BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Unhappy Cracked Windshield

Was washing my car this morning, and I forgot to put the wipers down before popping the hood. The hood forced the wiper into the windshield and put some serious cracks in it. Time for a replacement! The paint on the hood is also chipped off right on the rim of the hood, but I'm not too upset about that. I just hope it won't take too long to get it replaced because it is spreading!! Everyone, please be careful - this is a very easy mistake to make!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

yes, this has been discussed at length.... shitty design, and people should be made aware of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
In a warm weather environment, I would NEVER have thought this to happen. I paid attention up north, because the cold makes the glass more brittle.

But still, the wiper is rubber, and just the shock of rubber hitting the glass can make it spread, and then in warm weather it can spread that quick. That is crazy.

Call your insurance company. If the crack is less than 12", you can have it resin-filled for free, and your insurance company won't hit you for the claim. Once over that, you will easily go over the $1500 line for how insurance companies will raise your rates on a claim that much or higher. If you have USAA, they have a nice benefit of that you can replace once every two years with no rate hikes if it is damaged. I don't know about other companies.

Oh, and the resin is clear, the crack goes away. You can barely see it.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

It is a Comprehensive Claim and there will be no surcharges..I have USAA and they are the best. Just call their toll free number, and do not use who they recommend..Safelite is terrible. If you know a good glass shop tell them you want to take it there. It will be as good as new. Forget the resin fill, it will drive you nuts every time you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

There is a warning in the manual on page 121 - but it needs to be much more prominent. Ditto with raising the front windows first in the 'vert.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
But still, the wiper is rubber, and just the shock of rubber hitting the glass can make it spread, and then in warm weather it can spread that quick. That is crazy.
Well, it's not actually the rubber that is cracking people's windshields. It's the metal piece that attaches to the motor. When you lift the hood up, it forces the bottom of the metal piece into the glass. The rubber is harmless. They got that right!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I had a small crack, from a rock I think, that started in the left hand corner of my windshield, unrelated I know to the OP's experience, but still....I think the glass is very soft and is prone to cracking.

The crack now goes all the way across the windshield, and I obviously have to replace the whole thing. Call the dealer, and guess how much? $1,431.19!!!!!

How can a windshield replacement be nearly 4% of the total cost of the car? I nearly fell over when they told me that....and I know other people with BMWs, and almost all of them have a little crack or divot in their windshields....I just think this is not a small issue.....and now I am going to have to fork over nearly 1500 bucks!!! Maybe the gurus in Munich need to address the glass composition.....sigh.....
      05-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Comprehensive insurance covers it. I'm not paying a penny, but it sucks for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Comprehensive insurance covers it. I'm not paying a penny, but it sucks for the inconvenience.
Florida is nice about that. I had to pay my deductible when I did this. I'm also with USAA and Safelite did a fine job so far as I'm concerned. They got the windshield from BMW and did the swap at my office. They transferred my stickers and toll tag and it looks real good.

I believe some people have reported that if you let the wiper drop on it's own it can crack the windshield wiper also. You need to guide it back down.

I really doubt there is anything wrong with BMW glass. I don't buy that claim that it's soft or anything like that. It's part of the structure and it also has to hold up to debris at autobahn speeds. Unfortunately the design of the 135 just makes this a problem. But with any auto glass if you push something sharp into it with enough force it will break.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

The glass is not soft...it is a special piece of laminated safety glass. BMW glass is no different that what they use on Porsche, Ford, Hummer...

To the person that said they have to pay 1500...do you not have comprehensive coverage? If so, you only pay your deductable.

Safelite sucks. They will hire anyone, and only interested in getting it done as fast and as cheap as possible. They damamged my hood with dent and scratches on time, and the front of my roof another time. Use someone else if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

can you take a picture of it? if it doesn't have a clear point of impact it maybe covered under warranty. there is a service bulletin about cracking windshields...

SIB513508

SUBJECT
Cracked or Damaged Windshields

MODEL
All models

SITUATION
The windshield may become cracked or damaged for a variety of reasons. While the windshield requires repair or replacement, it is important to take note of the following guidelines regarding what types of damage may or may not be covered by the BMW New Vehicle Warranty.

