BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #67
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
The old bracket does NOT work with the DDV kit. I had the old bracket and even tried to modify it to get it to work. RR had to send me the new bracket with my DDV kit.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #68
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Really? I thought this was for performance. If looks are important, then I think a well formed plastic piece would "look" better than a metal box with welds that look like they came from a High School shop class.

My .02

whuh-oh.
      02-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #69
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
The old bracket does NOT work with the DDV kit. I had the old bracket and even tried to modify it to get it to work. RR had to send me the new bracket with my DDV kit.
Great, that's just what I need to hear now. Perhaps they can make a variation on the old bracket that is an inch or so shorter keeping it in front of the car but farther from the intercooler.

Seriously what the hell are these guys thinking selling this?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #70
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

BMW is not going to call riss racing and thell them that we are making changes. This is what has happened. Were you aware of these changes when you bought your car?

I am sure they will need to make another bracket for this. No need in making a big deal out of it.
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #71
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro2296 View Post
BMW is not going to call riss racing and thell them that we are making changes. This is what has happened. Were you aware of these changes when you bought your car?

I am sure they will need to make another bracket for this. No need in making a big deal out of it.
BMW didn't make changes. Riss changed the bracket because people were having issues with after market intercoolers. Unfortunately it appears Riss didn't take that into account when designing the plenum, they only did it with their old bracket. What were they thinking? Hell, what are they thinking? All they've said so far is bend the tab on the new bracket and move it. They have not indicated whether or not they are working on a new bracket or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #72
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

I hope everyone gets this worked out I love driving my car with this intake the sound is awesome and the power this car has is amazing I have a smile every time I get behind the wheel. I have every RIss product but the exhaust and I think there quality is great. There have been some hick ups in the past and there are now but Anthony and Adam are good guys and always come through to help there customers out I am sure they will come through again. I am surprised at people knocking the quality of the plenum though I think it is a good looking product and well built. The people saying they can make this in their garage are full of crap the plenum is well designed it bolts right up and comes right up to the filter. The bracket is the problem and they will have to come up with a fix. But if you think you can build this yourself then you should be able to mount the power steering fluid res yourself its not that hard if you are that skilled.
      02-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #73
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
$219 is ridiculous for this piece that took no thought and minimal effort to produce. It looks like junk and I felt like saying something.
we're all entitled to our opinions and you've obviously expressed yours. but be it known that your "took no thought" comment is ridiculous because someone obviously had to fabricate this piece which obviously must have took some time and effort. the piece just didn't magically appear before their eyes.

and now for my .02 cents on this product.......... ehh, let's just say I'll pass. I love the way my 135i looks under the hood straight from BMW. all the pieces blend in together and nothing looks out of place. this plenum literally sticks out like a sore thumb (but in a not so good way).

again, just my .02 cents.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #74
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr135 View Post
I hope everyone gets this worked out I love driving my car with this intake the sound is awesome and the power this car has is amazing I have a smile every time I get behind the wheel. I have every RIss product but the exhaust and I think there quality is great. There have been some hick ups in the past and there are now but Anthony and Adam are good guys and always come through to help there customers out I am sure they will come through again. I am surprised at people knocking the quality of the plenum though I think it is a good looking product and well built. The people saying they can make this in their garage are full of crap the plenum is well designed it bolts right up and comes right up to the filter. The bracket is the problem and they will have to come up with a fix. But if you think you can build this yourself then you should be able to mount the power steering fluid res yourself its not that hard if you are that skilled.
You have the DDV too? Pics would really be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #75
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

Yes I have the DV's I will take some pics with my Blackberry in the AM and post them.
      02-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #76
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you...don't get it. but i suspected you wouldn't.
      02-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #77
ddtung
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I just received the plenum this morning, two months after I paid for it.

The RR name plate was poorly glued on and was coming off. When I peeled off the protective plastic film, part of the logo came off with it.
One of the attachment tabs was bent. Overall, I would not describe it as a quality part that I would buy again. The rest of the RR parts I bought are on their way in another box and I honestly hope that they are of better quality than the plenum.

