BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb01 View Post
I just brought my 2011 128i home Thursday...

...At any rate, I’m going to call my insurance company on Monday and then I’m going to send a letter to BMW, asking why they have failed to correct this problem and requesting that they reimburse my insurance company for the expense of the new windshield. If they refuse to reimburse my insurance company, I will never buy another BMW and I will contact an attorney to file a class action suit. I’m not big on suing, but BMW should have corrected this design flaw a long, long time ago. Anyway, if anyone would like to join this class action suit, please send an email to me at lancetb1349@yahoo.com) with your contact information.
Oh please, you made a stupid mistake and in an instant, damage was done to your car. Swallow you embarrasment, stop trying to place the blame on a 3rd party, fix the damage and get on with your life.

If you choose not to buy another BMW (Waaaaahhhhhh) because you broke something and want someone else to pay for it. So be it. Grow up, put it behind you and learn to be more carefull of things you are warned about in advance. We all make stupid mistakes sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
benrappaport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.66]
seems a bit harsh
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
I’m not big on suing, but BMW should have corrected this design flaw a long, long time ago.
This is not any form of design flaw. You will see more and more vehicles in the future where the wipers when raised off the windshield will conflict with the back edge of the hood when it is open. Some manufacturers currently solve this problem by preventing the wipers from being lifted more than a few centimetres off the windshield, but you can't then lift the wipers off the windshield to clean it (is that also considered a design flaw?).

The interference is caused by two factors:

Aerodynamics - a high rear edge of the hood that is close to the windshield gives a much smoother airflow over the hood onto the windshield, as the wipers are shielded from interfering with the airflow.

Pedestrian safety - this is especially prevalent in the much stricter EU laws (compared with the US) to prevent head injury to pedestrians in an accident. The hood has to be higher and further back to prevent hard contact when a pedestrian's head hits it and distorts it. There needs to be space underneath it, and it must shield the wipers and base of the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #26
ltb01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Design flaw? Sorry for your pain, but this is like trying to drive into a garage with a fancy bicycle in a roof rack and bye bye fancy bike.
I traded in a Mercedes C230 for this car. When you open the hood on a C230, while the wipers are up, they fall gently back down onto the window. My mother has a C300 and her wipers react the same way as on the C230. Actually, I'd be willing to bet that the wipers on a Kia react the same way as on the C230.

Only an idiot would drive a car into his garage with a bicycle on the roof, or use that anology for the negligence of BMW with respect to this substandard design. Common sense dictates that a car, especially a supposedly well designed German car, should not sustain severe damage simply as a result of opening the hood while the wipers are in the up position. Unfortunately, common sense is something that is sorely lacking among many people these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
ltb01
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
Oh please, you made a stupid mistake and in an instant, damage was done to your car. Swallow you embarrasment, stop trying to place the blame on a 3rd party, fix the damage and get on with your life.

If you choose not to buy another BMW (Waaaaahhhhhh) because you broke something and want someone else to pay for it. So be it. Grow up, put it behind you and learn to be more carefull of things you are warned about in advance. We all make stupid mistakes sometimes.

If I choose not to buy another BMW, it will because they are poorly designed pieces of junk, not because I broke something and want someone else to pay for it. This car cost $38K, do you really think I’m angry because I'm going to have to pay a $75 comprehensive deductible? The fact that there are so many Americans like you, who willingly accept mediocrity, is why America is becoming a third rate economic power and why we have a President Obama.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
If I choose not to buy another BMW, it will because they are poorly designed pieces of junk, not because I broke something and want someone else to pay for it. This car cost $38K, do you really think I’m angry because I'm going to have to pay a $75 comprehensive deductible? The fact that there are so many Americans like you, who willingly accept mediocrity, is why America is becoming a third rate economic power and why we have a President Obama.
Jesus christ dude calm down. You're being a gigantic knob right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #29
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroxide View Post
Jesus christ dude calm down. You're being a gigantic knob right now.
This. You broke your window. It's in the manual. Law suit? That's weak, man.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #30
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Sounds like user error to me, yeah go back and get your Benz and quit whining.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #31
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I just brought my 2011 128i home Thursday and this morning while washing/waxing it for the first time, opened the hood with the wipers in the up position. Needless to say, they cracked the windshield (two ~10” long cracks). I can’t help but notice that the first person who posted something about this problem wrote his comments in June, 2008. It's ridiculous that BMW has had such a basic design flaw in this car for at least 3 model years and their solution has been to bury a warning in the manual on page 121 (per Tom’s post).