CAUSE
Windshield damage is typically caused by one of the following:

Outside influence – typically stone chips in nearly all cases

Excessive force applied – such as levering out the A-pillar trim

Stress crack – due to heavy torsional loads on the vehicle's body or an incorrectly-fitted windshield (least common cause)

PROCEDURE
When evaluating a cracked or damaged windshield to determine whether it is eligible to be claimed under warranty, it is necessary to determine the root cause of the damage. Reviewing the following possible causes will help to determine the root cause.

Outside Influence

An outside influence is responsible for the damage if:

One or more chips are present on the outside of the glass along the crack;

A crack started from anywhere other than an outside edge.

Run a non-permanent felt tip pen or small marker over the length of the damaged area. Even very minor surface damage will be felt.

Often when a small stone chip occurs, the subsequent crack takes time to develop, as the vehicle is subject to normal torsional loads or temperature fluctuations.

Any damage due to an outside influence will not be covered under warranty.

Excessive force

A windshield may become damaged due to excessive force being applied while performing other repairs, such as levering out the A-pillar trim or removing a rear view mirror.

If the windshield is damaged as a result of excessive force being applied, warranty consideration will not be given.

Stress crack

Under very isolated circumstances, a stress crack may form due to a combination of glass position and heavy torsional loads on the body of the vehicle.

These cracks always start from an outside edge of the glass.

Most often the cracks begin at one of the corners of the windshield.

Stress cracks typically occur within the first year or 10,000 miles of the vehicle's service life.

Additional Notes:

Only OEM BMW windshields may be considered for a warranty claim where a stress crack is the root cause. If a non BMW windshield was installed in the vehicle, any resulting damage (i.e., cracks, water leaks, etc.) will not be covered. BMW windshields can be identified by a BMW Roundel stamped on the glass in one of the lower corners.

If the damage to the glass is due to an outside influence, very often the glass can be repaired as opposed to being replaced. For additional information on this repair and recommended repair kits, refer to Parts bulletin 51 09 06.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
It is a Comprehensive Claim and there will be no surcharges..I have USAA and they are the best. Just call their toll free number, and do not use who they recommend..Safelite is terrible. If you know a good glass shop tell them you want to take it there. It will be as good as new. Forget the resin fill, it will drive you nuts every time you look at it.
true! i love USAA.
      05-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have a small chip directly in the line of sight on our 135 and small cracks have begun radiating from it so the windshield is going to be replaced. We have full glass coverage so there won't be any out of pocket costs.

Things are being set up with an outfit called Glass America. They are ordering the windshield and necessary parts (moldings, condensation sensor for the auto wipers, etc) from the local BMW dealer so the car will have OEM, not aftermarket, parts. This all sounds hopeful, but has anyone had any experience with Glass America? Apparently depending upon the part of the country their centers are also known as Auto Glass Service.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

Does the premium go up

I apologize to fire up a dead thread but I just didn't want to start a new discussion.

Long story short

2011 BMW 135i.Alpine white /coral.1800 miles..I was washing it yesterday and pulled the wipers up to clean the windshield, The damn wiper blade came off its metal handle and whack...the metal handle strikes back the Windshield.I have a nice Trispoke crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I have 250$ deductible coverage but was concerned about the premium shooting up if I claim it.As of now The crack seems to be manageable as its noticeable only at an angle and its on the passenger side.I wont have a choice if it spreads though.Its on a lease[barely 5 months into it].

1.Should I inform BMW about the incident?
2.Safelite gives me 580$ estimate.Online quotes from BMW seem to be thrice that amount? I safelite any good?
3. Any safety concerns with a cracked windshield?
4.I pay ~1400$ for the 135i in insurance.Does my premium go up If i claim it?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukoodukoo View Post
I was washing it yesterday and pulled the wipers up to clean the windshield, The damn wiper blade came off its metal handle and whack...the metal handle strikes back the Windshield.
Similar thing happened to me when replacing the wipers on an E36. The arm slipped out of my hand when no blade was on it. I took it to the dealer, they had a guy that came in and did all the BMWs.