DDTUNG
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #78
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I have been a huge supporter of RR since I bought my car, but I have to say that I am not surprised with the less than unanimous agreement on this product. I personally remain undecided on whether or not I am happy with it. The first thing that struck me was how unexpectedly heavy it was.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #79
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo135i View Post
we're all entitled to our opinions and you've obviously expressed yours. but be it known that your "took no thought" comment is ridiculous because someone obviously had to fabricate this piece which obviously must have took some time and effort. the piece just didn't magically appear before their eyes.

and now for my .02 cents on this product.......... ehh, let's just say I'll pass. I love the way my 135i looks under the hood straight from BMW. all the pieces blend in together and nothing looks out of place. this plenum literally sticks out like a sore thumb (but in a not so good way).

again, just my .02 cents.
I had a similar problem with riss scoops. After a month, they had rust all over them. I've sent them some pics, they have sent me a new pair powder coated. They've listened to me but I wish they get it right the first time
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #80
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

I just posted my latest news in the commercial thread. I do have it mounted now, but I do feel a new steering reservoir bracket is needed. I'll post more on that tomorrow. Anyways, the short story is that yes, I do feel there is an improvement in both performance and sound, however I realize that's completely subjective. I will have dyno results sometime next week and we'll see what that says.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #81
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

Sorry for Riss but this has been a bad roll out of th plenum. I think in part it maybe because we were waiting for so long and expecting so much. Releasing it without directions was a mistake. For the people here that installed the RIss DP's themselves this was not a big deal but I can see the problem for some without directions. Dyno testing and 1/4 times are going to be what sets this product apart and I think we will have those by the end of the month from a few sources. I think once the data is in and the bracket problem is fixed that this hick up with the first batch will be a forgotten memory. I think once we see low 12's on street tires we will be happy with our Riss parts.
      02-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #82
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

I hope your right Johnny. The thing that gets me is they've had a lot of time since they finalized their design to do some test fittings. Hell they started the group buy on Dec. 5th.! That was a long time ago and they could have worked out the instructions since then. But they thought this was simple because they never even bothered testing with their current products. That's a pretty big oversight. And a significant amount were already built on Jan. 7th which means they had plenty of samples to do test fittings with before they went to the coaters and take some photos.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #83
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The problem I see with this thread (as with so many other Riss Racing threads on this forum) is that there are too many people on their payroll for any of the positive comments to be taken seriously.

You guys are defending an obviously ill fitting product that simply doesn't look like it belongs under the hood of this car, and it completely destroys your credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I've said this in the past, and I'll say it again: A manufacturer shouldn't need to "sponser" forum members if they're building a quality product.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #84
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

We are talking about an ill fitting bracket that did not even come with the plenum. I think that is the problem with the Thread, it gets jacked by people that really do not know what is the problem. The Plenum is designed fine and is a good product. Once everyone has the same bracket the problem will be solved and then the haters can come back after the next product is released.
      02-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #85
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

You are write Riss screwed up not releasing instructions with this plenum and this uproar is there own doing I will totally give you that.
      02-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #86
dmailloux
Navy Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 CBM X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtung View Post
I just received the plenum this morning, two months after I paid for it.

The RR name plate was poorly glued on and was coming off. When I peeled off the protective plastic film, part of the logo came off with it.
One of the attachment tabs was bent. Overall, I would not describe it as a quality part that I would buy again.

DDTUNG
My issue exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You guys are defending an obviously ill fitting product that simply doesn't look like it belongs under the hood of this car, ...
I second that! The part's lines and 'jagged' welds do not match the same quality as the rest of the car.
Honestly I'd be embarrassed popping my hood and showing what I have done to the engine.

Quote:
We are talking about an ill fitting bracket that did not even come with the plenum. I think that is the problem with the Thread, it gets jacked by people that really do not know what is the problem. The Plenum is designed fine and is a good product. Once everyone has the same bracket the problem will be solved and then the haters can come back after the next product is released.
Its not just the bracket. Its the overall quality of the product! Its design is great and all, it just needed to be put together better. As people have stated before, it looks like something some highschooler made in shop class.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #87
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I believe Riss has a history of poor fitting products. Their 135 exhaust had some fitment issues when it was released, the down pipes had fitment issues and a subsequent revision, and now people are experiencing the same with the intake package.

I'm just glad that people are finally willing to go against the bandwagon and say something about it. There are far too many RR nutswingers on here. We don't need cheerleaders, we need factual and unbiased product reviews.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #88
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Got my plenum.. product quality is amazing.. had a bit of a fitment issue with the screws and the holes not aligning.. had to make some adjustments but got it to fit.. did the install in -10 degrees.. freeezing.. but hope to get a good drive later to test it out.
Appreciate 0