snakeoil, and I doubt an injector flush is gonna do sqat
2 I thought the diff's where filled for life items (meaning 100k) I'm at 82k
3 Meh - DIY
4 My plugs are worn, I know that and I'm gonna do the sparks myself anyway

Any guy's had any snakoil salesmen lately
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
You woulda thunk it

Had it in for the airbag recall.
"no I don't want anything else done"

BUT I got recommendations for the following

1> "even though your car is low millage and not hit 100k BMW recommend an injector flush
2> "even though your car is low millage and not hit 100k BMW recommend an rear diff flush
3> The tech noticed that your air filter is slightly dirty
4> Your Spark plugs need doing

So
1, without symptoms is snakeoil, and I doubt an injector flush is gonna do sqat
2 I thought the diff's where filled for life items (meaning 100k) I'm at 82k
3 Meh - DIY
4 My plugs are worn, I know that and I'm gonna do the sparks myself anyway

Any guy's had any snakoil salesmen lately
I don't blame them. They just doing what they are told. one no and they back off usually.

Only thing I would do is a diff fluid change if you never done it. I changed mines at 25k and will continue to do it every 30k miles.
Spark plugs every 37k, easy 1.5 hour job. Buy the Division M puller for easy job.
Appreciate 2
jaye9441010.00
P111563.00
      03-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Injector flush? Uh, what? What the hell dealer is this?

BMW does NOT recommend injector flush or rear diff flush.

Plugs are due at 100k miles, or 160k km on the N52.
Appreciate 2
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Haven't had this at a dealer service department lately, but last year, the Audi dealer in West Palm insisted wife's Q5 needed new tires when it didn't and actually refused to rotate them. Still haven't replaced them, there is still plenty of tread life, I wouldn't buy tires there anyway and that was the last trip to that dealer's Service department.

Other than that, last time I went into Costco, some ass was really hard selling an Executive Membership.
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

agreed,

I'm planning on doing the plugs in a short while, that puller looks neat... pry bar
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

yeah exactly what I was thinking, I've had problems with coils (2 went) so AFAIK it's done 82 on the original, no a$$ ache to check or do myself

but yes agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Injector flush? Uh, what? What the hell dealer is this?

BMW does NOT recommend injector flush or rear diff flush.

Plugs are due at 100k miles, or 160k km on the N52.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Seems to be standard practice at most shops
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I usually just ask "show me where in the factory manual it says these items need to be done"
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

My friend called about a month ago and said a shop had told her that her belt was rusty and needed to be changed, do I think the car would be able to make it to Jackson so I could look at it for her.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Rear diff should be done at 30k miles if you drive hard or 60k miles for regular service. It's a super easy drain and fill job - easier than an oil change. You can go on ECS and buy a kit. The OEM fluid is kind of pricey though.

Spark plugs are important and should be done at 37k as BMW requires. I do mine at 30k miles. A friend of mine never did it and ended up on the side of the road when he got blown coilpacks from badly worn spark plugs.

But stuff like injector flush? That's junk... just go put some Techron or other injector cleaner in the fuel tank if you're concerned.

EDIT: I see this is a off topic section... I thought it was for the M3. Please check your car's recommendation if you do not have an M3.
      03-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Sort of related, I've run into a lot of auto parts store employees who try to sell you extra crap. Brake cleaner, grease, air filters that you may or may not need. I know they're told to do it but they go overboard. I was buying some brake pads not long ago and the dude grabbed some of those anti-squeal packets and rung them up, I said oh no man I already have some at home (the big bottle of CRC), this guy straight up says "no you don't" and rings them up and bags them anyway.

I think it's their way to look like the expert. Makes them feel more like a tech and less like a warehouse employee, although I have met some that knew their shit.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

Nothing strange there. They are just recommending service, that at 80k miles, wouldn't be a bad idea. Injectors tend to go out on them sooner than conventional rail injection because of carbon build up (direct injection). I'd much rather just replace injectors, but I'm a big car guy.