At any rate, I’m going to call my insurance company on Monday and then I’m going to send a letter to BMW, asking why they have failed to correct this problem and requesting that they reimburse my insurance company for the expense of the new windshield. If they refuse to reimburse my insurance company, I will never buy another BMW and I will contact an attorney to file a class action suit. I’m not big on suing, but BMW should have corrected this design flaw a long, long time ago. Anyway, if anyone would like to join this class action suit, please send an email to me at lancetb1349@yahoo.com) with your contact information.

THis warning can be found in the detailers section.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #32
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
THis warning can be found in the detailers section.
/thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
ltb01
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Sounds like user error to me, yeah go back and get your Benz and quit whining.
The reason I made my initial post was to inform others who've incurred expenses as a result of this design flaw that I will be initiating a class action suit. I didn’t make the post to invite sophomoric insults from a bunch of morons, who evidently lack the common sense to understand that this is an engineering flaw.

Had I known that BMW is the preferred car of so many idiots, I would have gotten another Mercedes. Even though I’ve scheduled an appointment to have the windshield replaced, I will still be filing a class action lawsuit against BMW. For those of you in here who have a triple digit IQ, please email me your contact information if you care to participate in that lawsuit. To the rest of you, goodbye and have fun in your little forum where I guess you sit around all day talking about your stupid cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #34
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
The reason I made my initial post was to inform others who've incurred expenses as a result of this design flaw that I will be initiating a class action suit. I didn’t make the post to invite sophomoric insults from a bunch of morons, who evidently lack the common sense to understand that this is an engineering flaw.

Had I known that BMW is the preferred car of so many idiots, I would have gotten another Mercedes. Even though I’ve scheduled an appointment to have the windshield replaced, I will still be filing a class action lawsuit against BMW. For those of you in here who have a triple digit IQ, please email me your contact information if you care to participate in that lawsuit. To the rest of you, goodbye and have fun in your little forum where I guess you sit around all day talking about your stupid cars.
Did you not read the above post where it's in the owners manual? BMW put it into the owners manual to cover them from sue happy people like you. You're making yourself look like a jackass.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #35
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Did you not read the above post where it's in the owners manual? BMW put it into the owners manual to cover them from sue happy people like you. You're making yourself look like a jackass.

"M-the most powerful Letter in the World"!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #36
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:

My '07 E550 (E Class, not C Class) Owners Manual has a similar warning about pulling the wipers up (because they will scratch the rear lip of the hood).

...Gotta read your manuals, man, not rant after you break your shit... and insult those who don't cry with you because you did.

See post 14 here: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/e-clas...nt-wipers.html

I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #37
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:

I usually do not comment on people’s behavior but you are a D I C K! Now go buy another car and you can complain on that models forum with the little issues you run into. Trust me, about any car you get will have some little quark with it. Good luck in life, you will need it!
      05-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #38
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

You're calling me an idiot and you're the one who damaged your car on the first day? Look buddy we all make mistakes in this so called life, sometimes you get a break and other times you gotta roll with the punches. You live and you learn, I once broke something on my car(on another BMW) and i just sucked it up and went to the dealer and replaced it. Not once did i question about it being an engineering flaw or why it happened. It broke cause i made a mistake, you live and you learn. Like others have mentioned its in the owners manual so not real sure what you are looking to accomplish with the lawsuit talk. Time to move on replace it and start enjoying your car.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 05-01-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #39
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
My '07 E550 (E Class, not C Class) Owners Manual has a similar warning about pulling the wipers up (because they will scratch the rear lip of the hood).

