BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
gtjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 135i DCT

Redline Fluids?

I have doen some searching and really cant find anyone out there that has put redline in their DCT trans. If you have can you tell me what your experiance was? I have used redlines fluids in the past on my cars but I know some cars are picky when it comes to transmissions. Also anyone out there have results with switching over to redline in the rear diff?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjosh View Post
I have doen some searching and really cant find anyone out there that has put redline in their DCT trans. If you have can you tell me what your experiance was? I have used redlines fluids in the past on my cars but I know some cars are picky when it comes to transmissions. Also anyone out there have results with switching over to redline in the rear diff?
You can put whatever gear oil you want in the rear diff. It's not anything special, just a regular open diff. You don't need to change the fluid though. It will last a really, really long time unless you're doing something really weird...like heating the diff to 800* with a blowtorch or something.

As for the DCT you can probably put aftermarket fluids in it without problems but I'd stick with the OE recommended fluid unless you have a big reason to try something else. Why are you changing it anyway? Again, it will probably outlast your ownership of the car even if you do track events.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
gtjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You can put whatever gear oil you want in the rear diff. It's not anything special, just a regular open diff. You don't need to change the fluid though. It will last a really, really long time unless you're doing something really weird...like heating the diff to 800* with a blowtorch or something.

As for the DCT you can probably put aftermarket fluids in it without problems but I'd stick with the OE recommended fluid unless you have a big reason to try something else. Why are you changing it anyway? Again, it will probably outlast your ownership of the car even if you do track events.
I got this car at 48k and have put about 20k on the car since. I have gone to the twice in it and will start doing track events in it. I really just want to make sure I put the right stuff in and change it before it needs to be changed. I dont think the car was abused before me but I am the 4th owner so who knows. I do have a maintenence plan on the car until next July so if that will cover these two items then I will gladly take it to bmw and have them do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I track the shit out of my car, have yet to change the DKG fluid and only changed my diff oil cuz I opened it up to weld it. The trans oil really doesn't see the same stress as your engine oil (which still really only needs to be changed ever 5K even with heavy track use, modern synthetics are good shit) because there's not much to contaminate it. Your engine oil, if you chose a good one, would last 100k+ miles if it wasn't for all the blowby and crap getting in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I've been using Redline oils in my 135i for years now. I have a manual trans so I have been using RL's ATF D4 in my manual trans and their 75w140 gear oil in my diff. I now am using Redline's MTL in my manual trans. I recently saw this cool video on RL...

///Drive - Dispelling Myths About Oil -- /ENGINEERED...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330260

I am a firm believer in changing ALL the fluids in my car. I first changed my diff oil at 28K kms and the diff oil was really dark and nasty. I had to use a suction pump to remove the oil oil. I first used BMW Castrol in my diff and later have changed over to Redline gear oil.

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409293

Not a whole lot of guys have changed their DCT fluid on 1Addicts. I think most guys with an e9x M3 just use the factory DCT fluid from ZF/BMW. From what I've read the trans is the same unit except for the internal valve body from M3 to 1er dct.

Another good source for automatic fluids and parts is The California Transmission Supply Company...

http://www.thectsc.com/

Dack
Appreciate 1
niceast45.00
      01-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
mmmusty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 alpine white 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I've been using Redline oils in my 135i for years now. I have a manual trans so I have been using RL's ATF D4 in my manual trans and their 75w140 gear oil in my diff. I now am using Redline's MTL in my manual trans. I recently saw this cool video on RL...

///Drive - Dispelling Myths About Oil -- /ENGINEERED...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330260

I am a firm believer in changing ALL the fluids in my car. I first changed my diff oil at 28K kms and the diff oil was really dark and nasty. I had to use a suction pump to remove the oil oil. I first used BMW Castrol in my diff and later have changed over to Redline gear oil.

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409293

Not a whole lot of guys have changed their DCT fluid on 1Addicts. I think most guys with an e9x M3 just use the factory DCT fluid from ZF/BMW. From what I've read the trans is the same unit except for the internal valve body from M3 to 1er dct.

Another good source for automatic fluids and parts is The California Transmission Supply Company...

http://www.thectsc.com/

Dack
Dack, do you recommend then a particular Oil to change the diff and transmission fluids? Sorry if redundant, but seeing as how you have experienced with different oils i was hoping you can impart some wisdom for my 128i with manual transmission. Im looking to change both diff and tranny fluid ASAP.

