BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #89
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

nice build! three things i would like to mention though.

- you should consider a half cage to pair with those bucket seats. stock style seats are design to fold down in cash your roof starts to collapse during a crash, so you don't get your head and spine crashed to bits. FYI, you wouldn't be able to pass tech in some of the events w/o a half cage.

- stiffer rear sway is not really necessary with a n54 car, at least on the e9x chassis where you can fit 265 and wheels with more offsets (wider stance). m3 rear sway takes away too much grip when you are powering out of corner IMO, even with a lsd. dunno about the spring rates on the KW, but higher spring rates might be a better solution. a lot of race cars don't even run rear sway for that particular reason.

- OTS maps are not for cars with inlets, perhaps that why you are seeing the overboost.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #90
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
nice build! three things i would like to mention though.

- you should consider a half cage to pair with those bucket seats. stock style seats are design to fold down in cash your roof starts to collapse during a crash, so you don't get your head and spine crashed to bits. FYI, you wouldn't be able to pass tech in some of the events w/o a half cage.

- stiffer rear sway is not really necessary with a n54 car, at least on the e9x chassis where you can fit 265 and wheels with more offsets (wider stance). m3 rear sway takes away too much grip when you are powering out of corner IMO, even with a lsd. dunno about the spring rates on the KW, but higher spring rates might be a better solution. a lot of race cars don't even run rear sway for that particular reason.

- OTS maps are not for cars with inlets, perhaps that why you are seeing the overboost.
Thanks! Half cage is coming soon, so I'm working on it and definitely care about safety.

re: rear sway bar -- I don't know. Everyone I talk to at the track, with race cars included, says otherwise. I'm running 12k rear springs, moving up to 14k. Car has no shortage of rear-end grip and too much understeer. We'll see how it pans out.

Interesting info on the OTS map! I didn't know. I'm sure a custom 91 tune and a custom E30 tune will work out well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #91
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Glad to hear the VRSF Race FMIC is working well on your build!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #92
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Glad to hear the VRSF Race FMIC is working well on your build!
Thanks Tiago! The inlets, downpipes, charge pipe and FMIC are all awesome. Seriously, I've never seen an intercooler perform like this...

Here's a 2nd through 4th gear pull. IAT's actually dropped during the pull and then went right back to where they were...

Last edited by berns; 01-16-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #93
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Unhook your front sway bar, all understeer goes away immediately. Actually been looking to see if there are any smaller-than-stock front bars out there.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #94
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Unhook your front sway bar, all understeer goes away immediately. Actually been looking to see if there are any smaller-than-stock front bars out there.
Not super into that idea. Going to stiffen up the rear end to try to find the right balance first. If after I have a stiffer bar and springs out back and the car still pushes, I'll play around more with the front. I'm not mad at the cars behavior right now -- it just needs tweaking. Straight out of the box, it performed well. Going to go for 265 squared when these tires burn out too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:07 AM   #95
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Your car did seem to be very snappy on power-out of corners in that video - what's your alignment look like? I wonder if a disconnected front sway with some extra rear toe-in and neg camber might be the sweet spot.

I've run without a front sway bar once at Laguna by accident and it was slightly terrifying but I did run pretty good times. Went to go look for those laptimes just now which leads me to this rant...

Harry's laptimer ruined my week.... what kind of paid (~$30) mobile app doesn't have a cloud backup feature in 2018. An S3 bucket in Amazon AWS is basically free AND every user would gladly pay the cost to store their data in the cloud. Anyhow, lost most of my lap times/data/videos from every trackday I've attended (2.5ish years worth) - I have some videos and the track_addict app syncs to the cloud so I have a few laptimes. Anyhow, sorry for the rant and threadjack but PSA: heads up if you use Harry's laptimer, manually backup your dataz.

*** I actually work in data/analytics and this just came to me... Harrys is based in the EU and they have crazy data security laws so that is probably why it won't backup (GPS data + personal data + cloud = possibly illegal in EU). UGH
      01-17-2018, 01:24 AM   #96
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I just realized I follow you on IG lol.

Keep it up man, your car is definitely goal material
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      01-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #97
frontside0815
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i FBO

Wow, your thread is the type of thread which makes you really jealous :-D.

You are almost like finished without having any more good or big mods left!

Because it seems you tried quite a few Setups: What sway bars/Spring Rates would you recommend today?

Since i am going to get an clutch type LSD, i thought about buying E92 M3 Sway bars or even bigger ones. But tbh i am not sure about the whole sway bar Topic.
ATM i drive the ST XTA with the out of the box spring rates- i propaly will try a harder spring in the rear.

I really have to make an build thread, so you would know my total Setup.

What really makes me happy is that you say the Monoballīs in the camber arm from Bimmerworld make such a big difference- i have them here and i am excited to throw them in.

Concerning the Monoballs in the front: I read somewhere that the steering gets really loose around the Zero Point and the force for steering Inputs gets so low that it is almost strange. Did you experience something like that?

I love your thread, every time i visit the Forum here i hope you have a new comment about new mods.
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      01-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #98
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
I just realized I follow you on IG lol.

