BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
N.Y.X.
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i E82

VR Speed Factory prototype/beta 135i Cat Back Exhaust Sound Clips

Hello all, long time lurker here. I got the opportunity to get one of the VRSF prototype catback exhausts for my 135i. I have posted some sound clips below and will update as I can (specs, price, options, etc.). Thank you!!

Known Specs:
~2" to 3" Y Pipe Diameter
~3" Mid and Rear Axle Back Diameter
~Uses Existing Hardware/Gaskets and 1 Additional Clamp
~Different Tip options will be available

2009 135i:
VRSF DP's
VRSF FMIC
BMS Air Intakes
TIAL BOV

OEM Sound Clip w/ Above Mods:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jM...FODLlKZZtAvtN6

VRSF Sound Clip w/ Above Mods:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_1...hozEJ0vhk-NbRy

VRSF Take Off Clip/ Above Mods:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hn...61f-uVv512vBkd
Attached Images

Last edited by N.Y.X.; 10-21-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Nice, can't wait for final release!
Appreciate 1
N.Y.X.2.50
      10-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Mids look interesting.
      10-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks for posting. Can you please tell us how big the piping diameter is?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

looks good, nice to see come competition to BMR
      10-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

How's the drone? I'm so sick of drone with my Berk street/midpipe set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
N.Y.X.
Rep

I am waiting to hear back on exact specs and will answer those questions once I do.

Unfortunately, it snowed the day after and I have not "daily driven" it yet as I have a Pathfinder I drive in the snow. But will report back once we get some nice days. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #9
b3turbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 FBO 135i

Any info on pipe diameter ??
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
N.Y.X.
Rep

I am guessing it is a 2" to 3" y pipe and the rest is 3" but I asked Tiago just now.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
N.Y.X.
Rep

I have confirmed the above piping diameters!

The plan is to have different tip options and they are trying to make them adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Kind of hard to tell how loud it is in comparison to other exhausts but seems to sound somewhat mellow.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

I think it sounds pretty good. Not too loud. For someone thats want louder, it looks easy enough to cut out the muffer in mid pipe and clamp on a straight pipe. Happy to see theres still new product coming out for e82.

Also the way its set up. Its also easy for someone with single turbo to make it a single 3".
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
N.Y.X.
Rep

I updated the OP with some specifications, etc. I should be driving it this week and will let you know about drone.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #15
N.Y.X.
Rep

I don't think it is "drone-y" at all!! I should have an update soon. Thanks!~
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
vandejm
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

My experience with this system

Yes I know - you get what you pay for - I chose to purchase this system as it seemed to fit exactly what I was looking for, good flow with only a slight increase in noise. I was doing the clutch so I thought this system would be a simple install at the end of my clutch job...not the case.

Tried to install it on my '09 135i in May and found that the system does not fit the car at all. Link for reference (doubt my 1 star review will show up):
https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-3-5-n5...s-e82-e88.html

Refer to the below videos for detail explanation that was provided to VRSF. The mid-pipe muffler does not fit in the space intended. It is smashed into the heatshield above which causes the heat shield to rub against the driveshaft resulting in a wonderful howling sound if you give it more than 25% throttle. Currently am removing the system to be able to drive the car again and to see what kind of damage has been done to the driveshaft while just doing some short test runs.

EDIT - couldn't upload videos - see post on N54 Tech FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/N54t...ment&ref=notif

The muffler is also positioned right where the rear chassis brace is so know that you will not be able to re-install that if you install this system. Their suggestion that spacers could be used is a proper joke - the stock bolts are about 1" long and you'd need at least 2" spacers to drop the brace below the muffler as shown in my attached video. If I put those in I'd get hung up on every speed bump not to mention the brace would be completely ineffective even if you could install it. In my experience, it has affected the rigidity of the chassis at the rear which is bad news for a rear-drive car with a good amount of torque.

The only reason the front pipe (that connects to the downpipes) doesn't rest against the body of the car is because the mid-pipe muffler hits the heatshield which pushes the entire system down. This also makes the piping hang about a couple inches below the car which means if you're lowered, you'll be rubbing on speed bumps. The front pipe still is so close to the body of the car, it does strike the body of the car if your 1st - 2nd shift isn't perfect. A nice bang to confirm your shift.

I may keep the system on the car as the combination of howling and banging during acceleration is very intimidating to the competition and I think the ladies dig it more than burbles so maybe just send it??
After reaching out to VRSF to work through the issues with what seems to be a defective system, they've stopped responding after 2 months of weeks beyond responses and a couple of 'put in spacers in' and concluding with, we're sorry you're not satisfied with the product and we'll off you a 10% ($70?) refund - which they haven't paid and not responded in three weeks now. Quote from reputable exhaust shop is over half of the cost of the system. Completely unacceptable response that I am now sharing more widely with the community after giving them a chance to stand behind their product.

Knowing that VRSF is rebranded China crap - should I be surprised? I suppose not but fair warning to those who risk buying their garbage. In hindsight, go custom...

