BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Leaking injectors

Had my car at an Indy shop a couple weeks ago for a walnut scubbing and when they pulled the intake and plugs it was clear I have two leaking injectors. One is worse then the other.
Two weeks or so I brought the car to my local BMW dealer for the inj replacement and my SA said it smells faintly like gasoline In the cockpit and they were going to do the injectors. I previously confirmed my 2010 is covered under the extended warranty as per their website when I punched my vin # in.

I breathed a sigh of relief and went about my daily business till the call came that the job was complete. The SA calls me a couple hours later and says they couldn't do the injectors because there were no codes present. I removed the oil fill cap today and sure enough the oil stinks of gasoline. I'm not about to lose my engine due to diluted oil and their excuses are infuriating.
Question is, do all leaking injector issues throw codes? I'm thinking no but not sure so thought I ask here. I need to get this covered as it rightfully should be but without all their BS. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

fight it fight it x4 ask to speak to managers call bmw NA, have them pull the injectors and they should see signs of leaks thats bs
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      12-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

IIRC,
There are conditions that the scan has to verify (and are sent to BMW corporate). If those conditions are not met then the shop won't be reimbursed by BMW corporate, warranty claim is void.

So if they did the testing and your car passed, then odds are the injectors are not leaking and your indy was wrong.

I would say you've been told the correct info from the dealer and you've no reason to raise a fuss.

A 'fuel smell' is not indicative of a leaking injector.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
fight it fight it x4 ask to speak to managers call bmw NA, have them pull the injectors and they should see signs of leaks thats bs
I'm going to call them just trying to collect enough info for the potential battle.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
IIRC,
There are conditions that the scan has to verify (and are sent to BMW corporate). If those conditions are not met then the shop won't be reimbursed by BMW corporate, warranty claim is void.

So if they did the testing and your car passed, then odds are the injectors are not leaking and your indy was wrong.

I would say you've been told the correct info from the dealer and you've no reason to raise a fuss.

A 'fuel smell' is not indicative of a leaking injector.
there was positive evidence of leaking injectors when the shop pulled the plugs and intake, it just wasn't the oil. I saw the soaked plugs myself. The gas in the oil is what concerns me. I was going to wait some to hopefully throw a code but now I'm very concerned about the thinning oil and going to press this.

Don't think they scanned anything. They just saw there wasn't a check engine light. Not to mention, low and behold while at the dealer they said my footwell module went bad in their possession so they replaced that at no charge as a 'courtesy' like it was a huge gift to me. As it turns out it also has an extended warranty so they did me no favor at all. Just look over here not over there.
An aside, the SA quit the dealer the day after I picked up car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Don't think they scanned anything. They just saw there wasn't a check engine light. Not to mention, low and behold while at the dealer they said my footwell module went bad in their possession so they replaced that at no charge as a 'courtesy' like it was a huge gift to me. As it turns out it also has an extended warranty so they did me no favor at all. Just look over here not over there.
There is a similar program for the FRM. And the process is the same, they can't replace unless it's scanned (for one they need to know if it's an old one or new and you can't do that with out a scan).
So I'd say you're jumping to conclusions with no evidence.

Go and smell a bottle of new oil. I'll lay odds it smells just like your 'oil full of fuel'.
And smell is again not a indicator of anything.
Pull a sample and let it sit. It will separate if there really is fuel in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

And,

Quote:
Seems we have an issue finding a place on LI to get this done so I went a little further to do it. ZNM Auto in Pompton Lakes, NJ. I found them researching and boy am I glad I did. They're about a 1/2 hour N.W. of Manhattan but worth the trip. Matthew the lead man there was professional and a nice guy to boot. He took me into the bay to show me the valves both before and after and what a difference it was. On drive home I was certainly enjoying the freed up HP.

If an injector where in fact leaking you'd notice it. I can't find you mention anything remotely close. You seem to see the opposite.
Evidence I see does not match problems you've spoke of or conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Damn. Lazy tech at the dealer. Takes 5 min to get a fuel injector diag code.

BMW will absolutely not authorize injector replacement without going through the injector test plan, and getting the proper diag codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

They’re not going to just replace injectors because you said so lol

If the car is not misfiring or running rough or have a check engine light then it’s going to be difficult for you to give them a reason to do anything for you.

Also the issue with the FRM (footwell module) presents itself when you scan the car, it goes dead... so they deffinatly scanned it for codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
They’re not going to just replace injectors because you said so lol

If the car is not misfiring or running rough or have a check engine light then it’s going to be difficult for you to give them a reason to do anything for you.

Also the issue with the FRM (footwell module) presents itself when you scan the car, it goes dead... so they deffinatly scanned it for codes.
When the FRM goes, it is pretty obvious, as the power windows don't work at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:01 AM   #11
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
When the FRM goes, it is pretty obvious, as the power windows don't work at all.
They said the Windows stopped working while in their possession. I never had a problem with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Angry You need a second opinion!

Well I had the #2 injector replaced. It was responsible for misfires, and I detected it on my scanner:

Multi-system Car Diagnostic Tool BMM V2.0

I also smelled gasoline, and the exhaust spit out clouds of black smoke.

Anyone who owns a BMW should have a scanner to do the first check of potential problems. Also a second opinion is a very good idea. When it comes to anything that might cost the dealer a couple of dollars, you had better be able to argue it's the dealer's problem.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      12-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
They said the Windows stopped working while in their possession. I never had a problem with them.
Exactly, the FRM usually fries when the car is scanned. It’s not something they did wrong, it just happens... that’s why the warranty on it was extended.
Appreciate 1