BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
airs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Space Gray comes early June, would appreciate product recommendations

I'm super excited to take delivery of my Space Gray/Black leatherette 135 in June! At first I was going to have it professionally prepped/detailed upon delivery but now after reading this and other detailing forums, I am thinking I'll get intimate with my new bimmer upon arrival

Here's what I'm thinking of ordering from DI:

Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz
E-Z Detail Brush - Full Size
Foamaster II Foam Gun - 1/2 Gallon Tank
Green Very Light Cutting Pad - 6.5"
Grit Guard Insert x2
PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) - 32 oz
Sheepskin Wash Mitt x3
Super Intensive Polish PO83 - 32 oz
Wheel Sealant - 8 oz
White Polishing Pad - 6.5" x3
XC 3401 VRG (Flex)

Meguire's Gold Class
Meguire's Clay bar
ZFX/Z-2/Z-6 (heard Zaino looks great on metallic paint, also been hearing a lot about Jetseal though..)

How am I doing so far? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by airs; 04-28-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i space grey/black

For the interior, imho Cockpit Premium by EinsZett (1Z) is one of the best products ever! Cleans great, smells great, leaves no glossy surface, just looks new. Plastik Ringeriner is also awesome if you have really dirty plastic. Z9/10/16 from Zaino also very good products for leather cleaner/care/tire gloss respectively. The tire gloss is just phenomenal, the tire looks new and clean, but not greasy or oily and its antistatic properties help keep it looking great. I used to use the Perls shampoo by 1Z as well, I really liked it, but wanted to try a foam gun and its a polymer and doesn't bubble so I got Adams carwash for this purpose. I love the foam gun, but I am going to try Zaino shampoos/cleaners as I didn't care much for Adams. I think it's all about trying products and figuring out what works for you. I used my GLI as my detailing test car, and I have the 3/4 full bottles in the closet to prove it.
Good luck have fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Linoleum87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135 M sport

I use the 303 and I like it so far. I've also used the Meguiar's clay bar kit, and it was fine. I have Poorboy's wheel sealant and its good stuff.

I just got the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Daily with extreme suds II and tried it on the weekend. It foams up very nicely and did a good job.

Dont forget to grab a bunch of microfiber towels, and a bunch of quick detailer (I swear its called quick detailer because you go through it SO DAMNED QUICKLY!). I also have Stoner's Invisible Glass for all of my windows, and Rainx (although others swear by Aquapel).

It really does come down to getting a few things, trying them out, and seeing if you like the way they work and the way the car looks. I'm happy with mine after I do a detail session and therefore I like the products I've selected.

Have fun!
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
225/40/18 255/35/18
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I say go with the Zaino clay and all Zaino wax/sealants and not bother with the Meguire's gold class. There is lots of VERY satisfied Zaino users on this site so why not use all Zaino stuff? Remember some leather protectant.
I have switched to microfibre wash mitts instead of sheepskin. They work well and I throw them in the wash often to make sure they are clean of dirt.
Get several good microfibre drying towels when you order your other stuff. I have used the Mequire's ones (good) and the Griot's ones (great but $).
Enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Be careful of the Sheepskin mits, I think it is leaving swirls on mine.

Nice choice with the Flex, you won't be disappointed!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
airs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice everyone Going to add in the Zaino tire dressing and maybe a bottle of Z-8.

Any thoughts on Jetseal vs Zaino for Space Gray? Or should I look elsewhere?

What should I use to protect/condition my leatherette seats? Guessing 1Z/303?

Jack - what would be a better solution for a wash mitt? Sponge?

Last edited by airs; 04-28-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I like your list of products overall. I love the 303 AP, Foamaster II, EZ Detail Brush, Sheepskin Wash Mitt, PBW Wheel Sealant, Flex, etc. I don't have any major suggestions but here are few thoughts. I I typically use the white pad and PO106FA and an orange pad with the PO83. Certainly there are other acceptable combos but these are my most common. For protection I have found nothing to be durable than the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109. I would apply this with the blue fine finishing pad. I've used a ton of sealants and I like so many of them so it's hard for them to stand out, but the Jetseal 109 did that. It's protection is outstanding and it looks great on all colors while easy to use.

For tire dressing I love the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright and the Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel. Both are outstanding products that look great on the tires. The Lake Country Tire Dressing Applicator is great for applying any dressing. For the leather it's hard to say what conditions/protects best. For cleaning and conditioning I highly recommend the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil. They have deep cleaning and conditioning power to make the seats look and feel new. If you prefer a simpler step the Poorboy's World Leather Stuff is a great option. The 303 Aerospace Protectant is my product of choice for UV protection. The products slogan is "SPF 40 for your stuff". I love it on my seats, dashboard, doors, console, rubber trim, exterior trim, engine bay and more. It works on just about anything rubber, leather, vinyl, plastic and more.

At www.DetailedImage.com we offer 10% off to 1Addicts.com members with the coupon code 10offBMW1. This is valid on almost all individual items excluding buffers and specials. I also implore you to check out our Flex XC 3401 VRG Two Step Polishing Kit. It contains the Flex XC 3401 VRG, 8x pads (of your choice), 3x Snappy Clean, Menzerna PO106FA and Menzerna PO83 already discounted.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by airs View Post

Jack - what would be a better solution for a wash mitt? Sponge?
I was told I should use a cotton mitt.......I have not yet tried one myself though so use either at your own caution!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
airs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, thanks Jack.

And thanks for the detailed reply Greg. If I do end up going with the Jetseal, what would you recommend applying over the top of it for Space Gray?
      04-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
SlapSmak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Jet Seal is a sealant, I.E. last coat.
If you want some added pop, some pure carnuba, P21s, Supernatural, many others to choose from on DI's site...
Swissvax Crystal Rock if you have a grand sitting around you want to spend...
      04-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
airs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got it, thanks.
      04-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by airs View Post
Sounds good, thanks Jack.

And thanks for the detailed reply Greg. If I do end up going with the Jetseal, what would you recommend applying over the top of it for Space Gray?
The Jetseal 109 is certainly shinny enough and strong enough to protect the paint by itself. You can stop there or add some extra gloss with a nice carnauba wax. If you would like some extra gloss I do have a few outstanding recommendations for the Space Gray. The Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Edition Concourse Wax and the Dodo Juice Rainforest Run are some of my top choices. I love these waxes and their results with lots of protection and gloss. If you want a more affordable choice wax try the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax, it's an excellent value. I hand apply all of these options. If you need any more details please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0