BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
1er coupe
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe

Talking Original BMW Xenon Retrofit. White Angel Eyes.

Hello from England!

I have just finished a complete xenon retrofit to my 1 series coupe. I have also fitted the new Darkline LCI brake lights to complete the facelift. It's a much bigger job than people imagine.

I have used 6000K HIDs for the angel eyes. They are 50 times brighter than LEDs. Amazing colour and brightness. I hate the stock yellow angel eyes...it's just personal preference. I wanted a fresh and modern look so I went for white.

Features:

18 inch double spoke alloys
M Sport
Full Boston Black Leather
Sports Heated Seats
Chrome Line
Debadged
Matte Black Calipers
Matte Black Kidney Grille
Aluminium Foot Pedals
5" by 3" oval exhaust
Remap
Stebel Nautilus air horn
Carbon Fiber spoiler
Carbon Fiber splitter
OEM BMW xenons reftrofit
6000K HID angel eyes
Darkline LCI brake lights

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Let us know what was involved with the xenon retrofit!
      04-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
1er coupe
Rep

Would be easier if I just gave you the link to the babybmw forum where I have a full topic. I am one of the first people in the UK to do it and the first on babybmw forum.

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34566

There is now an official BMW retrofit kit available.

The photos below are angel eyes ONLY. Xenons turned off....if you want bright angel eyes, HID are the way to go without question.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
debadgedbmw1
BMW: intake,exhaust,strut bar,18''M1styl,CFspoiler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite
Let us know what was involved with the xenon retrofit!
I wonder if these would throw error codes for our north american 128i models with oem halogen lights?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
1er coupe
Rep

You need to code a new footwell module (not included in the xenon retrofit kit from BMW). The light control switch must also be bought separately. Xenon and Halogen control switch in the cabin are different. Read my thread at babybmw.

Basically, if you have footwell module 3 (FRM3)....you can code anything into it.

Some halogen 1 series already have FRM3 but mine didn't....so I had to buy a new one.

It doesn't matter which BMW you have...you can put OEM xenon headlights in anything. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I find HID angel eyes are wayyyy to bright

I had to take mine off cause I kept getting high beams and attracting unwanted attention at night...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
debadgedbmw1
BMW: intake,exhaust,strut bar,18''M1styl,CFspoiler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er coupe
You need to code a new footwell module (not included in the xenon retrofit kit from BMW). The light control switch must also be bought separately. Xenon and Halogen control switch in the cabin are different. Read my thread at babybmw.

Basically, if you have footwell module 3 (FRM3)....you can code anything into it.

Some halogen 1 series already have FRM3 but mine didn't....so I had to buy a new one.

It doesn't matter which BMW you have...you can put OEM xenon headlights in anything. Good luck.
How do i find the right module and coding for my spec's? Im non angel eyes currently? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
1er coupe
Rep

You need frm3. Only way to tell is look at the one in your car.

It's a very demanding job....you need an expert auto electrician or mechanic to do wiring and coding.

The HIDs are bright yes. I would rather have lights which I can tone down rather than LEDs which are too dull. Have you ever seen HID angel eyes with a 5% tint on the headlights? Perfect. I'm not taking them out they are fantastic.

We also can't just get OSS lights in UK. Nothing comes close to HID I'm afraid. Maybe you had 8000k which look too dazzling? My 6000k look great, I only get comments like "how the hell did you do that?!" lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er coupe View Post
You need frm3. Only way to tell is look at the one in your car.

It's a very demanding job....you need an expert auto electrician or mechanic to do wiring and coding.

The HIDs are bright yes. I would rather have lights which I can tone down rather than LEDs which are too dull. Have you ever seen HID angel eyes with a 5% tint on the headlights? Perfect. I'm not taking them out they are fantastic.

We also can't just get OSS lights in UK. Nothing comes close to HID I'm afraid. Maybe you had 8000k which look too dazzling? My 6000k look great, I only get comments like "how the hell did you do that?!" lol
I put my friends 6000k HID AE's in my car and quickly took them out!!! From a distance they just look like headlights and glare like crazy....Just personal opinion, but I like the look of the LUX way better. Congrats on the conversion none-the-less!!!
      04-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Mine was 6000k too
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
1er coupe
Rep

Each to their own guys. Enjoy your lux. I can always tint my headlights 5% which just makes them perfect. Like I said before I'd rather have brighter headlights than ones which are too dim for my taste. There is no correct answer. Can we just leave it there please. I prefer HID end of. You can hardly see lux during bright sunlight....my brother has them on his e92 and is installing HIDs tomorrow. Again, personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Each to their own guys. Enjoy your lux. I can always tint my headlights 5% which just makes them perfect. Like I said before I'd rather have brighter headlights than ones which are too dim for my taste. There is no correct answer. Can we just leave it there please. I prefer HID end of. You can hardly see lux during bright sunlight....my brother has them on his e92 and is installing HIDs tomorrow. Again, personal preference.
Hey man

5% tint - is that light or dark? Reckon lamin x would be fine?