Keep it up man, your car is definitely goal material
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Wow, your thread is the type of thread which makes you really jealous :-D.

You are almost like finished without having any more good or big mods left!

Because it seems you tried quite a few Setups: What sway bars/Spring Rates would you recommend today?

Since i am going to get an clutch type LSD, i thought about buying E92 M3 Sway bars or even bigger ones. But tbh i am not sure about the whole sway bar Topic.
ATM i drive the ST XTA with the out of the box spring rates- i propaly will try a harder spring in the rear.

I really have to make an build thread, so you would know my total Setup.

What really makes me happy is that you say the Monoballīs in the camber arm from Bimmerworld make such a big difference- i have them here and i am excited to throw them in.

Concerning the Monoballs in the front: I read somewhere that the steering gets really loose around the Zero Point and the force for steering Inputs gets so low that it is almost strange. Did you experience something like that?

I love your thread, every time i visit the Forum here i hope you have a new comment about new mods.
Appreciate it! While you might think I have nothing left to do, you'd be surprised by my wish list and goals for the car, ha.

As for swaybars and suspension, a lot of this stuff is not only trial and error, but preference. I think my current setup is a really good starting point, but it needs work and tuning to get where I want. For now, I'm still figuring out what sway bar and spring combination I'm going to stick with. So I'll keep updating the thread with results and impressions and go from there.

Thanks for the good words!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #99
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

You should throw some donnies with Vinny at the donut garage! Gotta rep the 135i fam on youtube, man.
      01-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #100
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
You should throw some donnies with Vinny at the donut garage! Gotta rep the 135i fam on youtube, man.
Agreed! Love seeing the 1'er and the rest of the Grip Brigade!
berns1557.00
      01-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #101
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
Had no idea so many people on here watched. Once the car is where I want it, we'll do a BBD episode, donuts and sketchiness promised..
Appreciate 2
BimmerAg425.00
dane08319.00
      01-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #102
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
Had no idea so many people on here watched. Once the car is where I want it, we'll do a BBD episode, donuts and sketchiness promised..
The day before SLB ideally, break something important
      01-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #103
berns
Captain
Rep

Man, I sure do wish I installed the M3 rear sway bar when I dropped the subframe completely for the diff and subframe bushings. What a huge bitch this was.

It's actually NOT that bad getting the stock bar out, took me maybe 3 hours and it was my first time doing this job. I wonder if my experience would have been different had I gone with a different bar, that come with more reasonable mounts and bushings. The m3 bar doesn't exactly fit that great. It's super close to the axles and arms, making it even harder to work back there, and worse, there is zero movement once the bushings are mounted to it. Getting the factory bushings on the arm properly actually took me over an hour. I had to pull the bar out of the car 3x to get them in the right place, and even then, I couldn't twist the bar by hand to get it positioned perfectly.

I decided not to change springs at this time for 2 reasons:
  1. I didn't realize how wildly bigger the E92 M3 rear bar was vs stock. I imagine this will drastically change the attitude of the car, so I didn't want to double up and add stiffer front and rear springs, and then have to work backwards to track down what change did what. I'm going to run Buttonwillow again this weekend and I'll see how it feels with this setup of E92 front and rear sway bars, 6k/12k swift springs. I can say for sure, even swaying around on the freeway, the rear feels way more connected and equally as rigid as the front. Pretty excited.
  2. I took an embarrassingly long time to finish the job yesterday, just about 10am-5:30, so I didn't have time to do the springs anyway. Or the fuel pump. Or seat adjustments. Or literally anything else. I hate cars.

Last edited by berns; 01-25-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Yeineken1297.50
      01-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #104
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Man, I sure do wish I installed the M3 rear sway bar when I dropped the subframe completely for the diff and subframe bushings. What a huge bitch this was.

It's actually NOT that bad getting the stock bar out, took me maybe 3 hours and it was my first time doing this job. I wonder if my experience would have been different had I gone with a different bar, that come with more reasonable mounts and bushings. The m3 bar doesn't exactly fit that great. It's super close to the axles and arms, making it even harder to work back there, and worse, there is zero movement once the bushings are mounted to it. Getting the factory bushings on the arm properly actually took me over an hour. I had to pull the bar out of the car 3x to get them in the right place, and even then, I couldn't twist the bar by hand to get it positioned perfectly.

1. I didn't realize how wildly bigger the E92 M3 rear bar was vs stock. I imagine this will drastically change the attitude of the car, so I didn't want to double up and add stiffer front and rear springs, and then have to work backwards to track down what change did what. I'm going to run Buttonwillow again this weekend and I'll see how it feels with this setup of E92 front and rear sway bars, 6k/12k swift springs. I can say for sure, even swaying around on the freeway, the rear feels way more connected and equally as rigid as the front. Pretty excited.
  2. I took an embarrassingly long time to finish the job yesterday, just about 10am-5:30, so I didn't have time to do the springs anyway. Or the fuel pump. Or seat adjustments. Or literally anything else. I hate cars.

You'll need ot re-learn your lines as you stiffen the rear to make the car more neutral. Turn in later and be more patient getting back on the throttle (let the rear come around rather than trying to power through the turn). At least, that has been my experience after removing my front sway (easier than adding a stiffer rear sway).

