BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Elijah128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: White and black 128i

Exclamation Please Help

I drove about 30 miles to my friends house, drove slower than normal to get there. I parked my car and it randomly started smoking and getting worse and worse, i went to pop my hood and my hood release is completely loose and doesn’t pop my hood any to get it up. I tried removing my front grille and getting the latch open but i was unable to find a way. I drove the car .8 miles to a Oreillys, on the way my battery light comes on. They weren’t much help, just read the OBD and i got 12 codes mainly to do with voltage. I made it back to my friends house and continued to try and get my hood open, after hours of no luck i drove across the street to a shop to see if they can help. They aren’t able to do anything either so I go to start my car and it’s dead. I have my friend come and jump me (battery is in the trunk), i start to go and my abs light and other lights come on and the car starts to want to die. I barely make it back to my friends house and i still cannot get the hood open and i have no idea what would have caused any of this. Car hasn’t been driven hard lately, hasn’t really been drove a lot the past month. I detailed the car and thinking maybe i knocked something loose in the engine bay but other than that i have no idea. Any suggestions or tips to help me fixing my car are greatly appreciated.
      09-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Blown head gasket maybe? What color was the smoke?

I imagine the hood latch is a separate issue. Might be able to get to the mechanism from underneath if you pull the undertray off.
      09-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Saw this DIY on replacing the hood release cables yesterday. It also says how to manually open hood latch. Hope it helps.
      09-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Sounds like the serpentine belt is shredded due to something be driven by the belt seized.

DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!!

When our belts break, the often get sucked in through the front main seal and into the oil pickup.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Sounds like the serpentine belt is shredded due to something be driven by the belt seized.

DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!!

When our belts break, the often get sucked in through the front main seal and into the oil pickup.
This. Sounds like the alternator might not be charging properly which could be due to a slipped/shredded belt. Get that hood open and DO NOT DRIVE IT.
      09-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

My hood latch does not work either. No worries. Just remove the passenger side kidney. Grab the black cable & pull down. Takes 4 seconds tops.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Elijah128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: White and black 128i

Thanks for all the replies, got the car on a trailer and i’m getting it home now to try and get the hood up. when i went to oreilleys one of their mentions was the alternator so i’m hoping it’s just something that can be replaced with as least hassle as possible, worst possible timing in my life for all this to be happening.
Appreciate 0