On my E65, I did a TON of work on the car at 80k miles. Most of the gaskets were starting to show signs of failing, 02 sensors, pads, water pump took a sh*t, belts, etc...all pretty much standard on any car that's been driven. Some more than others. But yea, the direct injection system makes the fuel system a little high maintenance on the injector side.
      03-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I wonder why the use the word ‘flush’ and drain and refill for the diff.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

OP, it's important to understand that while your subject says "needs", BMW is actually only saying "recommend".

In the US, service shops have to be very careful when using the words need/require and recommend. For example, most shops will not say your car needs new shocks. Instead, they'll say we recommend new shocks due to moisture/leak found on the hydraulic assembly. This upsell approach is perfectly acceptable, and is one of the main concepts of a for-profit business.

However, service shops are allowed to say you need new brakes or tires if the measurements are below specs. They can also say you need a new air filter if the filter element is clearly dirty. Pretty much any part that shows indisputable damage/failure fall under the need/require category. It would be unethical for them to say you need any service or repair done without thoroughly testing the part for failure.

I'm not sure if Canada has the same consumer protection, but if you ever find a shop throwing these words around incorrectly, then US consumers are encouraged to contact the B.A.R. for an immediate investigation.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00
      03-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Belt can go rusty, if by belt...... they mean timing chain,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
My friend called about a month ago and said a shop had told her that her belt was rusty and needed to be changed, do I think the car would be able to make it to Jackson so I could look at it for her.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think if BMW is really honest, they recommend you buy a new car....

What I dont understand is why the tech was rooting around in your air filter housing when it was there for an airbag recall. How else could he have noticed a dirty filter?!? He has no business snooping around in there.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

What I dont understand is why the tech was rooting around in your air filter housing when it was there for an airbag recall. How else could he have noticed a dirty filter?!? He has no business snooping around in there.
When you don't specifically say NO to the courtesy service check, you're pretty much giving the shop the right to check for potential issues as a courtesy.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

No your right, the SA said "would recommend", not need.
I kinda did that for sarcastic "effect"

duly noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
OP, it's important to understand that while your subject says "needs", BMW is actually only saying "recommend".

In the US, service shops have to be very careful when using the words need/require and recommend. For example, most shops will not say your car needs new shocks. Instead, they'll say we recommend new shocks due to moisture/leak found on the hydraulic assembly. This upsell approach is perfectly acceptable, and is one of the main concepts of a for-profit business.

However, service shops are allowed to say you need new brakes or tires if the measurements are below specs. They can also say you need a new air filter if the filter element is clearly dirty. Pretty much any part that shows indisputable damage/failure fall under the need/require category. It would be unethical for them to say you need any service or repair done without thoroughly testing the part for failure.

I'm not sure if Canada has the same consumer protection, but if you ever find a shop throwing these words around incorrectly, then US consumers are encouraged to contact the B.A.R. for an immediate investigation.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
When you don't specifically say NO to the courtesy service check, you're pretty much giving the shop the right to check for potential issues as a courtesy.
The TS says that he said that he didnt want anything else done.

Its one of the reasons I would never visit a dealer unless the car was still in its factory warranty period.
I have only worse experience with dealers. Not only with the spannering that they do which is mediocre at best, but especially all the bullshit around it. Charging huge hourly tariffs, and still trying to get every cent out of you with methods that flirt with the meaning of scamming. (this is not only BMW btw, its pretty much every brand)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-16-2018 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #20
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Even my plugs on my last visit to replace a coil pack, the guy said, "looks worn" "would recommend" and not a "need" in the sentience.

I get the whole upsale, I'm guessing BMW client generally in dealers are open chequebook policy, "yeah just do it"

A lot of wise words in the replies from you gents,

my take on this... "other" than the injector flush, all good recommendations, but maybe not at dealership prices.

The car "has kinda" lost it's sparkle, I'm putting it down to worn plugs
and when the weather warms up a bit, I'll do them
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #21
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The TS says that he said that he didnt want anything else done.
If the work order says no courtesy check, and the tech went ahead and inspected the air filter, then OP would have the right to complain.

In the US, this is considered a minor offense per B.A.R. -- if the shop accumulates several repeat complaints, then they will be subject to investigation, and possibly have their license to operate suspended.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

They do a complimentary fluid top up.

Washer/AF/tires etc

Quote:

Appreciate 0