My goal here is to prevent others from having to go through this and ensure that it costs them a lot more than the $70 or $80 they were offering. Spread the word, make it hurt - maybe they will think twice about screwing their customers over.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #17
StevieJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandejm View Post
My experience with this system

Yes I know - you get what you pay for - I chose to purchase this system as it seemed to fit exactly what I was looking for, good flow with only a slight increase in noise. I was doing the clutch so I thought this system would be a simple install at the end of my clutch job...not the case.

Tried to install it on my '09 135i in May and found that the system does not fit the car at all. Link for reference (doubt my 1 star review will show up):
https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-3-5-n5...s-e82-e88.html

Refer to the below videos for detail explanation that was provided to VRSF. The mid-pipe muffler does not fit in the space intended. It is smashed into the heatshield above which causes the heat shield to rub against the driveshaft resulting in a wonderful howling sound if you give it more than 25% throttle. Currently am removing the system to be able to drive the car again and to see what kind of damage has been done to the driveshaft while just doing some short test runs.

EDIT - couldn't upload videos - see post on N54 Tech FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/N54t...ment&ref=notif

The muffler is also positioned right where the rear chassis brace is so know that you will not be able to re-install that if you install this system. Their suggestion that spacers could be used is a proper joke - the stock bolts are about 1" long and you'd need at least 2" spacers to drop the brace below the muffler as shown in my attached video. If I put those in I'd get hung up on every speed bump not to mention the brace would be completely ineffective even if you could install it. In my experience, it has affected the rigidity of the chassis at the rear which is bad news for a rear-drive car with a good amount of torque.

The only reason the front pipe (that connects to the downpipes) doesn't rest against the body of the car is because the mid-pipe muffler hits the heatshield which pushes the entire system down. This also makes the piping hang about a couple inches below the car which means if you're lowered, you'll be rubbing on speed bumps. The front pipe still is so close to the body of the car, it does strike the body of the car if your 1st - 2nd shift isn't perfect. A nice bang to confirm your shift.

I may keep the system on the car as the combination of howling and banging during acceleration is very intimidating to the competition and I think the ladies dig it more than burbles so maybe just send it??
After reaching out to VRSF to work through the issues with what seems to be a defective system, they've stopped responding after 2 months of weeks beyond responses and a couple of 'put in spacers in' and concluding with, we're sorry you're not satisfied with the product and we'll off you a 10% ($70?) refund - which they haven't paid and not responded in three weeks now. Quote from reputable exhaust shop is over half of the cost of the system. Completely unacceptable response that I am now sharing more widely with the community after giving them a chance to stand behind their product.

Knowing that VRSF is rebranded China crap - should I be surprised? I suppose not but fair warning to those who risk buying their garbage. In hindsight, go custom...

My goal here is to prevent others from having to go through this and ensure that it costs them a lot more than the $70 or $80 they were offering. Spread the word, make it hurt - maybe they will think twice about screwing their customers over.
Everyone who buys this has went through the same thing. I refuse to buy an bolt on aftermarket exhaust that requires cutting it up just to make it work, when VRSF is 100% aware there are fitment issues due to how large the front resonator is. They know they're fucked, and they keep selling them. I did a chargeback to get a refund since they didn't want to reply to my requests more frequently than once every week or two.

Bought an agency axle back, and happy with it. Will never purchase another VRSF piece of trash again.

Not sure how good your credit card company is with timelines, but Chase gave me a full refund, then magically the following day VRSF was concerned about my inquiry (how convenient). I told them to kick sand and if they wanted it back they can send me a prepaid label because I wasn't paying a penny for return shipping.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #18
fitzwerks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m, 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ2 View Post
Everyone who buys this has went through the same thing. I refuse to buy an bolt on aftermarket exhaust that requires cutting it up just to make it work, when VRSF is 100% aware there are fitment issues due to how large the front resonator is. They know they're fucked, and they keep selling them. I did a chargeback to get a refund since they didn't want to reply to my requests more frequently than once every week or two.

Bought an agency axle back, and happy with it. Will never purchase another VRSF piece of trash again.

Not sure how good your credit card company is with timelines, but Chase gave me a full refund, then magically the following day VRSF was concerned about my inquiry (how convenient). I told them to kick sand and if they wanted it back they can send me a prepaid label because I wasn't paying a penny for return shipping.
+1 to "Will never purchase another VRSF piece of trash again"
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #19
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
How's the drone? I'm so sick of drone with my Berk street/midpipe set up.
Dang thats what i love about my Berk Race Exhaust! It reminds me im in a race car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:07 PM   #20
white.nasty135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 135i

For those that have this 3" vrsf exhaust, it's kinda not much louder than stock. Was thinking if I was to chop out either the muffler or the big resonator and replace it with a straight pipe would it sound alright? And which Would I chop off the muffler or the resonator? Would like a little more noise but don't really want anything too obnoxious
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #21
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
Dang thats what i love about my Berk Race Exhaust! It reminds me im in a race car.
But you're literally not in a race car...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:00 AM   #22
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
But you're literally not in a race car...
Let me guess... because my cars a convertible?
Appreciate 0