...Gotta read your manuals, man, not rant after you break your shit... and insult those who don't cry with you because you did.

I'm done.
Exactly, I always take time to go over the owners manual just to get acquainted with the car and its features before messing around. BMW does a real good job about posting many warnings in the manual.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 05-01-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #40
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:

Get banned you maroon.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #41
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Quote:
The fact that there are so many Americans like you, who willingly accept mediocrity, is why America is becoming a third rate economic power.
At the risk of starting a trans-pacific war, from the outside, it appears that the reason that part of America we call the U.S. is no longer at the forefront of economic productivity and innovation is stupid lawsuits.

See http://trouble.iotashan.com/jokes/stupid-lawsuits.cfm

Unfortunately, we here in Oz are starting to follow suit (pun intended), and look like following you guys down the proverbial.

Cheers,
Alf
      09-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #42
JBurer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i, 1991 911 Turbo

Thanks for this!
I had a crack appear on the upper passenger side of the windshield while I was driving 20mph in a mall parking lot. No rock involved, just heard a snap while making an uphill right hand turn.

Reaching out to my local dealer with this bulletin number... hope they'll take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanomite View Post
can you take a picture of it? if it doesn't have a clear point of impact it maybe covered under warranty. there is a service bulletin about cracking windshields...

SIB513508

SUBJECT
Cracked or Damaged Windshields

MODEL
All models

SITUATION
The windshield may become cracked or damaged for a variety of reasons. While the windshield requires repair or replacement, it is important to take note of the following guidelines regarding what types of damage may or may not be covered by the BMW New Vehicle Warranty.

CAUSE
Windshield damage is typically caused by one of the following:

Outside influence – typically stone chips in nearly all cases

Excessive force applied – such as levering out the A-pillar trim

Stress crack – due to heavy torsional loads on the vehicle's body or an incorrectly-fitted windshield (least common cause)

PROCEDURE
When evaluating a cracked or damaged windshield to determine whether it is eligible to be claimed under warranty, it is necessary to determine the root cause of the damage. Reviewing the following possible causes will help to determine the root cause.

Outside Influence

An outside influence is responsible for the damage if:

One or more chips are present on the outside of the glass along the crack;

A crack started from anywhere other than an outside edge.

Run a non-permanent felt tip pen or small marker over the length of the damaged area. Even very minor surface damage will be felt.

Often when a small stone chip occurs, the subsequent crack takes time to develop, as the vehicle is subject to normal torsional loads or temperature fluctuations.

Any damage due to an outside influence will not be covered under warranty.

Excessive force

A windshield may become damaged due to excessive force being applied while performing other repairs, such as levering out the A-pillar trim or removing a rear view mirror.

If the windshield is damaged as a result of excessive force being applied, warranty consideration will not be given.

Stress crack

Under very isolated circumstances, a stress crack may form due to a combination of glass position and heavy torsional loads on the body of the vehicle.

These cracks always start from an outside edge of the glass.

Most often the cracks begin at one of the corners of the windshield.

Stress cracks typically occur within the first year or 10,000 miles of the vehicle's service life.

Additional Notes:

Only OEM BMW windshields may be considered for a warranty claim where a stress crack is the root cause. If a non BMW windshield was installed in the vehicle, any resulting damage (i.e., cracks, water leaks, etc.) will not be covered. BMW windshields can be identified by a BMW Roundel stamped on the glass in one of the lower corners.

If the damage to the glass is due to an outside influence, very often the glass can be repaired as opposed to being replaced. For additional information on this repair and recommended repair kits, refer to Parts bulletin 51 09 06.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #43
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Not sure why you guys don't have glass replacement coverage on your cars? Living in Arizona it's not uncommon to replace your windshield at least once a year maybe every two years. I'm sure glad I have it on all my cars.
      09-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #44
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Yep, it's in the 2008 owner's manual and yep BMW should have fixed it in subsequent models.