BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

Just bought Apex EC-7, 245/275 setup possible?

I just bought Apex EC7 wheels and i'm super stoked for them to come. However, Im not 100% of my tire setup but I've got a good idea of what I want and that's Michelin Pilot super sports in 245/35/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. Before I pull the trigger on these tire sizes I want to know what everyone's opinion is and if they will fit and not rub (also not cause any issue for a daily driver)

Wheel specs are: Apex EC-7
front: 18 x 8.5 et 45
rear: 18 x 9.5 et 58

The steps I will be doing to make them fit are:
1.) Dinan front camber plates, also with OEM camber Pin removed
2.) Eibach pro kit lowering springs
3.) Alignment to -2 degrees in all four corners.

--4.)-- If need be, I can get my fenders rolled professionally

Will a 245/35/18 front / 275/35/18 rear fit with these wheels and these things done or am I being way too optimistic? I want there to be no rubbing and no problems daily driving this setup, but I want the most possible rubber.

Do you guys think I will need my fenders rolled for sure or I can fit this setup without issues without a roll? Also will I need spacers in either the front or rear?

Thanks for all the responses
      06-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
What tire? 275 is not an absolute measure, some tires are wider than others. I ran a 275 RE71R on the same wheel in the rear with a little bit of rubbing on the lower brace at full compression (not something you'll ever notice) -- don't think you'll need a roll for the rear to fit this, I had plenty of room on the outside.

Not sure exactly about the front, but it will definitely work with some combination of a spacer and fender rolling (I ran an 18" ET40 wheel with a 245 tire before as well, but my fenders were rolled).
      06-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I have a set of used Dinan camber plates I've been thinking about selling. Let me know if your interested.

I believe you'll need camber plates + the M3 front control arms to get to -2 camber. Not sure if you need both + spacers or one or the other & a fender roll.
      06-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Id def be interested. Pm sent. and good point on the m3 front control arms, first thing Im gonna do is get the fenders rolled and the dinan camber plates. then Ill get an alighnment for max camber that I can get and try to fit the set up on stock suspension. Later down the road Ill look into control arms when I lower the car on eibach springs and also if I need spacers for stock ride height or later down the road ill get them
      06-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
DannyDee
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Looking at confirmation on this as well.
Just had my Apex arc 8 1 series fitment wheels arrive; Same offsets.
My research so far has led me to believe that tyres like the Hankook Rs3's will fit fine in those offsets due to running relatively narrow. Am currently running Federal 595 Rsrr's 255 in the rear on stock 261m's and they pretty much run wider than any other tyre and i'd say 275's in Federals will definitely not fit.
Looking for advice and experience from others so far with these Apex wheels and different tyre setups.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
What tire? 275 is not an absolute measure, some tires are wider than others. I ran a 275 RE71R on the same wheel in the rear with a little bit of rubbing on the lower brace at full compression (not something you'll ever notice) -- don't think you'll need a roll for the rear to fit this, I had plenty of room on the outside.

Not sure exactly about the front, but it will definitely work with some combination of a spacer and fender rolling (I ran an 18" ET40 wheel with a 245 tire before as well, but my fenders were rolled).
it would be a MPSS tire. and for the rear, if you had clearance on the outside then couldnt a small spacer help give me breathing room on the inside?

and thanks for that info about the front. Ill def look into a spacer and a fender roll. also if i lower of eibach springs, will that cause rubbing?
      06-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
it would be a MPSS tire. and for the rear, if you had clearance on the outside then couldnt a small spacer help give me breathing room on the inside?

and thanks for that info about the front. Ill def look into a spacer and a fender roll. also if i lower of eibach springs, will that cause rubbing?
Yeah, perhaps like a 2mm spacer.. I wouldn't worry about it, you can't even tell from the tire that it was rubbing, can only tell on the lift when testing it at full compression.

I don't think lowering spring should _cause_ you to rub, but it may make a rub that would exist without the spring worse (easier to rub on smaller bumps, etc).
      06-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I've tried 255/275 in RS3's with the same wheels and they fit fine with -2.1 front camber, bumper tab shaved, and all fenders rolled. With the chassis lowered about an inch with Ohlins, there was slight rubbing on the street but only on hard turns.

However, I only ran them for a short while because the steering/handling felt sloppier and less predictable at the limit mid-corner and corner-exit, although there was clearly more grip at turn-in. Also, the 275's rubbed against the fuel filler pipe but only at Laguna Seca due to the hard drop/compression at the Corkscrew. I think a 3mm or 5mm spacer with less rear toe-in and camber would fix this.

For cornering responsiveness and steering feel, I actually prefer 235 on the front 8.5" wheel and 255 on the rear 9.5" wheel. Those are my current tire sizes, and I've run my fastest laps with this setup.
Appreciate 0