BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
rocknroll
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

New member and suspension upgrade questions

Hi everyone!

I am a new member today. I own a 2010 BMW 135i. It's the M Sport version in black with silver interior trim accents. I love the car to death. It is a blast to drive. I recently added a MHD stage 1 tune and Apex EC7 staggered wheel setup with almost the widest tires that can fit without rolling the fenders. Looks aggressive and meaning business.

Now I am looking at spending a little money on doing some suspension upgrades, but cautiously treading in this area as I want to make the best decision dollar for dollar for what I will be using the car for...which is basically just street driving a couple of days out of the week. However I am still going to be looking for that purchase to make it difficult to wipe the grin of my face because of how fantastic the car drives.

I have been looking at a few popular upgrades. In no particular order: Ohlin's R and T coilovers; M3 control arms upper and lower front; M3 rear subframe bushings; rear lower trailing arms from ECS Tuning; M3 rear guide rods;M3 rear upper link arms; rear toe control arm; Bilstein B16 coilovers.

Essentially I am trying weed out whether the Ohlins or Bilsteins are better, and if all the other M3 rear bits are necessary. However I am going to do the subframe bushings.

Would appreciate how each one of the upgrades affect the drive compared to stock. I can tell you a couple of things about the 135i I don't like and truly that is all as this is a fantastic car...I just love driving it. Anyway the first thing is the bouncy rear end just drives me nuts. I guess this is where the subframe bushing upgrade comes in. The other thing is Sport mode on this car just seems completely backwards to what the suspension should be doing. What I am feeling is in Sport mode, the car gets light in the front end. To me it should feel heavier and planted. It almost feels like the front oversteers too quickly. Feels disconnected. Is there a way to disconnect the suspension part of sport mode after a suspension updgrade? I would hate for a expensive coilover suspension ugrade to be ruined by the sport mode feature. Strange as other cars I have driven in sport mode don't have this happen. It is usually a tightening up of the suspension.

Anyhow, I would appreciate comments. So to be so long winded, but wanted to make sure my questions were complete.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      09-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Check out my build thread in my signature. I kinda have a quick summary of what everything did for the car and a short review of the car's current standing.

I really like the combination of the M3 arms, Eibach springs, and Koni shocks in my car. One of these days I want to do the Koni coilover conversion, and install some externally adjustable rear shocks.
      09-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Welcome! Post some pics when you get a chance.

To my knowledge "Sport Mode" in these cars does not make any changes to the suspension. There's nothing to change, AFAIK, other than throttle response/shifting behavior. If the front feels loose to you I'd suggest a proper front strut bar too.

The B16s are solid but the Ohlins are higher quality. M3 components will stiffen the car up a bit.
      09-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
rocknroll
Rep

Thanks

I was told by an internet shop that Ohlin's aren't the way to go for a street driving car, in that they would be too harsh. Really? I thought they had this magic valving that made the car soak up the bumps better than any other shock on the market? I'm willing to pay the premium for the best available.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I have the Ohlins R&T. They are not harsh at all on the street. That shop doesn't know what they are talking about. They are smooth & controlled. They are a great upgrade with the right springs. I got mine from Harold at HPA Shop. He knows his stuff and is on here in the vendor section.

I also added the rear subframe bushing inserts, and differential lockdown bracket to the rear. M3 control arms up front.

The loose feeling in the back end is gone. No more feeling like the back is wallowing in the corners. The ride is much more calm, controlled and composed even on bumpy roads or choppy pavement. Steering is tight and responsive.
      09-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
Anyway the first thing is the bouncy rear end just drives me nuts. I guess this is where the subframe bushing upgrade comes in.
Yes and yes. This was immediately noticeable and solved the thing I hated the most. Kind of the only thing I hated at all actually.

I did the arms up front and to be honest I didn't notice much difference, I think I did but it could be me convincing myself. I'm not sure I'd do it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I have the Ohlins R&T. They are not harsh at all on the street. That shop doesn't know what they are talking about. They are smooth & controlled. They are a great upgrade with the right springs. I got mine from Harold at HPA Shop. He knows his stuff and is on here in the vendor section.

I also added the rear subframe bushing inserts, and differential lockdown bracket to the rear. M3 control arms up front.

The loose feeling in the back end is gone. No more feeling like the back is wallowing in the corners. The ride is much more calm, controlled and composed even on bumpy roads or choppy pavement. Steering is tight and responsive.
I too have the ohlins coilovers, m3 control arms, rear subframe inserts and it made a massive improvement. I agree that the ohlins are not harsh at all, and frankly I've never been in a car that rides better. I've done suspensions in every car I've owned, and this is by far the best, controlled ride I've achieved. Harold at HPA is the man
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1540.50
      09-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
rocknroll
Rep

Thanks

Oh thanks you guys. Exactly what I was wanting to hear. I'm on my way doing the Ohlin's. I'll be buying from Turner Motorsports and do the rear subframe bushings at the same time. I think I'll hold on the M3 bits, but then again it's only roughly another $700 and the shop can do it all in one fell swoop.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
Oh thanks you guys. Exactly what I was wanting to hear. I'm on my way doing the Ohlin's. I'll be buying from Turner Motorsports and do the rear subframe bushings at the same time. I think I'll hold on the M3 bits, but then again it's only roughly another $700 and the shop can do it all in one fell swoop.
Be sure you get the right spring rates. The ohlins kit comes with their recommended springs. Personally after researching it I chose to upgrade.
      09-26-2018, 03:12 AM   #10
rocknroll
Rep

Update

Ohlins and M3 control arms it is. I will be ordering from Turner this week and hope to have it installed mid October. Got a great price of $1500 for complete install plus alignment.

I am really looking forward to the change. I only drive it a couple of times per week...if that even. Drove it today and had fun. I have it tuned to about 370 horsepower. Going to be a kick with the suspension upgrade. Shoot it drives great now with the big staggered setup. Yee ha!!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50