BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The M Power Tour

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here got the invite and planning to go this weekend? I'm going this Sunday. Looking forward to the 25 minute test drive of the M3 and to see a M racecar up close.

run
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Yep, I'm going too.

I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun. But, there's probably not a lot of downside when someone says, "Hey, go ahead and drive this 400+ hp car on us for a while."
      06-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Definitely let us know how it goes!

I called to take my boss' invitation since he can't attend, but BMW wouldn't allow the transfer. I told them to add me to the list for the next round, but apparently it's a "random" process. Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
Yep, I'm going too.

I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun. But, there's probably not a lot of downside when someone says, "Hey, go ahead and drive this 400+ hp car on us for a while."
So true. If your appointment is for Sunday, the 2008 montego 135 w/ blk leather and blk trim is mine. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
Definitely let us know how it goes!

I called to take my boss' invitation since he can't attend, but BMW wouldn't allow the transfer. I told them to add me to the list for the next round, but apparently it's a "random" process. Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday.
That is too bad about the transfer. Maybe you should show up and just claim that your "father-in-law" unexpectedly couldn't make it?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I posted my take on the day along with some pictures in the Pictures forum.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...79#post5281079
      06-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
aarong_m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5 / 1974 BMW 2002

Yeah i was invited to the one over at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, CA. I went on Thursday at 3:30pm. They gave out snacks, "DCT expert" pin, and an black M water bottle like the ones some companies give out. It was fun and you drive alone. The DCT is way better than SMG. Have fun.

2006 BMW M5 7spd SMG/SIlverstone : 2008 BMW 135i SGM/JB2/BMS(SOLD 1/2010) : 1974 BMW 2oo2(5spd w/ 3.91LSD) : 2002 BMW M3(AW/6spd) Sold 8/07 : 2002 BMW 325i(SGM) Sold 12/07 : 1993 BMW 325i Sold 8/04
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

warning - lengthy post

Arrived at the BMW Group Designworks USA Studio located in an industrial park in Newbury Park. As I pulled in to the parking lot filled with ///Ms and 3 series, I’m surprised to see a few non BMWs (cough*Audi*cough). There was a pavilion setup in front with a M3 and a M1 racecar on display. At registration, they had me sign liability waivers and verified my ID. They handed me a black ///M label sports bottle and ///M DCT pin.

I still had time before my test drive so I looked over the racecars and the X5M and X6M. I had thought the X6M was larger than the X5M, but they appeared to be the same size when parked next to each other. I liked the look and color (Monte Carlo?) of the X5M, and although a M version of a SAV/SUV may not make sense from a motorsports standpoint, there is no denying the sales success of Porsche’s Cheyenne.

During the drivers’ briefing, we were told about the M division being made up of about 500 engineers and some marketing staff. The presenter joked about the engineers passion for their work and that if you bad mouth a ///M car they’ll come at you with a screwdriver. He said that they will not make a M for each series. He talked about the M button and encouraged us to experiment with it. They had already preprogrammed it to demonstrate the full power of the M3, but wanted us to leave the DSC button alone. He told us that the two XM vehicles were display only until the press gets to test them. He talked about their new turbo engine design that controls the flow of exhaust to eliminate turbo lag and that both had faster lap times around the Nürburgring than the last generation M3!

I was given a quick orientation of the M3 coupe controls and a map with the course. I took off with my daughter as my navigator. BMW had selected a nice combination of city streets and long sweeping roads, but the freeway portion was too short to really open up that V8. The sound of the high revving engine was unbelievable! Even my daughter thought it was great. My 135 feels faster and accelerates harder at low speed, but the M3 was really quick too. I think the suspension made me feel isolated from what the car was doing and I didn’t get the sense of speed if not for that wonderful engine howl. It feel really stable even when I bit a large dip in the road at speed. In my 135, it would have sent a hard jolt to my spine and visions of a bent rim to mind.

That DCT was quick! The shifting was set high and it was strange experiencing the shifts without actually doing them myself. I played with the M button and the paddle shifters, but I prefer the stick. I’m sure that once I get used to them, I’ll appreciate the quicker shifts from not having to reach down. By the way, it was not a 25 minute test drive. It depends on how fast you drive and for me it was over too soon.

The design studio had an open house and after the test drive I had the opportunity to speak with Chris Chapman, Director of Automotive Design. He was explaining how BMW designs change as you step back from the car while keeping the same eye level. I told him the first time washed my 135 I noticed all of the subtle lines and curves in the bodywork. I said that it made me really appreciate how beautiful is the 1 series design, but I just didn’t understand the reason for that sagging line below the door. That’s when Chris told me he designed the original 1 series and Z4 and explained some of the design ideas. I even asked about the headlights! We had a great discussion and he was very generous with his time. I enjoyed it as much as the test drive.

I have a few photos, but be sure to check out Former’s thread. He has some nice ones and I hope jzhang will post his.

run
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Photos from the event.
M1 racecar, M3 racecar, and X5M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0