BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #67
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
^ You're paying to have your wheels swapped?

You, my friend, are a man who needs some tools.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #68
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Wow you guys are all so mechnically inclined.

I got another quote for 45 mins ($60), I think I'll just get it done there along with wheel swap (yay spring).
The sway bar is 6 bolts and slides right out. It takes the longest to remove and put back on that stupid underbody tray that has like 25 bolts.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #69
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Wow you guys are all so mechnically inclined.

I got another quote for 45 mins ($60), I think I'll just get it done there along with wheel swap (yay spring).
go now before they get wise and look up times in some thread on a forum

for 60.00 its well worth it, and they flip your tires... sold in my book..
      04-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #70
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
go now before they get wise and look up times in some thread on a forum

for 60.00 its well worth it, and they flip your tires... sold in my book..
Yeah I figured it's a good price.

Anyhow, I did some spirited driving after...

Wow.

I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect, but I notice a huge difference with the sway bar. The front end/steering of the car feels TIGHT. I wouldn't say body roll is completely eliminated, a good estimate would be ~80%. At least I'm not hanging onto the bolster for my dear life during fast turns.

Great bang for buck mod. AA Tune + E93 M3 Sway bar =

Next is an exhaust...
      04-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #71
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I agree with the having a shop install it routine. There are some things I would consider installing on the outside of the car perhaps or maybe a minor engine mod or two, but other than that im taking it to a shop who specifically knows what theyre doing with my model car. That way the sweating, swearing and tool manipulating is all on them along with any return work if at all need be if something goes wrong on their dime. Rather than do all that shit myself, fuck something up and then pay for it myself and wait even longer, screw that. If im gonna invest money into these new parts, ill invest a little more into a professional handling them
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #72
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

for those that prefer " a picture is worth a thousand words"

First pic is me HARD right turn thru the lights and then hard on the brakes... this is having come out of a 4 cone slalom with a short straight away to the finish that begged to have the throttle pegged till the hard right...

Second Pic is a lotus Exicge.... same spot...(actually the lotus is already 2 cones further foward then i am) Compare the body roll for yourself.

my time 51.8 (On Hankook RS's) his time 48.3(R-Comps) FTD 44.3 ( Porsche GT3 race ready, Hoosiers)
Attached Images

Last edited by DriveHard; 04-11-2011 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added some tire / cone details
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #73
GringoStar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

Impressive! Looks similar
Now: 12 alpine white/coral red 335i
Power tbd
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #74
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I agree with the having a shop install it routine. There are some things I would consider installing on the outside of the car perhaps or maybe a minor engine mod or two, but other than that im taking it to a shop who specifically knows what theyre doing with my model car. That way the sweating, swearing and tool manipulating is all on them along with any return work if at all need be if something goes wrong on their dime. Rather than do all that shit myself, fuck something up and then pay for it myself and wait even longer, screw that. If im gonna invest money into these new parts, ill invest a little more into a professional handling them
I certainly respect your point of view, and that's a stress free way to go about modding. However, if you are mechanically inclined, I would always suggest installing parts yourself starting with the simple things. Most DIY threads give a pretty good idea of the level of difficulty involved in a particular task.

There are two good reasons I suggest this. The first being money kept in your pocket. I just helped/taught a friend how to install lowering springs on his Infinity. This saved him hundreds of dollars with no adverse effects. I realize that to some though, piece of mind outweighs cost savings.

The second reason is This. All too often, you see and hear people that have 10k in mods all installed by their "tuning shop" when something goes wrong somewhere. Now, they are at the mercy of whatever shop did whatever mod. They have no clue what caused their problem, what the fix is, and what to do or not do to keep the car running until it's fixed. Many times, the shop installing parts doesn't have the same level of respect for your car as you do. Then you hear the complaints of incompetence, being without the car for a weekend, fighting with a cc company etc.....

I'm not saying become a mechanic overnight. I'm just saying start simple and don't be too intimidated when it comes to mods. The knowledge you gain by trying it yourself (or with a knowledgeable friend) will reap great returns in the future.

Just my .02.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #75
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I certainly respect your point of view, and that's a stress free way to go about modding. However, if you are mechanically inclined, I would always suggest installing parts yourself starting with the simple things. Most DIY threads give a pretty good idea of the level of difficulty involved in a particular task.

There are two good reasons I suggest this. The first being money kept in your pocket. I just helped/taught a friend how to install lowering springs on his Infinity. This saved him hundreds of dollars with no adverse effects. I realize that to some though, piece of mind outweighs cost savings.

The second reason is This. All too often, you see and hear people that have 10k in mods all installed by their "tuning shop" when something goes wrong somewhere. Now, they are at the mercy of whatever shop did whatever mod. They have no clue what caused their problem, what the fix is, and what to do or not do to keep the car running until it's fixed. Many times, the shop installing parts doesn't have the same level of respect for your car as you do. Then you hear the complaints of incompetence, being without the car for a weekend, fighting with a cc company etc.....

I'm not saying become a mechanic overnight. I'm just saying start simple and don't be too intimidated when it comes to mods. The knowledge you gain by trying it yourself (or with a knowledgeable friend) will reap great returns in the future.

