BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #89
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
First thing that I will do is to take it to other dealer in town and listen to what they say. Some dealer may fix it under warranty terms. Good luck in your case.

Next nearest dealer is two hours away, and the information is carried on the vehicle data the dealerships pull up when they get ready to do service. It's not really the dealer that refused this claim, it's BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #90
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

well this sucks. maybe i will just sell all my unused car parts and wait for dinan to come out with more stuff. i don't really want my warranty voided.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #91
ploz
Banned
Rep
Drives:

You can delete the warranty codes (2D2F, etc) BEFORE going to the dealer using a BMW GT1 diagnostic tool. They are available on eBay for around $1000 and any reputable independent BMW shop will have them. If you have been getting codes in your car due to modifications or otherwise you need to REMOVE the modifications, clear the codes using a GT1, and wait for them to come back up before taking the car in. Follow this advice and you will never have a warranty problem.

If you panic and rush your car to the dealer without checking/clearing codes and without removing all modifications you are foolishly rolling the dice.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #92
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploz View Post
You can delete the warranty codes (2D2F, etc) BEFORE going to the dealer using a BMW GT1 diagnostic tool. They are available on eBay for around $1000 and any reputable independent BMW shop will have them. If you have been getting codes in your car due to modifications or otherwise you need to REMOVE the modifications, clear the codes using a GT1, and wait for them to come back up before taking the car in. Follow this advice and you will never have a warranty problem.

Your first post was this?
      12-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #93
ploz
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Your first post was this?
Never had reason to post before. You don't think it is good information? To remove modifications and eliminate them as the cause of the code before wasting the dealers time? Also deleting detection codes ahead of time so the dealer doesn't screw you? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #94
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Never had reason to post before. You don't think it is good information? To remove modifications and eliminate them as the cause of the code before wasting the dealers time? Also deleting detection codes ahead of time so the dealer doesn't screw you? :iono:
Must be a case of screw or be screwed?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #95
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
well this sucks. maybe i will just sell all my unused car parts and wait for dinan to come out with more stuff. i don't really want my warranty voided.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #96
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

So it's not fair for BMW to screw a customer but it's fine for customers to screw BMW??

How does that work?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #97
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
So it's not fair for BMW to screw a customer but it's fine for customers to screw BMW??

How does that work?
welcome to america..LOL.. im teasing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I really don't see the point in getting all over him about bringing his car in with the mods on it.....I've seen thread after thread of "fanboys" bragging about how great their mods are and how they brought their car in to the dealer with this mod and that mod and they didn't have any trouble! Well guess what......mark my words......we're going to be seeing a LOT more threads like this in the future, at least those who man up and report it to try and help out others like the OP did. Two things I see in this post:

1. The mods probably didn't cause the fuel pump to go, it's a common issue with the N54. That being said, I can see BMWs stance on it from their side as well. I would just hope they could do something for him considering all of the problems others have had with the fuel pump.

2. The manipulation code was set in the system already. Horse is out of the barn, and guess what guys, it probably is out of the barn for you too next time you go in. Whether or not you pull the mods off, sooner or later BMW is going to say F you, the code is there, you modded the car, we're not paying for your whateverisbroken.
i 2nd that... a very similar situation happend to me with my SRT. Dodge told me i was dead to them..LOL

Wanna play gotta pay $$
      12-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #98
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
Wanna play gotta pay $$
Amen, brotha!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #99
Bahraini135
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Packaged 135i

Garage List
what about if you remove all the mods and pay to fix the problem and also do a full check up to the car at the dealer, will that help give you back your warranty?

I mean, the car will have nothing wrong then and would be in stock form!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #100
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini135 View Post
what about if you remove all the mods and pay to fix the problem and also do a full check up to the car at the dealer, will that help give you back your warranty?

I mean, the car will have nothing wrong then and would be in stock form!

BMW is looking for an "out" on the warranty, and I gave them one. They're not going to give it back. Once they know the car has hada tuner on it, they're not going to honor the warranty, even if it is their problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #101
IN54NE
Private
Rep
Drives: .

