BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
135idrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

135i Review 'The Irish Times'

THE IRISH TIMES

A strong step forward for BMW handling

FirstDrive: BMW 1-Series coupé It may not be as retro as BMW says it is, but the new coupé is the best drive of the 1-Series so far, reports Shane O'Donoghue

In a low-key presentation, BMW admitted that there "were doubts" about the viability of the 1-Series, when it was launched in 2004. Reflecting on the reception the 1-Series has been met with in Ireland, the baby BMW has, however, been a sales success, with nearly half a million units sold globally to date.

It was presumed that the initial five-door hatch model would be all that was needed to compete with the likes of the VW Golf and Audi A3, widening BMW's reach in the market. The launch of the three-door earlier this year aroused suspicions that BMW has even bigger plans for the 1-Series, and here's the next step, the two-door coupé.

The 1-Series coupé is an unusual looking car. The idea of cutting the roofline short and sticking a saloon-like boot on to the rear sounds like a recipe for disaster on the already short 1-Series, but it is quite successful, though better from some angles than others.

Side-on, the squat proportions work quite well, and though the "bending" lower swage line remains, it is overshadowed somewhat by the shoulder line that runs from front to rear.

Viewed from the front three-quarters angle, this shoulder line curves inwards at the rear, giving the rear haunches a distinctly muscular look.

New rear lights add to the sporting image, and they are joined by an integrated lip spoiler on the short boot lid. Although BMW draws parallels between one of its most iconic cars, the 2002, and the new 1-Series coupé, there isn't much to link the pair other than perhaps the three-box shape and the relatively slim C-pillars. Interestingly, the 2002 sired a Turbo model, which is still seen as a serious performance car, but even the entry-level 120d coupé has more power than the 1973 sports car, never mind the new 123d model, which features a new twin-turbo 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine.

Unfortunately, neither diesel model was available at the international launch, so we had to content ourselves with the top of the range 135i M Sport.

Anyone who has experienced the rapid 130i hatchback models may, understandably, question the wisdom of strapping the twin-turbo six-cylinder engine to the chassis of the 1-Series coupé. After all, the 130i is already a seriously quick car, but its suspension doesn't cope very well with bumpy roads, so the performance can't be used very effectively.

The 135i has significantly more power and torque throughout the rev range and the peak figures of 302bhp and 400Nm make light work of the coupé body. Standing start acceleration is startling enough, with 100km/h coming up just 5.3 seconds after launch, but it's this engine's mid-range that impresses most, negating the need for many of the six-speed manual's ratios in most situations.

Most drivers will love the effortless performance and cultured engine note, even when pushing the car to perhaps a tiny percentage of its abilities. The 135i, though, has a breadth of capability that really keen drivers will find addictive. Extend that engine to the redline and the performance takes a step up, standing up to comparison with more overtly sporting machinery.

None of this would be any good if the car couldn't deal with the rigours of a real road. Most of our time in the car was spent on a smooth track, where we learned just how benign the handling is and how over the limit of the tyres' considerable grip.

Even under provocation, with the traction control switched off, the coupé is remarkably composed and will flatter most drivers. If a corner is taken too quickly, mild understeer will help scrub the excess speed off, and keener drivers will delight in the slightly tail-lead stance the car adopts exiting a corner.

That's all well and good on a glass-smooth race track, but the question remains as to how the M Sport suspension would cope with our terrible road surfaces. Away from the circuit, first impressions are that the coupé is definitely a better-riding car than its hatchback siblings. Speaking to Kevin Rice, BMW's design manager, we were told that the coupé's body is significantly stiffer than the hatch's, which means that softer springs could be used. It's a simple enough change, but remarkably effective.

Admittedly, many buyers will not have the driving experience at the top of their list of priorities. The 1-Series coupé will appeal to customers looking for an attractive car that they believe sets them apart. Interestingly, BMW will offer a myriad of interior trim and colour options, in the same way as it does with the Mini brand.

OTHERWISE, THERE ARE FEW differences between the interior of the coupé and the three-door hatchback, though the former actually has more luggage capacity.

BMW reckons that the 1-Series coupé is the only rear-wheel drive car in its segment, but the 135i version must surely count the likes of the Nissan 350Z and Mazda RX-8 as competitors, although at a little over €60,000 we expect only a handful of buyers for this model in Ireland. The 120d should account for the vast majority of sales, with the 123d potentially the best blend of performance, economy and cost. Those three engine options go on sale in Ireland on November 24th. No doubt the range will expand to include other petrol derivatives in the near future.

The story doesn't end there though, as BMW has already revealed a 1-Series convertible and has hinted at yet another variant, be that a four-door saloon or perhaps even an M version, we have yet to find out.

Factfile - BMW 1-Series coupé

Engines: 120d: 1,995cc; 174bhp @ 4,000rpm; 350Nm of torque @ 1,750rpm; Top speed - 229km/h (manual); 0-100km/h - 7.6 secs (manual) 123d: 1,995cc; 201bhp @ 4,400rpm; 400Nm of torque @ 2,000rpm; Top speed - 238km/h (manual); 0-100km/h - 7.0 secs (manual) 135i: 2,979cc; 302bhp @ 5,800rpm; 400Nm of torque @ 1,300rpm; Top speed - 250km/h (limited); 0-100km/h - 5.3 secs (manual)

Transmission: Six-speed manual as standard, six-speed automatic optional on some models

Economy: 120d: 4.8l/100km;

123d: 5.2l/100km; 135i: 9.2l/100km

Emissions: 120d: 128g/km;

123d: 138g/km; 135i: 220g/km

Price: 120d: €42,325-€48,650;

123d: €48,525-€51,450;

135i M Sport: €60,250

© 2007 The Irish Times

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/mot...444189022.html
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Nice - well written, good detail, and much more encouraging about the handling.

Quote:
keener drivers will delight in the slightly tail-lead stance the car adopts exiting a corner
Let it be true!

Note that the reviewer did take the opportunity to turn off the tc.... someone noted earlier that this was verboten for the test!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
135i M Sport: €60,250
That's freakin' $87,000. Remember that, kids, when the U.S. pricing is announced. $35K or so isn't going to sound so bad, eh?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
That's freakin' $87,000. Remember that, kids, when the U.S. pricing is announced. $35K or so isn't going to sound so bad, eh?
I'm surprised some psychotic in the UK hasn't instituted a campaign to assassinate car execs given those kinds of markups.... :eyebulge:
Appreciate 0