Just my .02.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Tuning shops don't give a fuck about your car. Good luck going back to them if the bar clunks off on the highway. They have zero liability. I also highly doubt that they would even go so far as to look up the proper torque values for the specific car.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #76
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Tuning shops don't give a fuck about your car. Good luck going back to them if the bar clunks off on the highway. They have zero liability. I also highly doubt that they would even go so far as to look up the proper torque values for the specific car.
Both of ur points make sense, atleast for those who know what theyre doing underneath a car, however this is the exact reason for why I spend probably the most time out of anything finding a REAL honest to goodness european shop for my car. I then introduce myself and my car to them, watch closely how they react to things, check out their shop and surroundings and ask lots of questions. Believe me I made mistakes with half-ass shops earlier on with other cars and I knew about it shortly after.

Since I wouldnt have a clue how to do ANY kind of suspension install, even with a "DIY" instruction booklet, I choose to put my car in the hands of someone I trust. And trusting someone with your car, one like this, is close to a feeling of family trust almost.

Plus, modding is an expensive kinda deal, that's why I wait or research the best prices for mods I am getting so I can give myself a little leeway on installation. My job is physically hard nuff as is, I def dun need to be sweatin my ass off n breaking my back underneath my car for 12 hours straight doing springs n shocks, and I know thats how it would be too, I wouldnt really have anyone to help so. I could understand for someone stuck in a boring ass office all day or something would wanna get down n dirty with their car afterwards, but not me, id rather play with her after n reap the benefits
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #77
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
My job is pretty hard too. But after doing this to a 23,000,000 aircraft which has to FLY, I don't mind swapping 4 springs lol.

Sorry for the thread jack lol.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #78
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
In all honesty though, the sway bar install is REALLY easy.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #79
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
My job is pretty hard too. But after doing this to a 23,000,000 aircraft which has to FLY, I don't mind swapping 4 springs lol.

Sorry for the thread jack lol.
Well sounds like ur an engineer or somethin then, so no problem for you. Me, well thats quite far from my profession.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #80
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Finally got my E93 sway bar in....First drive...Subtle changes at first but certainly for the better. The car has lost it's wee bit of body roll/lean that it had stock and for this improvement alone the bar is worth it..Just feels more planted going around corners at speed or even slow...So far i feel good about the changes....I am sure the other M3 suspension mods done to the 135i suspension will be beneficial as well...but for my street driving only....this is as far as i go on the suspension for now.....no more money LOL...i want rims next!!!
      04-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #81
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Finally got my E93 sway bar in....First drive...Subtle changes at first but certainly for the better. The car has lost it's wee bit of body roll/lean that it had stock and for this improvement alone the bar is worth it..Just feels more planted going around corners at speed or even slow...So far i feel good about the changes....I am sure the other M3 suspension mods done to the 135i suspension will be beneficial as well...but for my street driving only....this is as far as i go on the suspension for now.....no more money LOL...i want rims next!!!

Although I would invest in some nicer shocks like the FSD's. Those paired with the front bar would probably be the best overall difference/feel for the money. You could go with sexy springs and the M parts throughout, but thats a pretty large investment, and if you're a guy like me with hardly any mechanical experience, its even more money for installation. Also the rear subframe bushings are supposedly great for losing any of the wobbly, sloppy feeling from the rear end, specially if you're lowered at all. Only problem with these is they need about 4-6 hours in installation labor costs which is alot. You can install the front bar, shocks and springs in probably that amount of time.

So ya, you're around where im at tbh, i dont have any suspension mods yet, but i wanna do the front bar and some shocks to make the ride sweet n more tuned. Id like to go the whole M suspension route, just dont have the dollars. Im jealous of these crazies who get ALL the parts together and can just throw em on their car themselves in a few days, no problem. Hell, if I tried myself at installing the M suspension itd be 5 days later with hardly any progress and me swearing my ass off with muscles tight n aching all to hell
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #82
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:

Although I would invest in some nicer shocks like the FSD's. Those paired with the front bar would probably be the best overall difference/feel for the money. You could go with sexy springs and the M parts throughout, but thats a pretty large investment, and if you're a guy like me with hardly any mechanical experience, its even more money for installation. Also the rear subframe bushings are supposedly great for losing any of the wobbly, sloppy feeling from the rear end, specially if you're lowered at all. Only problem with these is they need about 4-6 hours in installation labor costs which is alot. You can install the front bar, shocks and springs in probably that amount of time.

So ya, you're around where im at tbh, i dont have any suspension mods yet, but i wanna do the front bar and some shocks to make the ride sweet n more tuned. Id like to go the whole M suspension route, just dont have the dollars. Im jealous of these crazies who get ALL the parts together and can just throw em on their car themselves in a few days, no problem. Hell, if I tried myself at installing the M suspension itd be 5 days later with hardly any progress and me swearing my ass off with muscles tight n aching all to hell
My 09 128 has the e93 swaybar, Koni FSD/Eibach spring combo. I would recommend this setup to anyone who doesn't need a track set-up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #83
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
My 09 128 has the e93 swaybar, Koni FSD/Eibach spring combo. I would recommend this setup to anyone who doesn't need a track set-up.
Ive read in a thread somewhere that the FSD's are actually made for the stock 1er springs. Said that anyone with fsds on this car with anything much lower than stock have issues with the bumpstops bottoming out too often or something. Not sure what the issue was
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #84
RWolf10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i DCT

Quote:
Ive read in a thread somewhere that the FSD's are actually made for the stock 1er springs. Said that anyone with fsds on this car with anything much lower than stock have issues with the bumpstops bottoming out too often or something. Not sure what the issue was
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519932
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #85
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolf10 View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #86
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

put mine on this weekend... i can definitely feel a difference around the curves, much tighter and less body roll. Great mod!
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0