In MA, there was no cost for a replacement (no deductible, no change in premiums, etc), but that was 15 years ago. Haven't had a windshield replaced since then.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Similar thing happened to me when replacing the wipers on an E36. The arm slipped out of my hand when no blade was on it. I took it to the dealer, they had a guy that came in and did all the BMWs.

In MA, there was no cost for a replacement (no deductible, no change in premiums, etc), but that was 15 years ago. Haven't had a windshield replaced since then.

I forgot to add, I contacted my insurance agent and they recommended BMW glass (car was brand new like yours). The dealer took care of the insurance claim and I didn't pay anything, or have to fill out any paperwork/claim. And my premium did not go up.

I would check your policy, but it is a state law in MA that if an object damages your windshield, you are covered for this loss if you have comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #17
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
1.Should I inform BMW about the incident?
2.Safelite gives me 580$ estimate.Online quotes from BMW seem to be thrice that amount? I safelite any good?
3. Any safety concerns with a cracked windshield?
4.I pay ~1400$ for the 135i in insurance.Does my premium go up If i claim it?
1. Not if you want to pay their price.
2. I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite about a month ago. They came to my house and replaced it in under 20 minutes. They delt with my insurance company and did all the paperwork. Great company.
3. Depends on the size of the crack. Cops will cite you if they can see it and it will obviously get worse the longer it goes unfixed.
4. Depends on your state laws. In FL, the insurance company must repair/replace the damage free of charge if you have comprehensive coverage. My deductable did not increase.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
1. Not if you want to pay their price.
2. I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite about a month ago. They came to my house and replaced it in under 20 minutes. They delt with my insurance company and did all the paperwork. Great company.
3. Depends on the size of the crack. Cops will cite you if they can see it and it will obviously get worse the longer it goes unfixed.
4. Depends on your state laws. In FL, the insurance company must repair/replace the damage free of charge if you have comprehensive coverage. My deductable did not increase.
Its a lease...would BMW want their own glass on it?I think its already spreading..I think i am running out of time .BTW i checked out safelite and was surprised by the number of windshield choices available for 135i .what did you chose?

https://www.safelite.com/servlets/ProblemPartSelection
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Its a lease...would BMW want their own glass on it?I think its already spreading..I think i am running out of time .BTW i checked out safelite and was surprised by the number of windshield choices available for 135i .what did you chose?

https://www.safelite.com/servlets/ProblemPartSelection
comprehensive coverage <-- this
if you have it, pay deductible if you need to, and fix it.
I am getting mine replaced under comprehensive coverage today. I am paying $200 deductible and no my insurance charges going up.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
There are only 2 windshields available for our cars and Pilkington makes them both and both come with the BMW rain sensor (if you had the option). I have the "non-OEM" Pilkington windshield on my car and it's perfectly fine. Just make sure they get the factory molding (surround piece) otherwise it just won't look right.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
ltb01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I just brought my 2011 128i home Thursday and this morning while washing/waxing it for the first time, opened the hood with the wipers in the up position. Needless to say, they cracked the windshield (two ~10” long cracks). I can’t help but notice that the first person who posted something about this problem wrote his comments in June, 2008. It's ridiculous that BMW has had such a basic design flaw in this car for at least 3 model years and their solution has been to bury a warning in the manual on page 121 (per Tom’s post).

At any rate, I’m going to call my insurance company on Monday and then I’m going to send a letter to BMW, asking why they have failed to correct this problem and requesting that they reimburse my insurance company for the expense of the new windshield. If they refuse to reimburse my insurance company, I will never buy another BMW and I will contact an attorney to file a class action suit. I’m not big on suing, but BMW should have corrected this design flaw a long, long time ago. Anyway, if anyone would like to join this class action suit, please send an email to me at lancetb1349@yahoo.com) with your contact information.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Design flaw? Sorry for your pain, but this is like trying to drive into a garage with a fancy bicycle in a roof rack and bye bye fancy bike.