BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #67
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe MT, N55, PPK

Quick question before I drop the $$$ for the extra HP:

To those with the PPK (either stage 1 or 2), has the mod affected your gas mileage? I know BMW claims that gas mileage will be unaffected, but I find that somewhat hard to believe. Generally more HP means less MPGs, but this isn't always true.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #68
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
This Is what I am talking about. Other than the RFTs it is the thing that robs the driving fun from the car. A coNfirmed fix for this would make this ref lash worth every dime.
agreed. been driving my sisters 6AT Audi S5 for the past few days and it has the most progressive and natural throttle response I've ever felt in an automatic. So refreshing compared to the jumpy and unpredictable throttle in my DCT 1er.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #69
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzydnc View Post

To those with the PPK (either stage 1 or 2), has the mod affected your gas mileage? I know BMW claims that gas mileage will be unaffected, but I find that somewhat hard to believe. Generally more HP means less MPGs, but this isn't always true.
Read something recently in AW about another car that was doing something similar - bumping HP on an engine. They said something about it not affecting MPG, because it wasn't in the range tested by EPA, or somesuch. It left me with the distinct impression that a driver could well see a difference, but that the official ratings wouldn't reflect it, because of the way they're calculated. Is that possible?
      10-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #70
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Read something recently in AW about another car that was doing something similar - bumping HP on an engine. They said something about it not affecting MPG, because it wasn't in the range tested by EPA, or somesuch. It left me with the distinct impression that a driver could well see a difference, but that the official ratings wouldn't reflect it, because of the way they're calculated. Is that possible?
well, in my daily driving (not when I'm trying to have some fun) I rarely exceed 2k rpms, so if the PPK only really has an effect on the 2-3k+ range then I suppose it wouldn't affect mileage as far as I'm concerned. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Anyone out there with the PPK notice a change in gas mileage? Thanks.

Last edited by tazzydnc; 10-03-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #71
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
had ppk cooler kit done & noticed car runs more consistent 1/4m (13.4s @ 169km/h)..
s/ware loaded afterwards & car ran 0.3s quicker with similar exit speeds ..
no real diff in fuel consumtion ..
car def feels better in S when U gas it ..
expensive kit but no warrantee issues .
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #72
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
well, in my daily driving (not when I'm trying to have some fun) I rarely exceed 2k rpms, so if the PPK only really has an effect on the 2-3k+ range then I suppose it wouldn't affect mileage as far as I'm concerned. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Anyone out there with the PPK notice a change in gas mileage? Thanks.
I've put about two tanks of gas through mine with the PPK installed. No real difference in fuel economy in my case.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #73
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
I've put about two tanks of gas through mine with the PPK installed. No real difference in fuel economy in my case.
No noticeable difference in gas mileage here, either. I think you'll get an initial drop in MPG because of you'll want to goose it to test out the PPK, but after you get back to your normal driving style the MPG's should also go back to normal.
      10-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #74
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Having it added to my 2012 that is arriving at the dealership today. I'm going from a DCT to a 6 speed car, so no idea how much difference I'll notice. I'll add a review once I've had the chance to put some miles on it.

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #75
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Being on this forum for over 2 years I can think I can offer why some, me included, think this is too expensive.
A big part of the problem is the claimed HP/torque increase numbers.
They are modest at best.
20hp/17lb ft, for the MT really isn't that much increase.

For less than half of that you can get a JB+ that is easily installed within 20 minutes, and you get much more power than what BMW claims.
I've driven a JB+ 135i and the difference is very noticeable.
Along with that tune there have been no problems. It's a solid improvement.
From that perspective it makes sense that some of us question the ROI for this tune.

The argument that this tune is factory backed and warranted is a decided plus for this tune, no question.
I can understand why someone would want this tune if they don't want to risk what could happen with an after market tune.
You have to remember, that BMW is a worldwide market, not just USA only. In many countries, especially in BMW's market closer to home in Europe, you can only fit manufacturer or other approved parts, so this is the ONLY option, if want a performance increase.
Just because for you lucky people in the USA it doesn't give enough 'bang for buck' for others it is the only option.

I'd love to see some real before and after dyno figures though, even though we still can't get this in the UK (and may not be able to either )
      10-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #76
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

As requested, I obtained the price breakdown for the installation of the Stage 1 PPK:

The "kit" itself is $599 and installation is $139 for a total of $738. I'm dropping off my car tomorrow before work. The install will be complete by the time I'm off work, then once rush hour traffic dies down I'll be taking my car for a little joy ride
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #77
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Are people really concerned about gas mileage anywhere in this forum? Seems kinda strange. Buy a Prius or Civic if you want good gas mileage. Seriously?!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #78
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Are people really concerned about gas mileage anywhere in this forum? Seems kinda strange. Buy a Prius or Civic if you want good gas mileage. Seriously?!
yes, I seriously care about my car's gas mileage. I don't see why wanting an efficient vehicle is strange. It'll only save you $$ in the long run. One of the (many) reasons I bought my 135i is because it gets great gas mileage relative to it's engine performance.

An STI (305 HP) gets 19mpgs
A Genesis V6 coupe (306 HP) gets 20mpgs
A V6 Camaro (312 HP) gets 20mpgs
A Mazdaspeed 3 (263 HP) gets 21 mpgs

The 135i coupe (300 HP) gets 23mpgs - better than all of the former - and blasts all but the STI (b/c it's AWD) from 0-60. I really like the fact that my car outperforms so many less efficient vehicles, and gasoline is only getting more expensive. Yes, I care about gas mileage, but I care about performance too. Hence why I didn't get a Prius.

