BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Racewar128I
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 128I BMW

Garage List
2012 BMW 128I  [0.00]
BMS Power Box

Just looking for some opiones on the BMS power box is it worth paying 279 to get 8-10HP or is there something better out there for a 2012 128i, better said can u feel the diffrence
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

If you are in Germany, I heard there are better permanent tune options. That may be a myth, but I've seen posts about it. Search it
      09-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

To answer your question. Yes its worth it.. but not for the reasons that you think.

Its not the 8 to 10 (approx) HP that they claim, but that in combonation with the throttle re-map.. Their HP comes in on the top end with timing and fuel bumps..

In my opinion, that alone is worth the 279.00 . It does transform the responsiveness of the vehicle as a whole, and there fore, around town or with spirited driving the car is transformed.

On the track ( where the tuning comes into play ) i cant tell you actually how much it adds..BUT i will tell you that as a whole i either equal or nearly equal times of 135's on the track.. and im driving an AUTOMATIC !! for instance 2 weeks ago i was behind a 135 that placed 2nd in our group of 12 or 14 by just about 2 seconds....

Hope that helps..
      09-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racewar128I View Post
Just looking for some opiones on the BMS power box is it worth paying 279 to get 8-10HP or is there something better out there for a 2012 128i, better said can u feel the diffrence
I haven't decided yet, but I may be selling my powerbox for $200.
      09-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Racewar128I
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 128I BMW

Garage List
2012 BMW 128I  [0.00]
i also wanted to ask bout air intakes what would be my best bet on that i plan on doing all this over the winter that way next summer when i pull it out off the garage it will be ready to go... i would really be great full to hear some opines on some air intakes
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
To answer your question. Yes its worth it.. but not for the reasons that you think.

Its not the 8 to 10 (approx) HP that they claim, but that in combonation with the throttle re-map.. Their HP comes in on the top end with timing and fuel bumps..

In my opinion, that alone is worth the 279.00 . It does transform the responsiveness of the vehicle as a whole, and there fore, around town or with spirited driving the car is transformed.

On the track ( where the tuning comes into play ) i cant tell you actually how much it adds..BUT i will tell you that as a whole i either equal or nearly equal times of 135's on the track.. and im driving an AUTOMATIC !! for instance 2 weeks ago i was behind a 135 that placed 2nd in our group of 12 or 14 by just about 2 seconds....

Hope that helps..
I do not trust your comparison on track. Experience, skills and ballz most of the time matters on track. I have e36 m3 dedicated track car, and I pass GT3s night and day, doesn't mean my car has more horse power. Oh add to that, couple weeks ago, I ran past a Ferrari 458... yeah I don't think that comparison flies.

I am pretty sure the powerbox gains are minimal, and the throttle mapping just creates a placebo effect to magnify it.

Now, if you start playing with intake manifold, exhaust manifold, exhaust, cams, and air intake, I am pretty sure you can get bms or permanent tunes perform much better. It is almost a must to have a tune at that point.
      09-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
I do not trust your comparison on track. Experience, skills and ballz most of the time matters on track. I have e36 m3 dedicated track car, and I pass GT3s night and day, doesn't mean my car has more horse power. Oh add to that, couple weeks ago, I ran past a Ferrari 458... yeah I don't think that comparison flies.

I am pretty sure the powerbox gains are minimal, and the throttle mapping just creates a placebo effect to magnify it.

Now, if you start playing with intake manifold, exhaust manifold, exhaust, cams, and air intake, I am pretty sure you can get bms or permanent tunes perform much better. It is almost a must to have a tune at that point.
Your 100% correct in your observation and i agree as i have passed high HP cars with poor drivers and have seen Miata's pass theses types of cars also..

as the chief stewart of my racing club says during the drivers meeting:

"....and remember you big engine, high HP cars.....check your mirrors and point by as discussed, because that Miata in your mirror was not dropped there by aliens !!! he is faster than you!!......"

my comparassion was similiar drivers ( my friend in this case ) with similar experience, a year or two of tracking and a million years of auto-x.. basically stock cars with good pads and tires.. and as i said in my orig post, "i cant tell you actually how much it adds." I really cant, but i can say that i have driven my car on the same track with and without the PBX on, and my corner exit speed is much improved mainly due to the throttle re-map and being in the right RPM range to accelerate faster than i did before.

see attached. Im in front of him in the white 128. i was prob holding him up until he settled in.. I let him by at 9minutes so he can streatch his legs..

09-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
halfdriven
Rep
Drives: BMW 128

"....and remember you big engine, high HP cars.....check your mirrors and point by as discussed, because that Miata in your mirror was not dropped there by aliens !!! he is faster than you!!......"

thats a joke right?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdriven View Post

thats a joke right?
No it is not. It is a wake up call.
      09-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:

thats a joke right?

No its not... You'd be amazed at how fast a slow car driven fast will catch a fast car driven slow... happens all day long...