Which brand HID are you using? Chinese ones? 35W/55W? Any error?

I have LUX which are good, but brighter wouldn't hurt
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
1er coupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
Hey man

5% tint - is that light or dark? Reckon lamin x would be fine?

Which brand HID are you using? Chinese ones? 35W/55W? Any error?

I have LUX which are good, but brighter wouldn't hurt
5% tint is very light....you would barely see it.

To be honest I'm gonna leave them the way they are...I've seen so much variation in HIDs that you cant make a judgement on their brightness until you see them in the flesh. Some 6000k bulbs look like 8000K etc and vice versa. They are no more dazzling than audi fairy lights! I mean have you seen the latest Kia cars? Their LEDs look like HIDs! I think these are perfect.

Lux are good for what they are but not bright enough for me. I can see these HIDs in direct bright sunlight. Lux fade into nothing.

I live in a rural area with hardly any street lights, blind bends, high-sided walls....so bright angel eyes are essential for me. Plus they look awesome!! The whole point is that cars and pedestrians can see me better. The car looks up to date and will be easier to resell.

I have no idea which HIDs they are! I just handed the boxes to my mechanic lol I bought them from M Style in the UK. We have an ongoing group buy over at bmw...they will work out at £150 if we get 10 people involved (nearly there) at the moment we already have a discounted price of £170. If you want discount quote 'babybmw' to James who works there. I'd stay away from the really cheap chinese HIDs you see on ebay.

If it helps identify the HIDs they have black control units and orange ballasts....does that help?!

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_D04MS100.html

Anyway I'm loving them. Keep looking for shop windows so I can see my new angel eyes in the reflection lol I will post photos of my brothers E92 angel eyes tomorrow when he has the HIDs installed. His current LUX look really tame compared to my 6000K HIDs!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
5% tint is very light....you would barely see it.

To be honest I'm gonna leave them the way they are...I've seen so much variation in HIDs that you cant make a judgement on their brightness until you see them in the flesh. Some 6000k bulbs look like 8000K etc and vice versa. They are no more dazzling than audi fairy lights! I mean have you seen the latest Kia cars? Their LEDs look like HIDs! I think these are perfect.

Lux are good for what they are but not bright enough for me. I can see these HIDs in direct bright sunlight. Lux fade into nothing.

I live in a rural area with hardly any street lights, blind bends, high-sided walls....so bright angel eyes are essential for me. Plus they look awesome!! The whole point is that cars and pedestrians can see me better. The car looks up to date and will be easier to resell.

I have no idea which HIDs they are! I just handed the boxes to my mechanic lol I bought them from M Style in the UK. We have an ongoing group buy over at bmw...they will work out at £150 if we get 10 people involved (nearly there) at the moment we already have a discounted price of £170. If you want discount quote 'babybmw' to James who works there. I'd stay away from the really cheap chinese HIDs you see on ebay.

If it helps identify the HIDs they have black control units and orange ballasts....does that help?!

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_D04MS100.html

Anyway I'm loving them. Keep looking for shop windows so I can see my new angel eyes in the reflection lol I will post photos of my brothers E92 angel eyes tomorrow when he has the HIDs installed. His current LUX look really tame compared to my 6000K HIDs!
Thanks for the response man My expectations of LUX were how you are describing your HID's to be honest Don't get me wrong, LUX are 200% better than stock, and like you said are the best of what they are.

I think the HID's are more in line with E92 LCI Angel Eyes? (the stock white/purplish hue angel eyes on the newer E92 LCI models?) - those can be quite dazzling too when looking at them directly so it kinda sounds how you are describing the HID look?

My only concern with the HID's (like most aftermarket HID kits) is that I hear so many of them stop working after x amount of time down the line- flickering, ballasts not igniting, etc etc.

Also, DIY install is a hassle/tricky.. For example, did you have to drill holes in your headlight housing to get the bulbs in? And then you worry about moisture etc. entering the headlight housing too..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
1er coupe
Rep

No man, we never had to drill any holes in the headlights. These HIDs are designed to fit into BMW xenon headlights. They are an exact fit. Yes they look a lot like 2012 DRL BMWs. I actually think these look better.