A neutral car will be faster than an under-steering car. It just takes the driver to show it in the actual lap times.

First thing you'll notice is that it no longer feels like you are dragging around the rear of the car like an anchor. The car will feel much more nimble and responsive.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #105
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:

You'll need ot re-learn your lines as you stiffen the rear to make the car more neutral. Turn in later and be more patient getting back on the throttle (let the rear come around rather than trying to power through the turn). At least, that has been my experience after removing my front sway (easier than adding a stiffer rear sway).

A neutral car will be faster than an under-steering car. It just takes the driver to show it in the actual lap times.

First thing you'll notice is that it no longer feels like you are dragging around the rear of the car like an anchor. The car will feel much more nimble and responsive.
And will oversteer like a bitch if you power on yoo early

Have fun on Phil Hill haha. My car should be back together by tomorrow so I might be able to swing Sunday assuming it's not sold out... Which days are you running?
      01-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #106
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
And will oversteer like a bitch if you power on yoo early

Have fun on Phil Hill haha. My car should be back together by tomorrow so I might be able to swing Sunday assuming it's not sold out... Which days are you running?
Signed up for both. Definitely tomorrow and maybe Sunday. Stoked for oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #107
frontside0815
Private
Rep

Hey Berns,

you already can say something about the sway bar?
There are so much different opinions on this Topic, that itīs actually really hard to decide for something...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #108
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Hey Berns,

you already can say something about the sway bar?
There are so much different opinions on this Topic, that itīs actually really hard to decide for something...

Thanks
Haven't updated, but just posted this in another sway bar thread that's going on right now. I'll leave it here to keep the build updated with my progress and thoughts. More to come. Just started custom tuning with Jake@MOTIV and installed a Fuel-It! Stage 2 bucket to start running E85 and bringing it to the track with me.

I haven't run many different setups on my car, since I built it pretty specifically off the bat. My only two test days have been at Buttonwillow CW13.

I run KW Clubsport dampers (V3, basically) and Swift springs. 6k front and 12k rear.
M3 lower arms, every bushing, mount, and bearing you can think of, for the most part.
Started out with the E92 M3 front bar and stock rear bar.
Tire setup was: 18x9" squared with 255/35 Nexen Sur4G

Rear grip was great and the car was relatively easy to power-on out of corners, which surprised me. Understeer was annoying, both turn-in, mid corner, and everywhere really. At this point, I wish I just put the stock front bar back in for comparison, but I instead opted to go for the E92 M3 rear bar, as the 1M came this way as well and the car displayed pretty awful roll. Here are some photos of cornering from that first event. Best time was 2:00.3, on fresh tires.

Lifting the front inner tire, and look at that squat.

At this point, I dropped the rear subframe again (worst idea) and installed the E92 M3 rear sway bar to match. Truthfully, I should have definitely gotten another alignment and properly set up the adjustable end link, so there is some room to play still. The front end now feels amazing. Turn-in is immediate, the grip is there with -3* up front, and mid corner wash-out is in the past. However, the rear-end is SUPER playful, and I don't have enough tire to handle it. I also think I'm in major need for damper setting adjustments.

Despite the nice front-end, I could barely get on the gas all day out of any corner, which resulted in a 2:01.5 as my best time. Over a full second slower around Buttonwillow CW13.

Both front tires are on the ground now. Roll doesn't look as severe. Not totally sure what to take away from all of this, but I feel that with some more rear grip, this will be the faster setup. So I'm going to try to run staggered, 18x9 front, 18x9.5 rear, 265 front and 275 rear.

The KW dampers have a ton of threads left. At my current ride height, the top of the tire is still below the lower perch up front. The rear has a ton of room, it seems. I did the math and it looks like I'll have to run a 10mm spacer out back to get the 9.5's out to where my 9's are, which will leave me some room to the fender edge and enough clearance inboard to avoid the fuel filler.

Ride height for reference. Car will probably come up some.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #109
berns
Captain
Rep

Here's another in-car vid from Buttonwillow CW13. Really shows off how awesome, direct, and quick the AKG shifter is.

After some studying and talking to other track friends, it looks like my sub-2 lap is in Bus Stop and obviously that last corner wasn't the cleanest... Glad I saved it though!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #110
frontside0815
Private
Rep

Nice!

Reading your impressions makes me think:
- with installing the bigger front bar it seems you lost grip on the front axle. Therefore understeering was more present?

- with installing both bars you somehow "lost" the same amount of grip on the rear axle achieving Balance again or making the car less prone to under- and more to oversteering? This resulted in a slower laptime without more tire in the rear...

Since i really donīt know how you are able to stuff that much tire in your Fender, i Need to find a Setup which works with 235/40 or 245/40 the most.

So i maybe should try staying with OEM Roll bars...
I mean in the end driving not bar at all should help you to get more grip all around and therefore make you faster (off course with more Body roll).

I know the Feeling when a car is "too hard" on the front axle, which feels nice during cornering but providing way less grip then a car with a softer Setup.
Appreciate 0