If people just stick with the basic boltons (intake, catted downpipes, catless midpipes, exhaust)I don't think there would be much problem at all. If they find out you touched the ecu, its game over though. They don't know you wasn't running 18+psi or something ridiculous, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #102
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post

How does that work?
Because the issue at hand with the OPs car has nothing to do with the mods he has on them. Just because you do something to a car does not mean the whole warranty should be voided. If the mod caused the issues then I think it is wrong to warranty it, but if you put a chip on a car and your fuel pump goes bad I dont think there should be a problem
      12-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #103
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I read the thread. His service department was pulling for him, and he also didn't have the manipulation code set.

The pump is a faulty design, they are going out on stock cars. Thats why they fixed it. It doesn't matter if the service departmnet was pulling for him. You think if BMW can weasel out of warranty work they would. The fact is they replaced it because they know the pump is defective in the first place, and anybody paying out of their pocket for a hpfp failure is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #104
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
BMW is looking for an "out" on the warranty, and I gave them one. They're not going to give it back. Once they know the car has hada tuner on it, they're not going to honor the warranty, even if it is their problem.

There has been a couple of guys on e90post that has put their cars back to stock and had a bmw rep inspect the car and had their warrantee reinstated.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #105
Bahraini135
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Packaged 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
There has been a couple of guys on e90post that has put their cars back to stock and had a bmw rep inspect the car and had their warrantee reinstated.
that's what I had in mind in fact:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #106
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Next nearest dealer is two hours away, and the information is carried on the vehicle data the dealerships pull up when they get ready to do service. It's not really the dealer that refused this claim, it's BMW.
You should celebrate. Your 135i is now a free agent and it can go where ever it wants (or you want). Down with the empire!
      12-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #107
GemBm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, Spt Pkg,Nav,PDC,IPOD

Sorry to hear about your warranty. You are correct posters mention MMA all the time and really don't understand it. The purpose is to protect the consumer who instead of buying OEM parts gets them from a different source. These parts in question do not modify or change the vehicle. Now does the company (BMW) have to prove aftermarket parts caused a failure yes, but we how that actually works. People will say fight it but in the end how much will it eventually cost you and you'll probably not win. Bottom line if you want to mod by all means do it but be willing to pay! By the way, who has the time or would want to take all aftermarket parts off every time you go to the dealer not me?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #108
GemBm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, Spt Pkg,Nav,PDC,IPOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
I've been reading through all your threads Jeremy and I feel for ya. Since BMW has a good case against you here, you're probably doing the the right thing in not dwelling on it too much. In time like these, your career is more important and car issues can always be fixed with money. I'm sure you can find (or already know) a trustworthy mechanic who might actually save you money on the long run. Plus, you no longer have to play this cat and mouse game with the dealer any more.

My concern is that if someone gets in a similar situation, decides to trade-in the car for another BMW, is BMW going to resell this as a certified pre-own even though they voided the warranty themselves in one instance already? sleezy bastards...

I think my only performance mods for the first 4 years will just be the BMW performance exhaust and suspension tweaks after reading all this.
Probably so that's why I would never buy a used with N54 engine period. IMHP it seems to me alot of mods are done buy people who lease.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #109
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
The pump is a faulty design, they are going out on stock cars. Thats why they fixed it. It doesn't matter if the service departmnet was pulling for him. You think if BMW can weasel out of warranty work they would. The fact is they replaced it because they know the pump is defective in the first place, and anybody paying out of their pocket for a hpfp failure is crazy.

Fighting them will cost more than the fuel pump, and at the end of the day that's still not going to restore the warranty. It's not like I can just go in there and demand they replace the pump at no charge. There's going to be a lawyer and arbitrator involved, and a ton of my time.

I don't think a lot of you guys realize that BMW and the service department at the dealership are two seperate things. The service department doesn't make the call on things like this. BMW does, and the service department doesn't get paid if BMW denies the claim, even if they've already done the work. In the other thread the guy's service department went to bat for him and convinced BMW it was their problem. Mine didn't do that.

Besides that, in my case it doesn't seem to be the HPFP that's bad. The symptoms point more toward the low pressure fuel pump, which isn't a high failure item. They're refusing to diagnose the problem and further than they already have (and wanted to charge me shop time for that) because of the modifications to the ECU wiring and the code that's been set. The next step is to get a lawyer, and it's just not worth the time and money.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #110
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

Good Information is one thing! Instructions on how to deceive the dealership is another.
Closed Thread