BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Unhappy Changed my spark plugs and look what I found

Changed my spark plugs today, in the hopes of solving a cylinder 5 misfire when running tuned... purchased all 6 OEM Bosch plugs (p/n ZGR6STE2) from AutohausAZ.com for ~$63 shipped (half price compared to retail), purchased a Schwaben spark plug 14mm 12 pt. socket from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055T7JNC) for $11 and followed these DIYs....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142679
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541636 - Thanks Bogart!

As soon as I removed the engine cover I found this frayed wire leading to the coilpack in cylinder 1.

Not sure what to do, but I took some electrical tape and wrapped over the wire so that it's no longer exposed. The electrical tape I used seems to be of low-quality so I'm worried about what's going to happen when the temps. go up... what do you guys think I should do? Take it to the dealer and tell them that I noticed this when replacing my plugs?

Attached Images

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Ouch. My only fear with bringing it to the dealer would be that they would blame it on you poking around in there...

I looked it up on real oem and looks like it could be 346 to replace.... I'd dealer it though.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
12'M3Freak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

That looks like a rat chewed on it. Damn!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
Ouch. My only fear with bringing it to the dealer would be that they would blame it on you poking around in there...

I looked it up on real oem and looks like it could be 346 to replace.... I'd dealer it though.
Yea that's also my fear... I think I'll still call them on Tuesday and tell them the situation and see what they'll do. I'll speak to the service manager, who knows me as a "friend" of the dealership. In the meantime, I'm hoping this eletrical tape will hold up to the high engine temps and not just melt into the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'135iFREAK View Post
That looks like a rat chewed on it. Damn!
My first thought was that some kind of animal may have chewed on it... how it would get there, I have NO idea.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

That is a high voltage wire and should not be left like that, taped or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Any ideas for a temporary solution? Electrical tape is just going to melt so I need to find something else to use for the next few days...

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
An animal chewed on it, are u serious? That looks like some kinda of electrical spark ignited the wiring somehow and left it fucked up like that. If you're still under warranty obviously take it back to them, wtf are you swapping plugs if you dont even know if that would fix you're problem...

Remove the tune, take to the dealer and tell them you were having issues with the car and one day smelled something inside the cabin, you removed the engine cover to see if anything was wrong and found that. What else is there to do or figure out, that is VERY bad...

I cant imagine how that would happen, cept for maybe a shit tune or extreme temperatures sparked the wire if perhaps it had some blowby oil gases on it..who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
An animal chewed on it, are u serious? That looks like some kinda of electrical spark ignited the wiring somehow and left it fucked up like that. If you're still under warranty obviously take it back to them, wtf are you swapping plugs if you dont even know if that would fix you're problem...

Remove the tune, take to the dealer and tell them you were having issues with the car and one day smelled something inside the cabin, you removed the engine cover to see if anything was wrong and found that. What else is there to do or figure out, that is VERY bad...

I cant imagine how that would happen, cept for maybe a shit tune or extreme temperatures sparked the wire if perhaps it had some blowby oil gases on it..who knows.
It looks like it's been chewed on... not saying that's what happened, but that was my first thought and it was immediately countered by the fact that it'd be damn near impossible for anything to get there. I think your idea of an electrical spark blowing out the wire is much more far-fetched, and I would imagine it would leave evidence in the form of a burn mark.

I'm swapping plugs because that's the first, and easiest, way to troubleshoot a misfire. Plugs > coil packs > injectors... I thought that was common knowledge. Additionally, if you're running higher than stock parameters, it's advisable to change plugs every 10-15k. I'm at 38k and was still on original plugs.

Lastly, I'm not going to bullshit the dealer and give him some crap story. I was replacing the plugs and noticed the frayed wire, that's the truth and there's nothing wrong with me poking around in my own engine and replacing my own plugs on my own dime.

Also, my "shit tune" is the Cobb AccessPort...

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
It looks like it's been chewed on... not saying that's what happened, but that was my first thought and it was immediately countered by the fact that it'd be damn near impossible for anything to get there. I think your idea of an electrical spark blowing out the wire is much more far-fetched, and I would imagine it would leave evidence in the form of a burn mark.

I'm swapping plugs because that's the first, and easiest, way to troubleshoot a misfire. Plugs > coil packs > injectors... I thought that was common knowledge. Additionally, if you're running higher than stock parameters, it's advisable to change plugs every 10-15k. I'm at 38k and was still on original plugs.

Lastly, I'm not going to bullshit the dealer and give him some crap story. I was replacing the plugs and noticed the frayed wire, that's the truth and there's nothing wrong with me poking around in my own engine and replacing my own plugs on my own dime.

Also, my "shit tune" is the Cobb AccessPort...
Ok...so then whats the question?? Take the tune off, take the car to the dealer, tell em u were dickin with ur plugs, found that, dont want your car to blow up, and have em fix it pronto. Im preeeetty damn sure thatd be covered under warranty.

Wouldnt necessarily have to be burns around the wire, if it was just a small electrical spark it could do that kind of damage without igniting everything around it. Looks like the white wire beside it is a little bubbly as well.

And to be honest man, what the hell is going to crawl up into ur engine in that TIGHT assed spot and chew your damn wire without dying horribly or you noticing somehow??? Not to mention that the other tubing and wiring around those wires is more heavy duty, probably wouldnt show any wear from a short small burn like that, whereas the thinner coilpack wires would.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Ok...so then whats the question?? Take the tune off, take the car to the dealer, tell em u were dickin with ur plugs, found that, dont want your car to blow up, and have em fix it pronto. Im preeeetty damn sure thatd be covered under warranty.