EDIT: the gas mileage ratings listed above are the "combined" MPG ratings from the EPA's website.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #79
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

My point is that we buy these cars for performance. If we actually cared about gas mileage we'd buy something that got 30-35 MPG. The fact that you chose to spend several thousand and even up to $10K more on the BMW proves that you are all about performance.

Gas is expensive but to spend thousands more on a car to get 3MPG better gas mileage actually costs you more money. The only reason you bought the 135i is for performance, like you said.

My guess is that if you could've gotten an M3 or C63 for the same price as a 135i you would've done that and those cars are lucky to get 12-15MPG.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #80
Syndr78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: about to be faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
My point is that we buy these cars for performance. If we actually cared about gas mileage we'd buy something that got 30-35 MPG. The fact that you chose to spend several thousand and even up to $10K more on the BMW proves that you are all about performance.

Gas is expensive but to spend thousands more on a car to get 3MPG better gas mileage actually costs you more money. The only reason you bought the 135i is for performance, like you said.

My guess is that if you could've gotten an M3 or C63 for the same price as a 135i you would've done that and those cars are lucky to get 12-15MPG.
Acknowledged, but...

Performance vs. cost certainly incorporates gas mileage as a consideration for many/most people. This is especially true when the car needs to maintain some level of practicality, and is not a devoted race/toy car.

It's a HUGE consideration for me in deliberating b/t another newer RX8 vs. 135i. If the 8 had better than the deplorable avg. 18 mpgs to its 232 HP, it would be an easier decision, and I likely would have bought another already. This takes into account all other characteristics of the car--most of which I love. BUUUUT, the power:efficiency is pretty lousy i.e. poor MPG AND relatively low power. NOT a good combo.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #81
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Sorry if this has been asked, but I didn't see it. Can the upgrade be done without dealer involvement? In other words, is it a software upgrade that can be done through the OBD-II port on the car?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
You have to remember, that BMW is a worldwide market, not just USA only. In many countries, especially in BMW's market closer to home in Europe, you can only fit manufacturer or other approved parts, so this is the ONLY option, if want a performance increase.
Just because for you lucky people in the USA it doesn't give enough 'bang for buck' for others it is the only option.

I'd love to see some real before and after dyno figures though, even though we still can't get this in the UK (and may not be able to either )
It's the same here in the US. Technically, we also can not put after market performance upgrades without potentially voiding the powertrain warranty. If you want full warranty, no questions asked, the only option in the US is to use the manufacturer products.
I don't see the difference you are alluding to.

I'm sure there are plenty of tuners in the UK that can hook you up with aftermarket tunes to up your performance, just like here in the US.
You can order a JB+ and install it yourself. It only takes about 20 minutes.
You just have to decide if you want the warranty risk.
In that regard the BMW tune is not your ONLY choice, it's just the warranty safe choice. I understand that is what you want, but it's not your only choice for performance upgrades in comparison to the US market.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #83
L8*Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It's the same here in the US. Technically, we also can not put after market performance upgrades without potentially voiding the powertrain warranty. If you want full warranty, no questions asked, the only option in the US is to use the manufacturer products.
I don't see the difference you are alluding to.
It's not the same. What he was saying is they are NOT ALLOWED to put certain aftermarket items on their vehicles. He's not referring to the manufacturers warranty but word of law. We, in the US, are allowed to put whatever we want on our cars, up to a point. We even have some protection by law to let us put on aftermarket items and change our own oil without voiding our warranty. Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #84
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Anyways...

To give a quick update, the PPK was NOT installed on my car yesterday. Though I made an appointment 2 weeks ago, my dealer forgot to actually order the part, which I'm assuming is some kind of piece of software.

They said it needs to be purchased beforehand by the customer and then has to be shipped directly from Germany and takes 7-10 days to arrive. I asked them if I needed to pay up front for anything when I made the appointment and they said "no". Needless to say I was pretty irritated, but they did vacuum, hand wash & wax my car for free, so that's not such a bad way to make ammends.

Since I'm going out of town for 2 weeks on Monday, it'll be a while before I get the PPK installed. When I do I'll make a new thread posting my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #85
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Anyways...

To give a quick update, the PPK was NOT installed on my car yesterday. Though I made an appointment 2 weeks ago, my dealer forgot to actually order the part, which I'm assuming is some kind of piece of software.

They said it needs to be purchased beforehand by the customer and then has to be shipped directly from Germany and takes 7-10 days to arrive. I asked them if I needed to pay up front for anything when I made the appointment and they said "no". Needless to say I was pretty irritated, but they did vacuum, hand wash & wax my car for free, so that's not such a bad way to make ammends.

Since I'm going out of town for 2 weeks on Monday, it'll be a while before I get the PPK installed. When I do I'll make a new thread posting my
impressions.
That's flat wrong. My dealer ordered the kit, which is is software that is loaded onto the dealer's computer and also some labels that go under the hood. They had it in two days.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #86
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM, 6sp, perfor pkg,

Hiccup with power kit stage 1

Well I drove 1 hr to dealer yesterday .....after waiting what I know was too long...they tell me the flash wouldn't load ....they got it done today with another download?? Well at least they gave me a loaner and are driving my car to me tomorrow. We see how it goes.
There were 2 badges with the kit...one wider and flat is meant to go somewhere under hood so they know you have the kit installed and don't wipe it out. The other...I've no idea where it's supposed to go. Picture attached. I'll have to see if it looks good anywhere on outside of my SGM 135 w. sport package, black grills and 135 black letters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #87
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok....the right side of image somehow got cropped.
It says "BMW Performance Edition"
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #88
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep

the Image is the 2nd badge in the kit, not the one for the engine bay
Appreciate 0