Thanks brother
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmusty View Post
Dack, do you recommend then a particular Oil to change the diff and transmission fluids? Sorry if redundant, but seeing as how you have experienced with different oils i was hoping you can impart some wisdom for my 128i with manual transmission. Im looking to change both diff and tranny fluid ASAP.

Thanks brother
I am currently running Redline's MTL in my manual trans and RL's 75w140 gear oil in my diff. You could also run RL's ATF-D4 in your manual trans(IF you live in a cold climate) and RL's 75w90 gear oil for the diff.

You WILL need some way(tool) to suck out the old diff fluid since BMW did not provide us for a drain plug/hole. Only a fill hole is on the diff.

I am fairly happy with MTL in my trans(its gets to about -10'C and +33'C) in Germany. Right now the MTL is kind of "stiff" for those first few shifts until the trans gets warm. With ATF-D4 is a little bit smoother(cold). The MTL is better on a warm day over the D4.

Hope this helps you out.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
mmmusty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 alpine white 128i

You WILL need some way(tool) to suck out the old diff fluid since BMW did not provide us for a drain plug/hole. Only a fill hole is on the diff.

I am fairly happy with MTL in my trans(its gets to about -10'C and +33'C) in Germany. Right now the MTL is kind of "stiff" for those first few shifts until the trans gets warm. With ATF-D4 is a little bit smoother(cold). The MTL is better on a warm day over the D4.

Hope this helps you out.

Dackel[/QUOTE]

Temperatures where I'm at rarely drop to freezing if ever (Los Angeles and global warming!) would you recommend then the MTL for warmer climates? Is there a tool you recommend to suck out the fluid from the diff? Turkey baster?

you're quite literally, always helpful and humble, thank you for that, you encourage me to post on the forums
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

MIX Redline Fluids

I believe Mixing MTL & MT-90 is common place allowing you to make a ratio that matches your local temps.
Here in Alabama I did a 50/50 mix in my MT 6sp 335. It worked great.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I use Redline 80W-140 in my rear diff, but it's an LSD. The 80W-140 has a friction modifier added and was recommended (actually, required, for warranty purposes) by the diff builder (Jim Blanton of Performance Gearing). I figure it's a solid fluid if that's what he specs.
      03-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
Booey1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i m-sport BBK 2piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmusty View Post

Hope this helps you out.

Dackel
WTF Theres no drain hole on the diff? I have a 128i
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booey1979 View Post
WTF Theres no drain hole on the diff? I have a 128i
Yep, stupid design by BMW. You just have to suck it up cupcake.

Just buy one of those fluid suction tools... it will make your life so much easier.

6MT manual transmission and differential fluid change...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=70

Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-...CG2EKSWDS03JMD

https://www.amazon.com/Silverline-91...xtraction+pump
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #13
Booey1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yep, stupid design by BMW. You just have to suck it up cupcake.

Just buy one of those fluid suction tools... it will make your life so much easier.

6MT manual transmission and differential fluid change...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=70

Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-...CG2EKSWDS03JMD

https://www.amazon.com/Silverline-91...xtraction+pump
Old thread. Yah... Used a cheapo suction pump. I’ll change again When I hit 160k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

If you want something to use on the diff without waiting to order, Autozone sells a syringe type suction gun for abt $13. Fairly well made and can be disassembled to clean it.
      12-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #15
Booey1979
Private First Class
Rep

Harbor freights have a cheapo one that I used. I threw it away lol. I’m like this is too slimy.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #16
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I got the Autozone one quite clean - certainly clean enough to say pull PS fluid or maybe even top off ATF.
      12-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
I just used both of the tools I had for my boat.

Oil extractor for inboard motors (where you wouldn't be able to get a drain pan under the motor)

Then a cheap oil hand pump which was originally for pumping gear oil into the stern drive

I've had redline MTL in my trans for a while and it's great. Gotta let the juice flow before you shift with any urgency, but once its warm it's buttery smooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Just keep in mind that anything going into your engine, diff, etc. needs to be super clean. Clean clean.

If you're the owner of a clean garage, you might be tempted to do something like clean off a tube that went into your engine to suck out oil and hang it up afterwards. Any cleaner left on that tube will get into your engine afterwards, and do damage to your next oil change (not unlike a single drop of soap on top of a sink full of dirty dishwater). And that tube can collect dust, dirt, etc. hanging up until you use it again. Also not great.

It's all small amounts of damage, sure, but it's there. When you're done with a tube, bag it, and let it go until next use. And don't wipe it down with anything more than a (clean) rag or paper towel.
Appreciate 0