Wouldnt necessarily have to be burns around the wire, if it was just a small electrical spark it could do that kind of damage without igniting everything around it. Looks like the white wire beside it is a little bubbly as well.

And to be honest man, what the hell is going to crawl up into ur engine in that TIGHT assed spot and chew your damn wire without dying horribly or you noticing somehow??? Not to mention that the other tubing and wiring around those wires is more heavy duty, probably wouldnt show any wear from a short small burn like that, whereas the thinner coilpack wires would.
My question is what I should do, in terms of a temporary fix... I'm using electrical tape for now, but will probably go with a high-temp electrical tape or insulator until I can dealer it. I'm 100% sure the tape that's on there right now will just melt into a pile of sticky black goo if I keep it on.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Perhaps you have been driving with it like this for some time now. I would leave the tape off, drive VERY carefully and get it to the dealer asap
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Duct tape is rated at a slightly higher temperature. I'd just go to Wal-Mart or Radio Shack and pick up a wire repair kit. Definitely looks like an animal chewed that up. Dealership will probably do a "goodwill" repair, but it is definitely not their problem an animal got in there. If you are really looking to not pay anything, give your insurance company a call. It looks like there's nothing metal around for it to short out on, so I wouldn't be too worried, but at the same time I would fix it as soon as I could.
      07-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Tell them you were pouring in new oil and you spilt it.. it got inside so you took that off to clean it all off. Then you found that
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #14
bobbydm
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55 2010

Just my 2 cents (or 2 pence UK) but before you cover it in tape, duct or otherwise, take lots and lots of detailed pictures to show the garage. You don't want the tape covering up the fault, or making it harder to diagnose.

And I really think it is electrical damage, as others have mentioned, it is seriously high voltage and would explain a miss fire as the volts jump to the closet bit of metal, rather than to your spark plug!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
SCHNELL1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: twin turbo

Its defently rodent damage !! No questions. I see this at the dealership ALL the time, especially during injector recalls. Good 3M tape will be a perfeclty fine TEMP repair but at some point you should have it proplery repaired. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
jordanlt
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
Tell them you were pouring in new oil and you spilt it.. it got inside so you took that off to clean it all off. Then you found that

He should be honest and tell them the truth. If they deny his claim he can appeal it to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I don't think those are high voltage wires. The purpose of the coil is to generate the high voltage. Since the coil is mounted directly on the spark plug, the high voltage is generated there and applied directly to the spark plug. No high voltage wires needed.

I agree this looks like rodent damage. If it was caused by electrical arcing you would see burn marks. I would tape it with high temp electrical tape and show the dealer the pictures you posted so he will understand why you used the tape.

Lou
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

deff looks like a mouse chewed it. remove the tune and bring it to the dealer tell them the car didn't seem to be running right so you took a look around and noticed this. don't give them to much info.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
Duct tape is rated at a slightly higher temperature. I'd just go to Wal-Mart or Radio Shack and pick up a wire repair kit.
The electrical tape I'm using is part of one of those car electronics/wire repair kits. Pretty crap quality, so I'll be getting some 3M Scotch 33+ tape, which can withstand continuous 220º F temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
I'll tell them what I found, but I'm not going to start fabricating stories. It's my car, I changed the plugs, what's wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydm View Post
Just my 2 cents (or 2 pence UK) but before you cover it in tape, duct or otherwise, take lots and lots of detailed pictures to show the garage. You don't want the tape covering up the fault, or making it harder to diagnose.

And I really think it is electrical damage, as others have mentioned, it is seriously high voltage and would explain a miss fire as the volts jump to the closet bit of metal, rather than to your spark plug!
Yup, took plenty of pics. I've never had a misfire on that cylinder, but consistently seem to have cylinder 5 issues. Runs completely fine stock tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger16b View Post
deff looks like a mouse chewed it. remove the tune and bring it to the dealer tell them the car didn't seem to be running right so you took a look around and noticed this. don't give them to much info.
lol, first wise comment so far... no need to lie, but not quite full disclosure.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #20
whitecord
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 500whp 318ti

looks like it was a rat or rodent. i have seen it b4. many times. the can get in places you would never think. i have found them behind the inside ac vents in cars b4. dead of coarse. if it was a short of some sort that caused the wire to melt half of the sheathing wouldn't be still there.

and no that is not a warranty issue. get some good electrical tape or shrink wrap if you are good a soldering. the wire looks fine. a engine harness is not cheap nor is the labor to install it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Meecees, hate'm too peices. Bet you can see urin tracks all over under the hood. They love it under the engine cover, plenty of foam rubber to make nests of, just got to get those pesky wires outta the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
looks like it was a rat or rodent. i have seen it b4. many times. the can get in places you would never think. i have found them behind the inside ac vents in cars b4. dead of coarse. if it was a short of some sort that caused the wire to melt half of the sheathing wouldn't be still there.

and no that is not a warranty issue. get some good electrical tape or shrink wrap if you are good a soldering. the wire looks fine. a engine harness is not cheap nor is the labor to install it.
Have any recommendations? It's currently shrink wrapped in some polyolefin shrink wrap (good for up to 275ºF) and then further wrapped in some 3M Scotch 33+ tape (good for 220ºF). I'm going to take it to the dealer and see what they'll do...if they won't cover it, then I might just solder in a new wire.

Appreciate 0