We mounted the ballasts and control unit onto the chassis (to dissipate heat)...and we've had no issues. No water ingress because we never compromised the OEM seal. You must mount the ballasts onto a metallic surface...some people do not and their ballasts overheat and fail.

Some people just ram the wiring and ballasts into the headlight

We installed them in the safest and most practical place...discrete and out of view. My friend has had HIDs for 3 years without issues...if you do it properly the lights should out-live the car.

Stay away from the 50 dollar HIDs on ebay from China...you are asking for trouble. A luxury car deserves a premium product.

Remember, people take photos of their LUX to compliment them....its easy to make dull LEDs look bright in a photo. I know for a fact you cant see LUX in direct sunlight whereas HID can be seen in any weather condition.

My brother's E92 is in the garage now...removing his LUX and replacing with 6000K HIDs.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No man, we never had to drill any holes in the headlights. These HIDs are designed to fit into BMW xenon headlights. They are an exact fit. Yes they look a lot like 2012 DRL BMWs. I actually think these look better.

We mounted the ballasts and control unit onto the chassis (to dissipate heat)...and we've had no issues. No water ingress because we never compromised the OEM seal. You must mount the ballasts onto a metallic surface...some people do not and their ballasts overheat and fail.

Some people just ram the wiring and ballasts into the headlight

We installed them in the safest and most practical place...discrete and out of view. My friend has had HIDs for 3 years without issues...if you do it properly the lights should out-live the car.

Stay away from the 50 dollar HIDs on ebay from China...you are asking for trouble. A luxury car deserves a premium product.

Remember, people take photos of their LUX to compliment them....its easy to make dull LEDs look bright in a photo. I know for a fact you cant see LUX in direct sunlight whereas HID can be seen in any weather condition.

My brother's E92 is in the garage now...removing his LUX and replacing with 6000K HIDs.
If possible / you feel like it, could you take some pics of your AE install please!

When I said "headlight housing" i actually meant the area inside the cover at the back of the headlight.

I understand the ballasts cannot fit inside that headlight housing area, therefore like you said they have to be mounted outside the headlight cover. But then you still need to get the wires and HID bulb into that area - but how did you maintain the OEM seal and still get the HID bulb and wire inside? surely you had to drill a hole in the back of the headlight cover to fit the wires in?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
1er coupe
Rep

Will take photos tomorrow, bit dark in UK now.

A picture paints a thousand words.

Thanks for the interest.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Will take photos tomorrow, bit dark in UK now.

A picture paints a thousand words.

Thanks for the interest.
Much appreciated look forward to the pics!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
1er coupe
Rep

Well here's one just for the time being!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
I know for a fact you cant see LUX in direct sunlight whereas HID can be seen in any weather condition.
Hmmmm...the sunlight must be a bit different there "across the pond." My LUX are plenty bright in blazing sunlight.
Your retrofit looks lovely and I'm sure is more impressive than a LUX setup in person, but to say that you "can't see"
LUX AEs in direct sunlight is total BS.

Plus I would think that by spending over $2000 for your conversion (vs. $250 for the LUX), it had damn well better
look like a million bucks!

Last edited by Section147; 04-30-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
1er coupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Hmmmm...the sunlight must be a bit different there "across the pond." My LUX are plenty bright in blazing sunlight.
Your retrofit looks lovely and I'm sure is more impressive than a LUX setup in person, but to say that you "can't see"
LUX AEs in direct sunlight is total BS.

Plus I would think that by spending over $2000 for your conversion (vs. $250 for the LUX), it had damn well better
look like a million bucks!
HIDs are actually cheaper than LUX. HIDs cost me £150 lol

The WHOLE halogen to xenon conversion actually cost less than $2000 smart ass. And that's including HID install and black lines!!

You paid $250 for a couple of LEDs! Again, each to their own. It's a matter of taste.

Like I said before, if you enjoy LUX then keep them. You can barely see lux in direct sunlight, ive seen them on my brothers E92 for nearly a year. There is no comparison in brightness anyway I'm not going down that route. Just use a lux meter for a definitive answer. OK you can "see" LUX in direct sunlight...just not very well.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Sorry wasn't trying to crap on your thread - was just telling you of my experience with HID

If I had to go again I will go with bavarian LS1, I don't like the stock Angel eyes how the outer ones are dimmer then the inner ones!
Appreciate 0