BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #45
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutkins View Post
Can't remember where but on one of the documents somewhere (I think on this site - I've been looking at so much 135i stuff this last week it's unreal so can't remember) it says that the USB option will only read stuff formated with FAT, and will only read 1 / the primary partition, so I don't think you'll be able to that. Perhaps create top level folders for each of you instead...
page 25 of the complete vehicle manual, the one that got stickied a couple weeks ago - i thought the same thing when i read larryn's post. only will support the primary partition.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4301
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #46
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfiducia View Post
page 25 of the complete vehicle manual, the one that got stickied a couple weeks ago - i thought the same thing when i read larryn's post. only will support the primary partition.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4301
I already reformatted it, and simply made a folder for each of our music choices, with subfolders by artist. I also have been making playlists, which can be read as well. I really appreciated the heads up though, since I would have been bummed when I went to pick up my car, plugged the thing in, and ... nada. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #47
135-CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVO8,EVO9,E90,E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I already reformatted it, and simply made a folder for each of our music choices, with subfolders by artist. I also have been making playlists, which can be read as well. I really appreciated the heads up though, since I would have been bummed when I went to pick up my car, plugged the thing in, and ... nada. :smile:

Does it finally work on your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #48
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

USB/iPod Option + iDrive = Sex.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #49
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
(from e90post as well) Here's a few pics of what it looks like without nav (and an ipod plugged in). A USB powered drive should function exactly the same.

OK, I plugged in my iPod and the sound was fine, but the display was absent, other than 'aux'. Did I miss a step? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #50
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

My son just told me to Definitely get the $400 iPod/USB option. Oh well, I can't say no. He's always correct about these modern things.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #51
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
OK, I plugged in my iPod and the sound was fine, but the display was absent, other than 'aux'. Did I miss a step? Thanks!
Mine displays track/artist with the ipod plugged in. :iono: I can sort my genre, artist, album, and see all of those on my car's display. You can't see all of that?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #52
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i-CS View Post
Does it finally work on your car?
Sorry, no. The USB port in the car doesn't give it enough juice to spin. Others are now having the same issue with that drive. I just got a 1.8" HDD fomr newegg yesterday, which supposedly works, and the darned thing arrived non-functioning. RMAed it back to them today, and have another on the way.

The reason I wanted the HDD instead of my ipod, is that I like to use my ipod during the day, and it's both inconvenient to remove all the time, and I thought it would be oft forgotten in the car (which I forget to remove it half the time). The HDD makes sense for me, if I can get it working. there's not enough memory in a USB thumb drive for me, even those 16GB ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #53
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Mine displays track/artist with the ipod plugged in. :iono: I can sort my genre, artist, album, and see all of those on my car's display. You can't see all of that?
I have an 'original' iPod, so the newer generations may have a better interface/software - oh, well.

The sound is pure, though - far better than the 325i I just turned in...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #54
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
The reason I wanted the HDD instead of my ipod, is that I like to use my ipod during the day, and it's both inconvenient to remove all the time, and I thought it would be oft forgotten in the car (which I forget to remove it half the time). The HDD makes sense for me, if I can get it working. there's not enough memory in a USB thumb drive for me, even those 16GB ones.
I'll probably be buying an 80 GB iPod just for the car. I have a few tracks purchased from the iTunes Store I'd hate to lose access to, or else I'd just use a drive. First time DRM has really bitten me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #55
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
I'll probably be buying an 80 GB iPod just for the car. I have a few tracks purchased from the iTunes Store I'd hate to lose access to, or else I'd just use a drive. First time DRM has really bitten me.
You can always burn them and reencode them to apple lossless. If it is only a few albums, you won't lose much storage space or any quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #56
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

There's a peice of software that will convert those files to MP3s for you. I can't remember the name of it, but I've got it on my computer at home. When I get home from work I'll post it. I used it to convert my iTunes songs to MP3 so I could put them on my smartphone.

It's slow, but the result is good. It also works on WMA stuff that's got copyright protection on it. It says something about "Liberating your media" :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #57
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
You can always burn them and reencode them to apple lossless. If it is only a few albums, you won't lose much storage space or any quality.
In one of the many ways that I'm crazy, I can't do that. I know burning and ripping to lossless* would be the same as the original tracks, but it would still offend me on a deep level to have a lossless track with the quality of a 128k AAC track. Besides, an 80 GB iPod (which is sufficient for a subset of my music I'd want in my car) is cheaper than the 6FL option, so complaining about cost starts to look slightly silly.

*Ripping to lossless actually wouldn't help me, because AFAIK, the stereo can only read MP3 or AAC, not any lossless format.

Edit: Same to jeremy. The loss in quality would bug the hell out of me, even though I know through personal testing it's inaudible. Simply stripping the DRM from the tracks would be fine, as normal AAC files are supported (correct me if I'm wrong on that).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #58
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:

*Ripping to lossless actually wouldn't help me, because AFAIK, the stereo can only read MP3 or AAC, not any lossless format.
Forgot about that. 320kbps aac then...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #59
135-CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVO8,EVO9,E90,E82

Quote:
Sorry, no. The USB port in the car doesn't give it enough juice to spin. Others are now having the same issue with that drive. I just got a 1.8" HDD fomr newegg yesterday, which supposedly works, and the darned thing arrived non-functioning. RMAed it back to them today, and have another on the way.

Thanks for your feedback!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #60
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Edit: Same to jeremy. The loss in quality would bug the hell out of me, even though I know through personal testing it's inaudible. Simply stripping the DRM from the tracks would be fine, as normal AAC files are supported (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Here's the software I used. Give it a shot and see what you think. This stuff is bound to bring a lawsuit pretty quickly, so if you think you'll ever have a use for it better get it now.

http://www.doubletwist.eu/dt/Home/Index.dt
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #61
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

To anyone considering this option on their car.... it works great!

After seeing this and a few other threads I decided to bring a USB memory stick with a few mp3s with me to the dealer today so I could try it out before I placed my order.

It worked flawlessly. Interface is nice & clean and you have options to sort songs by song title, artist, album, etc. Sound quality was perfectly fine and the titles were easy to read off the head unit.

The arrow buttons on the wheel will also FF/RW so you can change the music without taking your hands off the wheel.

My CA was floored after playing with it for a couple minutes. He had no idea you could do that with USB memory keys. IMO it's definitely the way to go with this option. There's no sense dragging your ipod in and out of the car each time when you can just drop a tiny usb key in the center console and leave it there.... especially when they're so much cheaper than an Ipod and you don't need to worry about the batteries running out.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #62
bobley
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Evening!

We just took delivery of our UK spec 118D (dont ask - it's the wifes!). She specced the 6FL USB/Ipod (and compulsory 663 Professional head unit) and we've been happily using an old 2GB Nano. Its very good. I have the same system in my Mini Cooper so we're fully ipodded up.

One strange thing though. While familiarising myself with the car I was looking in the boot at the battery and toolkit when I spotted a metal frame on the floor ahead of the battery. It had a large box with a Bluetooth logo on it. Its strange because we didn't spec bluetooth (and therefore it doesn't work). I'm guessing that the Bluetooth and USB options are the same piece of kit?? Has anyone approached their dealer and got the car recoded to activate it?

Cheers

Bob
Appreciate 0