BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
sredish
Private
Rep
Drives:

Premium vs. Std. - subs / wiring for aftmkt

Trying to decide on std. or the premium stereo. I'm not really interested in replacing all the speakers but I want the best factory sound, so the premium gets the nod. However, I DO plan on replacing the head unit. Anyone know if the premium unit will be easily replaceable by an aftmkt unit, as in the wiring for the subs/amp (hi-level) or would the std. stereo be easier altered?

The head unit I'm thinking of trying is a single DIN with an internal hard drive Nav, reverse camera, dvd slot, full bluetooth and ipod functionality...

If I get the std pckg, then I expect I'll end up installing an amp and small sub, but I'd much rather get the premium and not fool with anything but the HU.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Bye Bye GTI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stick with the standard audio if you are going to any changes to the system.
The premium audio has a digital bus to the trunk which makes utilizing the existing speaker wiring impossible.

Check out the post that i put up about upgrading the audio for subwoofers a few weeks ago for other info that may help you out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Up until the very end I was going standard. Then, at the 11th hour I went with the premium. I have no plans on changing the head or anything. I just wanted the best they have available and don't want to mess with stereo stuff later on.

With the changes you want to make I think it would be best to save the money and go standard. Only a cost analysis will bear that out though.