BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #45
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Cool, I'll try them out. Maybe they have updated their gasket design to something that works better? That'd be nice.
Alright. Now git outta here and stop highjacking my thread!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #46
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrybreadbutterhustle View Post
Ain't a hijack, I'm fighting a similar issue as you and am trying to condense info about the issue to one thread.

I'm copiloting!
Appreciate 1
SCato13.50
      10-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #47
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i xDrive

Quote:
Ain't a hijack, I'm fighting a similar issue as you and am trying to condense info about the issue to one thread.

I'm copiloting!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #48
BostonBeemah
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: AW 135i 6spd

Ive had this happen to me and a couple buddies 1ers. My easy fix has been that whenever I pull the headlight caps off for whatever reason, I take the gasket out and flip it around and at that point, the crease that was on it from the previous time has flattened out again. No leaks ever since I started doing this.
Appreciate 4
      01-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah View Post
Ive had this happen to me and a couple buddies 1ers. My easy fix has been that whenever I pull the headlight caps off for whatever reason, I take the gasket out and flip it around and at that point, the crease that was on it from the previous time has flattened out again. No leaks ever since I started doing this.
^^that's a great tip!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #50
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrybreadbutterhustle
Quote:
Cool, I'll try them out. Maybe they have updated their gasket design to something that works better? That'd be nice.
OP, are you still experiencing the reverse adaptive function on the right side? Honestly this happened to me and I had the whole assembly, ballast, module replaced and nothing brought it back as it should have been until the footwell module was replaced. Now it is my understanding that it is what actually controls the adaptive lighting and could likely be the cause to an issue with direction of the bulb/wheel relationship. Idk, food for thought. It WILL need to be coded if replaced so I hope the seller is still in contact and ready to make things truly right.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #51
Oughourj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Is there a definitive conclusion as to where the seal goes bad on our pax side headlight?

I just got the dreaded adaptive headlight malfunction, though knew it was coming due to worsening condensation. The oil cooler heating cycles theory makes perfect sense as it seems we all eventually end up with condensation in the right side headlight, even on other n54 powered cars with oil coolers.

I opened mine up without actually removing the headlight and cleared the condensation, but an unusually humid day resulted in the condensation coming right back. This did however clear the malfunction and the lights are back to working condition.

As a preventative measure, I want to replace my headlight housing before frying any pricey electronics (control unit etc.) but this doesn't seem like a permanent solution as the new and very expensive headlight will eventually have the same sealing problem.

I'm going to remove the headlight soon and try to find exactly where the seal has gone bad; whether it's the lens-to-headlight cover seal or the back cover seal (mine seems to be in good order). Will report back, any tips or additional info much appreciated was also thinking of maybe installing some kind of heat shield under the headlight as a more permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #52
Oughourj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Update:

I removed the headlight, some tips for those who want to remove theirs:
- When removing the bumper, a plastic pry bar/trim removal tool greatly helps when loosening the two tabs where the fender meets the bumper
- Unbolting the coolant tank and moving it aside, as well as complete removal of the vacuum canisters and bracket gives you a lot more room to work with.

So I opened everything up, dried it out in an air conditioned room. Don't place the headlight upside down while drying as you will get streaks from moisture condensing and falling towards the top of the headlight, ask me how I know that was NOT easy to clean as access to inside the headlight is extremely limited.

From the looks of it, the rubber seal from the headlight back cover and seal from the cornering light access cover (one on top) were both in good shape, no damage and very elastic/rubbery. The hard seal from the headlight lens to the headlight didn't show any signs of wear/tear/leaks etc.

I took the headlight to an expert, he said there is no way water is getting through the hard seal. Said it was most likely the rubber seals from the covers. The guy actually was amazed the headlight was from a used car, I must be doing something right having almost 50k miles

What I ended up doing was flipping both seals and applying some grease. This gave both covers a much tighter fit and seal once I put them back on the headlight. I also removed the control unit (bottom of headlight) and made sure no moisture got in there, bone dry. There's a small rubber seal on that unit as well which creates a seal once you slide it into the headlight, so I applied some grease on there as well despite the seal also being in perfect shape. Closed that bad boy up and put it back on the car. I decided to do the same for the driver's side headlight covers, without removing the actual headlight from the car.

So far so good. I washed the car a couple times over the last few weeks and intentionally didn't avoid the headlight, zero moisture or condensation before/during/after the wash. The most likely culprit here, imo, was the cornering light cover seal since it sits on top of the headlight. I think water pools there and slowly works its way into the headlight.

Bonus pics! First time the car has ever been this exposed and I just had to take a couple snaps.

Here you can see the placing of the oil lines down to the oil cooler. They are closest to the corner of the back cover and may be wearing out the seal over time, though mine didn't have any visible wear compared to the rest of the seal.

Poor girl :'(

Here you can see the tabs on the bumper which meet the fender, knowing what they look like definitely makes them a lot easier to remove

If you want to attempt this without removing the bumper and headlight (which you really don't need to) then both covers are easily accessible from under the hood, although the back cover is a bit of a pain to get back in correctly. There are two tabs on the bottom of the cover which insert into two slots on the headlight, just take your time and be patient with it. Additionally if you also want to have a look at your control unit or suspect there is moisture/water in there, it can be accessed through the front fender liner which isn't that difficult to remove. Best of luck!!

TL,DR:
Problem: Moisture and condensation in headlight. Leads to adaptive headlight malfunction.
Solution: Remove headlight back cover and cornering light access cover (top of headlight). Flip seals. Dry out headlight. Put covers back ensuring a good seal. Problem solved hope this saves someone from replacing their headlight/control unit, both of which are very pricey.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #53
Joshewawh
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 space grey

Hey, I have similar issues with my e92 M3. I had condensation and I resealed my headlights. I have replaced my footwell module, ballast, adaptive headlamp module and light bulbs. My left headlights just flickers and dies out. Did you recode your headlamps before you had them turn on & functioning again? My last resort is to replace my ignitor cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 05:06 AM   #54
lillywilliams921
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey guys, I did fix my adaptive headlamps on e92 328xi just replaced module responsible for it, you can check blog post for useful info

https://xenons4u.co.uk/blog/bmw-head...m-malfunction/
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 10:42 PM   #55
kustom1951
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i 6MT, 1951 Chevy

Garage List
2009 Bmw 135i  [0.00]
Hey buddy I just replaced my ballast and my adaptive headlight control module and I have both my headlights still flickering in the day they die out did you ever figure out what caused that on yours? I have a feeling that it could possibly be the silver wire going to the ballast or the black wire that plugs into the Adaptive headlight control light cover unit, the enclosure for the ahl module. Any help Is appreciated. Just to add I did add aftermarket Angel Eyes and I did disconnect them on each side to see if it would fix the flickering and it didn't. Does anyone know what that tab that you can pop off on top of the headlight is that has a few connections right there on each headlight?
Appreciate 0