Quote:
Thanks !!
      09-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Your 100% correct in your observation and i agree as i have passed high HP cars with poor drivers and have seen Miata's pass theses types of cars also..

as the chief stewart of my racing club says during the drivers meeting:

my comparassion was similiar drivers ( my friend in this case ) with similar experience, a year or two of tracking and a million years of auto-x.. basically stock cars with good pads and tires.. and as i said in my orig post, "i cant tell you actually how much it adds." I really cant, but i can say that i have driven my car on the same track with and without the PBX on, and my corner exit speed is much improved mainly due to the throttle re-map and being in the right RPM range to accelerate faster than i did before.

see attached. Im in front of him in the white 128. i was prob holding him up until he settled in.. I let him by at 9minutes so he can streatch his legs..
It is very clear that you are staying on power more than your friend. Your friend barely drives that car, that's why you had sense of tagging along with him. Just the 3rd gear pull is a clear indicator that 135 is still way faster. (I think it is a 135)

On the other hand, please pass this to your friend as constructive criticism;
- His hands are all around, somewhat shuffle steer is okay, but he is waaaay excessive on it. He will not know where the wheel is to correct it.
- He is not looking through the turns, you can see that from his eyes on the rear view mirror.
- A bad AutoX habit, quick and rushed turn ins. A spin is imminent the way he drives it, if he has not spun yet. He needs to look up and ahead waaay more, and slow the rate of the turn of the steering wheel so the car can get balanced better. Then he can haul butt thru corners.

As 128 owner, I don't believe it adds any, but I am willing to try it for the cheapness of it.

Last edited by Evice; 09-13-2011 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Evice
Major
Rep

Found him heh. And this exactly what I am talking about. About rushed turn-in.

he could have saved it, was a really slow oversteer, quick counter lock and he should have not let off the throttle.

09-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
halfdriven
Rep

Quote:
Ha, a Miata! First thing, it is not faster than my car, second if I did see a guy driving a Miata I would probably mistake him for a women because after all.. it is a girls car
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ha, a Miata! First thing, it is not faster than my car, second if I did see a guy driving a Miata I would probably mistake him for a women because after all.. it is a girls car
You sound like a guy that has never been on track, correct? If you had been, you'd know that some women have bigger balls then most men on track. Have you heard of NASA Spec Miata racing series?
      09-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
As a fellow 128 owner Ponder this

an NB ( second gen miata) makes 140hp
our 128 make 230hp

a miata weighs 2200lbs
out 128 weighs 3500lbs

we have a near equal lb / hp ratio 15.5 ish ( average)

a miata at a decent track rarely touches the brakes... they are either flat out or they lift a hair to slow the car down. If you have never driven one at speed you will never understand that sensation.

a BMW must BRAKE for most turns as the weight of the car does not allow us to go flat out

A miata with good tires will beat a 128 around the track taking into account average drivers with avergae skills

How do i know this... I own both cars... and when i take my BMW to the track My buddy brings his miata he beats me almost every time.. he is usually a little less the 2 seconds faster than me..

Miatas are momentum cars.. as long as they hold there momentum and not interupted, they are VERY fast around any given circuit..
      09-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Found him heh. And this exactly what I am talking about. About rushed turn-in.

he could have saved it, was a really slow oversteer, quick counter lock and he should have not let off the throttle.

LOL.. i was gonna link it myself.. He lifted... he knew it... infact there is a thread about it.. dsc off family or something like that ..

and yes he is driving a 135... im the white 128 in front of him
      09-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
roadscum
Rep
Drives: 128

Quote:
You seem to miss the point, it's about the driver and his skills, not the car and it's power. Anyone can go fast in a straignt line, well almost anyone..

Regards, Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Anyone that has some REAL track time knows that the 3 most important components to track/ autocross is driver, suspension and weight. Never underestimate smaller engine cars or you will get pissed off real quick.
      09-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
halfdriven
Rep

Love all the assumptions, very entertaining. Only been racing for 20 some years and the weekend worriers with their Honda's. and apparently now Miatas, have always cracked me up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Back to original subject, I've heard mixed comments on the bms box. Some people say they felt absolutely nothing with it and sold it in a couple months. I think it would be better to get a CAI or exhaust.
      09-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmojo View Post
Back to original subject, I've heard mixed comments on the bms box. Some people say they felt absolutely nothing with it and sold it in a couple months. I think it would be better to get a CAI or exhaust.
Why would youspend a thousand+ on exhaust and intake which does not give you much power or torque increase [3 hp] (and definitely no better response) rather than a BMS powerbox?

This doesn't make any logical sense!

For $279 you can get an 8-10 hp increase in power + throttle response.
You won't get anything like that with a NA exhaust or intake [$800 for 3 hp].

I know, I have a 130i with a Simota Intake and BMS powerbox. The intake sounds great, but it doesn't make the car much faster.
Put the powerbox in Map 0 however, and it definitely makes for a more depressing drive.

Black 130i M Sport; 18" Oz Ultraleggra; 225/40 & 245/35.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #22
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclove23 View Post
Why would youspend a thousand+ on exhaust and intake which does not give you much power or torque increase [3 hp] (and definitely no better response) rather than a BMS powerbox?

This doesn't make any logical sense!

For $279 you can get an 8-10 hp increase in power + throttle response.
You won't get anything like that with a NA exhaust or intake [$800 for 3 hp].

I know, I have a 130i with a Simota Intake and BMS powerbox. The intake sounds great, but it doesn't make the car much faster.
Put the powerbox in Map 0 however, and it definitely makes for a more depressing drive.
Magnaflow exhaust $490 and K&N drop in $48 would do at least 10whp. I wouldnt even try to get any power out of a 128i personally. Buying an NA 1series and trying to get power/faster makes no logical sense.